Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Tarot and Oracle Cards

Old 15-08-2015, 09:35 AM
Master
Book1 10 of Swords reversed

I've been doing a bit of book study on the Tarot, and am having problems with the 10 of Swords reversed.

I've read some fairly contradictory meanings - some saying things are going to get worse, or there isn't going to be any change to a bad present situation.

Some others though, say it's the end to the general suffering, hardship, etc, etc.

Has anyone had any firsthand experience with this card in readings?

If this card was to come up in an outcome position (for example) and it's clear the person concerned has been through a rough time, how can you determine if things are going to get better, or stay the same, or get somewhat worse?

I'm confused
Old 15-08-2015, 12:17 PM
Master

Here is the tricky thing about Tarot - a card CAN mean a whole lot of (even contradictory) things and it's up to the reader to figure out which.

When this card comes up for me, it can represent a range of things including "whoo hoo, the worst is over and you can start healing now" or "Dude, seriously. You're the only one clutching that dagger to your chest. Let it go and move on".

When in doubt, I tend to a) listen to my intuition, or b) contextualise with reference to the other cards in the spread (this is where your choice of spread can come in handy*), or c) add a clarifying card (mentioned here in order of my personal preference).

* = for example, if I got 10 of Swords rev in the Outcome position, something really positive like The Star in a 'Need to Know/Challenge' position would indicate to me things are lightening up, whereas something like Queen of Swords rev or 9 of Swords in the same position may indicate to me that the querent has issues they need to address on the inside.
Old 15-08-2015, 12:36 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by tealily
Here is the tricky thing about Tarot - a card CAN mean a whole lot of (even contradictory) things and it's up to the reader to figure out which.

When this card comes up for me, it can represent a range of things including "whoo hoo, the worst is over and you can start healing now" or "Dude, seriously. You're the only one clutching that dagger to your chest. Let it go and move on".

When in doubt, I tend to a) listen to my intuition, or b) contextualise with reference to the other cards in the spread (this is where your choice of spread can come in handy*), or c) add a clarifying card (mentioned here in order of my personal preference).

* = for example, if I got 10 of Swords rev in the Outcome position, something really positive like The Star in a 'Need to Know/Challenge' position would indicate to me things are lightening up, whereas something like Queen of Swords rev or 9 of Swords in the same position may indicate to me that the querent has issues they need to address on the inside.

Got it - thanks tealily!
Old 15-08-2015, 12:43 PM
Master

np!

I've recently started approaching Tarot from a "the cards are trying to be helpful - what is it that they're saying?" perspective. Unless I'm being stupid and picking a really bad spread, the answer is usually there when I spend time looking for it.

Otherwise as Theresa Reed likes to say, when in doubt revisit. Sometimes I'll take a photo and come back later
Old 15-08-2015, 01:43 PM
55Degrees

If it's RWS, the 10 of swords Rx shows the person upside down, those swords are going to drop out. I see it as something that can be recovered from, even though the scars may run deep, as opposed to upright when it basically tells you game over.
It's one reason I journal all of my (personal) readings, it's interesting to go back to them later and have that sense of 'oh, that's what the card was telling me'.
I have a journal for each deck I use, and a general one (its actually an A4 ringbinder) to note down readings and reference the deck I used in that, it makes looking them back up later much easier than trawling through a pile of journals (I have a lot of decks )