Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Health

Old 29-05-2015, 04:52 PM
Master

I found this in Cooking Light Magazine dated Jan/Feb 2011:

Poultry’s Salty Little Secret by Janet Helm, MS, RD

“As American as boneless skinless chicken breast” doesn’t have quite the same ring to it as “American as apple pie,” but it’s far more appropriate: We eat an average of 87 pounds of chicken per year, up 81% from 48 pounds in 1980. This makes the plumping practice in poultry processing even more troubling.

About one third of the fresh chicken found in supermarket meat cases has been synthetically saturated with a mix of water, salt and other additives via needle injections and high-pressure vacuum tumbling. The process is designed to make naturally lean poultry meat juicier and more tender. A 4-ounce serving of what the industry calls “enhanced” poultry can contain as much as 440mg sodium. That’s nearly one-fifth of the current 2,300mg daily sodium allotment-from a source you’d never expect.

Worse, it’s 500% more sodium than is found naturally in untreated chicken. Yet the word “natural” can be used on the labels of these injected birds. USDA labeling policies give poultry companies a green light to label their enhanced products “100% natural” or “all natural,” even though they’ve been injected with ingredients in concentrations that do not naturally occur in a chicken. (Like many foods, chicken contains trace amounts of sodium and other minerals.)

With injections totaling 15% or more of the meat’s weight, a 7-pound enhanced chicken might net only 6 pounds of meat. Do the math: At $2.99 per pound, you’ve paid a premium of up to $0.45 per pound for added salt and water. Each year, this costs Americans about $2 billion, according to the Truthful Labeling Coalition, a trade group started by poultry producers who want to put an end to misleading labels on enhanced products.
At a time when sodium consumption has risen to the top of public health issues-and when at press time we expected to hear soon about a government move to lower sodium recommendations-here’s an example of salt being needlessly added to fresh, whole foods.

Processors are required to disclose the injections, but the lettering on the packaging can be small and inconspicuous. To know if you’re picking up an enhanced product, squint at the fine print, which will list something like, “contains up to 15% chicken broth.” You can also check the ingredients list, and, of course, look for the sodium content on the Nutrition Facts label. If the chicken is truly natural, the sodium content won’t stray higher than 70mg per serving.

What you do with your chicken or turkey once you get it home is another story. However, at that point you are consciously choosing to add sodium, and you can control the amount you use. Seasoning a chicken breast with 1/8 teaspoon salt will add 250mg sodium-a healthier choice that you’ll be much happier making if that same chicken breast doesn’t come preloaded with 440mg of the salty stuff.

---------------------

Mind you this article is 4 years old and I have seen the labeling on the chicken packages that say broth is added. These come from major food companies targets the high-end consumer.

But I’d also like to bring your attention to the first paragraph where it says: “a mix of water, salt and other additives”. “Other additives” could very well be a corn based product. I don’t know that for sure, but I know I sure cannot eat store-bought chicken.

Then I found this: It's not entirely fair to single out chicken. According to McMillin, most pork sold in this country is plumped, and about a third of the beef. But the producers of these meats have brought a level of finesse to the process, tailoring the type and amount of added liquid to the specific cut of meat so that the results are more, well, meaty. Source: http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jan...ken4-2010jan04

I'm trying to find a list of what they actually use for this enhancement solution but so far this is the closest I have found: Most people are unaware of it, but conventional chicken meat typically contains a whole lot more than just chicken, as it is often "plumped" up with brine (salt water), chicken stock, flavor and texture-enhancing chemicals, and even the waste byproducts of other animals that can constitute as much as 30 percent of the meat's total weight. Source: http://www.naturalnews.com/037153_fo...n_fillers.html
Old 10-06-2015, 02:02 PM
Master

I'm sure I've mentioned before that I cannot eat any meat or meat byproducts, like cheese and eggs from animals that were fed a diet of corn.

I was at the grocery store yesterday and passed the egg section. A little voice inside my head said to check and see if they might have some pasture fed chicken eggs. To my utter amazement, they did! I got them at City Market/Kroger. They are called Pasture-Raised Alfresco Eggs by Vital Farms. I am so happy. I can bake and cook again using eggs!
Old 07-07-2015, 09:31 PM
Master

I finally found a canned tomato sauce/paste product that I can tolerate!

It is by Bionaturae and it is considered a tomato paste. No matter; it can be reconstituted into a sauce when needed.

This will tide me over until I can preserve my own tomato sauce later this summer when tomatoes are plentiful.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:17 PM
Master

I finally went to Whole Foods Market for the first time yesterday. What an array of foods! All from people who acknowledge food additives in big box food companies is killing us!

I did choose some Rockfish from their fresh seafood section. And didn't get a reaction from it last night.

I bought several different other foods to try as well. I will try to post results as I try each.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:23 PM
Master

Candies. Most are made with high fructose corn syrup anymore. But two stand alone and continue to use their original recipes.

Hershey's Chocolate Bar and Heath Bar (with a crunchy toffee center). Those are the only candies I can eat anymore. So my hat off to Hershey's and Heath. Thank you!
Old 15-07-2015, 12:43 PM
Master

Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through this massive food culling period all over again :( But at the same time I'm happy because it means you're finding things you can add to the 'Safe List', and that's always good.

Keep up the good (if exhaustive) work!
Old 15-07-2015, 10:00 PM
Master

Thanks tealily. I consider my cup half full (rather than half empty). I started out with nothing and have grown my safe food list to quite a few tasty items!
Old 21-07-2015, 12:23 PM
Master

Since I am now almost 100% corn free I have been in observation of my sleeping habits. I mentioned before, I believe, I wondered if my insomnia was related to the corn (or gluten) in my diet.

I have a bad night about twice a month, but generally I am sleeping through the night now. And yes, I do believe my avoidance of corn and gluten has some kind of link to that.

Also, I have had extremely (cracked) dry skin for the last 15 years. But now I have soft skin full of moisture. I used to shy away from soaps of any kind because they made my skin even worse. Now, I have no problems with soaps of all kinds, i.e., dish soaps, laundry soaps, hand/body soaps.
Old 27-07-2015, 02:45 PM
Master

oh wow, that's amazing! :) Glad to hear you're enjoying some benefits :)
Old 27-07-2015, 03:42 PM
Master

It's a page turning experience tealily!