Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Science & Spirituality

Old 11-11-2020, 04:33 AM
Deactivated Account

Mental health and spirituality.

I know all the doctors I have seen in the past have all told me there is no such thing as magick and such. But sometimes I wonder if mental health issues aren't just a strong lingering curse. I mean psychiatry is sort subjective to the accepted reality. And like I said all the doctors I have talked to don't believe Magick is real. Or at least that is what they say. So how does science bridge that gap. If science can't validate the unseen world they can never accept it as a reality. And never really deal with the underlying problems with mental health. That is of course if mental health issues are caused by something other than just a chemical imbalance in the brain.
Old 11-11-2020, 09:27 AM
Master
Hello,

You have just described the state of our mental health professionals quite accurately. It is really not their fault they think this way. That is how they have been trained.

How can you move beyond their limitations is the question. I guess that depends on what you are looking for. Magic is real yet not attainable for many who have blocks and self imposed restrictions. What is it you want to establish for yourself?

John

http://www.telepathyacademy.net/
Old 11-11-2020, 10:09 PM
Administrator
I would have to agree with John on this

Namaste
Old 11-11-2020, 11:07 PM
Lorelyen

Psychiatry is something of a discredited profession. It seeks to medicalise daily life, assigns disorders or syndromes to behaviours that don't fit with the social/cultural norms. In some cases where aberrant behaviour is dangerous, a good thing.

The DSM is a classification of mental disorders agreed by psychiatrists but mostly through discussion and consensus. New ones are added, old ones are abandoned, like homosexuality was finally removed as a mental disease sometime in the 1990s I believe. (You could do some research on the DSM if you choose. A couple of useful books are "The Meaning of Mind" by Thomas Szasz, and "Cracked" by James Davies.)

Their problem is that as yet, most of these disorders can't be traced to a biological cause and yet as critics point out they medicate people, the medicine affect the biology. That may alter a condition or hold it in abeyance but it doesn't advance understanding of a condition.

Taking just a simple example - someone may feel depressed. That may go on record as "suffering from depression" as if a disease. Even now in the DSM depression as a result of bereavement is classed as a disease (unless in DSM V it's been withdrawn). Clearly depression can arise from many situations but... a disease? And "sufferers" are given some pretty powerful chemicals to deal with it. They numb the brain (in simple terms) but don't treat any outward causes. (I'm thinking about SSRIs that alter the working of synapses in the brain's nerves.

It starts to get political thereafter. The entire practice is supported by big pharma. At that point I have to stop.

As long as you're aware that a psychiatrist will give you an opinion without any biologically supported diagnosis.

They don't deal with spiritual matters or those concerning a "patient's" unique experiences. John32241 sums it up.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:54 PM
Master
The pharmaceutical industry makes trillions of dollars every year (I think much more during this pandemic). If the "cure" doesn't require drugs or long term talk therapy then where is the money? Makes you wonder. If we look closer it's society that's sick and sick individuals are only the symptom.
Old 12-11-2020, 02:20 AM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguyscott
I know all the doctors I have seen in the past have all told me there is no such thing as magick and such. But sometimes I wonder if mental health issues aren't just a strong lingering curse. I mean psychiatry is sort subjective to the accepted reality. And like I said all the doctors I have talked to don't believe Magick is real. Or at least that is what they say. So how does science bridge that gap. If science can't validate the unseen world they can never accept it as a reality. And never really deal with the underlying problems with mental health. That is of course if mental health issues are caused by something other than just a chemical imbalance in the brain.

Yeah I don't bring anything up involving a belief system. They will just pass them off as the illness or disorder & to engage in such a topic would be understood as validating our delusions. Even if the doctor or therapist personally believes in what you are bringing up they likely won't talk about it because of how that industry conditions their workers. If that makes any sense, lol.

I understand exactly what you are getting at though & I agree with the heart of it. I do look at my conditions as a great source of spiritual strength, & it is. BUT at the same time I have learned that it is important to be grounded in logic & more in my body. I have a strong connection to my intuitive/psychic side that is made possible due to the physical reasons behind my disorders. Like brain chemicals, wiring, how the psyche developed. Even though the last one might be more psychological than physical.

To be honest, I believe these Healthcare workers have good reason not to really engage any of their patients in anything like that. Alot of it has to due with who the individual is as a person, if that makes any sense. I have come across several people on this website with diagnosed schizophrenia and a few other similar disorders. Mostly Schizophrenics though. So yeah probably a good handful of people taking a spiritual approach to their disorders, using it as a strength too. But idk I feel the overall majority of the people are.....idk the right word..asleep maybe? Idk but ik you know what I am saying. Some people are just nasty people as it is and a lot are good. Just the same as people without mental disorders.

I just play their game. I respect the doctors for what they are I guess. They have dedicated their lives to a career in mental health so I try not to undermine them. But I have to use my best judgment first and foremost. I've luckily got paired up with a good psychiatrist earlier this year when my previous dr (he was alright, not great but ok) retired early due to the pandemic. Anyway I just give the facts and listen to what she has to say. I've basically just let her decide my medicines, but I've had myself basically in charge when it comes to one medicine because of the physical side effects.

That's just what I think. I have been on medicines for 3 years straight. I've learned i do need them, i do so much better. Right now, I feel they are beneficial. If I ever feel the need to get off of it, I will cross that road when I get there.

I like it here because there is more of an open minded view on mental health all in all. Plus there are others such as yourself to speak to regarding the spiritual side to it all.

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."

~ Albert Einstein &/or Bob Samples

"However rare true love may be, it is less so than true friendship."

~ Albert Einstein

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

~Thomas Jefferson
______

EXISTENCE IS PAIN
______

Old 12-11-2020, 02:38 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by John32241
Hello,

You have just described the state of our mental health professionals quite accurately. It is really not their fault they think this way. That is how they have been trained.

How can you move beyond their limitations is the question. I guess that depends on what you are looking for. Magic is real yet not attainable for many who have blocks and self imposed restrictions. What is it you want to establish for yourself?

John

I guess that would be the real thing I am looking for where magic is concerned. Moving past my blocks. Not entirely sure they are self imposed though. If they are in fact self imposed then it must be something very deep in my psych that I have yet to understand and change on a conscious level.
Old 12-11-2020, 03:06 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguyscott
I guess that would be the real thing I am looking for where magic is concerned. Moving past my blocks. Not entirely sure they are self imposed though. If they are in fact self imposed then it must be something very deep in my psych that I have yet to understand and change on a conscious level.
I didn't understand from your first post on this thread what kind of issues you are alluding to, but from your second post I deduce that you identified some blocks you'd like to remove. If this is the case, I recommend you either visit a reputable hypnotherapist, or learn and use self-hypnosis. I'd recommend the latter, as you could use it longer term, being cheaper too.

With self-hypnosis you can put yourself into a light trance, identify your blocks, which might be caused by unconscious beliefs, then give your subconscious suggestions to replace those beliefs with useful ones. This is a great way to deal with undesirable habits, some physical and psychological conditions, physical and mental personal development, ...
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 12-11-2020, 03:14 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelyen
Psychiatry is something of a discredited profession. It seeks to medicalise daily life, assigns disorders or syndromes to behaviours that don't fit with the social/cultural norms. In some cases where aberrant behaviour is dangerous, a good thing.

The DSM is a classification of mental disorders agreed by psychiatrists but mostly through discussion and consensus. New ones are added, old ones are abandoned, like homosexuality was finally removed as a mental disease sometime in the 1990s I believe. (You could do some research on the DSM if you choose. A couple of useful books are "The Meaning of Mind" by Thomas Szasz, and "Cracked" by James Davies.)

Their problem is that as yet, most of these disorders can't be traced to a biological cause and yet as critics point out they medicate people, the medicine affect the biology. That may alter a condition or hold it in abeyance but it doesn't advance understanding of a condition.

Taking just a simple example - someone may feel depressed. That may go on record as "suffering from depression" as if a disease. Even now in the DSM depression as a result of bereavement is classed as a disease (unless in DSM V it's been withdrawn). Clearly depression can arise from many situations but... a disease? And "sufferers" are given some pretty powerful chemicals to deal with it. They numb the brain (in simple terms) but don't treat any outward causes. (I'm thinking about SSRIs that alter the working of synapses in the brain's nerves.

It starts to get political thereafter. The entire practice is supported by big pharma. At that point I have to stop.

As long as you're aware that a psychiatrist will give you an opinion without any biologically supported diagnosis.

They don't deal with spiritual matters or those concerning a "patient's" unique experiences. John32241 sums it up.

I understand the what you are saying. I understand it can be beneficial for some people to be numbed I guess. If they are homicidal or wanting to hurt people or themselves. I am definitely suspicious of the pharma industry and always looking for a treatment instead of a cure. I honestly don't know how people work through mental health issues without becoming aware and trying to deal with it mentally in some way.

I guess the real problem is without a clear understanding of the cause there will never be a cure.
Old 12-11-2020, 03:18 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uma
The pharmaceutical industry makes trillions of dollars every year (I think much more during this pandemic). If the "cure" doesn't require drugs or long term talk therapy then where is the money? Makes you wonder. If we look closer it's society that's sick and sick individuals are only the symptom.

I know it is all about the money and power.