Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 20-04-2024, 01:38 AM
Guide
Foods rich in Ojas

Asking this here because I don't know where else to put it...

While i'm not looking for a Google search result, I'm wanting to ask who here has been eating Ojas rich foods and which ones over long periods of time.
Old 20-04-2024, 10:43 AM
Master
My mum is very careful with her diet. She eats fresh fruit and veg every day and is careful with meat and sugar.
She is 87 but looks like a 60 year old. Very healthy.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 20-04-2024, 12:26 PM
To save members time looking this up, since this is an English speaking Forum*: ojas

'Ojas is a Sanskrit term that can be translated as “vigor” or “essence of vitality.”
In a nutshell, ojas is the vital energy that rules our immunity,
strength, and happiness—three things we want to have in abundance.
If our ojas is weak, our health, our spirits, and our energy sag.'

*If you feel you 'must' use a non-English word or some ancient word no one knows or some acronym not
many would ever know, at least
follow it with a definition. Thank you.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 21-04-2024, 02:00 AM
Guide
Thanks, from what I've seen the importance is on FRESH produce and like you said, avoiding types of sugars.

Oh ok thanks Miss Hepburn.
The importance of the Ojas is in general as described and also specific to being vital towards Kundalini shakti.
Not so much in"pranic" expression in my own rote yet I wondered if putting this in the Hinduism forum would yield a better discussion vs dropping it elsewhere.
Old 21-04-2024, 04:20 AM
Master
The Hinduism section seems like a good place for it.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 21-04-2024, 01:59 PM
Master

foods rich in ojas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apakhana Akshobhya
Asking this here because I don't know where else to put it...

While i'm not looking for a Google search result, I'm wanting to ask who here has been eating Ojas rich foods and which ones over long periods of time.

Ojas means light /illumination /divine light . This means you want to know foods that increases our spiritual orientation ie Satvic food in Gita terminology. As per Gita chapter 17 verse 8 ,Foods that bequeath longevity, full of energy, bestow good health and vigor with happiness and satisfaction lead to orientation towards goodness. Such foods increase life and are juicy, savory, rich and nourishing, like invigorating serum which remains long in the body and are agreeable and pleasing to the palate. Foods of this type which are chewed, licked, sucked and drunk are relished.
So Freshly cooked food , fresh fruit/vegetables , juicy food , with ghee/oil/butter are foods that can help us in our orientation towards goodness.

Further we should also bear in mind that our thoughts are also our mental food . So quality of our thoughts too impact our orientation towards light. And changing the quality of thoughts comes only through firm commitment and consistent practice as a habit.

So good food coupled with good thoughts can increase our orientation towards to divinity.
Old 22-04-2024, 08:40 AM
Ascender
Quote:
I wondered if putting this in the Hinduism forum would yield a better discussion vs dropping it elsewhere.
Even in Hinduism section people may not be able to differentiate Ojas vs Tejas vs Prarna increasing foods.There's an Ayurveda section if you want to try that out.
Old 22-04-2024, 08:43 AM
Master

Fresh vegetarian food is highly rich in prana. With time, the prana may reduce and after a few hours it will become stale inducing tamas.

The mindset while preparing the food is also important. If it is making and eating the food in a meditative mindset, with loving and grateful attitude, chanting and prayer, the prana and ojas will be in an optimal state. It also reflects in better taste as well which is tangible.

Such food can enhance and ensure meditation and positivity throughout the day, and can enhance physical health and remove ill-health as well.

Hence a good cook having such attributes qualifies as a good healer as well.

Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost.~ Buddha AN 10.1

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the (turbulent) mind. ~ Rajini Menon
Old 22-04-2024, 11:48 AM
Master
After having some training in nutrition and fitness and health and never having heard of ojas, I'm highly skeptical that it's a real thing, but there are better or worse ways of getting your calories (energy from food), so I think people before we knew real science had their own way of imagining a healthy diet as opposed to a bad diet, but had no knowledge of specifics such as calories, vitamins, minerals, fibre etc. and so on, because they couldn't actually measure anything.

The other consideration is, this sort of nutritional philosophy came from a particular geographic region, whereas peoples from different regions and climates had different sorts of food. Hence 'oga' may work well from an Indus Valley Indian perspective, but has no application for aboriginal nomads in the desert.

The beauty of modern nutrition is we can apply the same principles to different people with different diets, and the now long dead Indians who invented the oga concepts would be impressed by how far we have come with nutrition in our modern day.

I can only suggest people don't go down a mystical road with nutrition when having a balanced and healthy relationship with food is undermined by different ways of thinking, none more so than spiritual ideas. IOW, it's fine to take some ideas from this way of thinking about food, but it can be messed up if it goes too far
Old 22-04-2024, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Thanks, from what I've seen the importance is on FRESH produce and like you said, avoiding types of sugars.

The importance of the Ojas is in general as described and also specific to being vital towards Kundalini shakti.
Just to comment - I know eating Yin foods can get a person, um...
how to say it...spacey and sometimes 'higher'.
I knew 2 gals that only ate raw things, no meat, flour, coffee, tobacco.. purists ---one cured herself of cancer
at 22 years old, along with fasting..
Man! Their eyes were like 'kaleidoscope eyes'.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru