Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 12-06-2012, 10:18 PM
Master
The literal 6 day creation in Genesis.

What do you think about the Genesis account of the wolds creation in 6 days.

Was it possible, did it happen or was the 6 days the Authors best way of describing the time period.

I know Genesis is Poetic in the way it was written and I personally suspect the latter as that fits in with a creation/evolution model.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Experiencer
In my opinion, it's entirely poetic. There's really no reason to insist that the "days" of Genesis are in any way literal, as the same word is used for various ages and periods of time.

I look at it this way. When what you THINK the Bible is saying seems to clearly contradict facts... re-examine your interpretation of the Bible. If I assume there is only ONE interpretation of scripture... and that I know it... I'm in for some aggravation.
that which is within you will destroy you."

- The Gospel of Thomas (70)

http://pathstoknowledge.com
Old 12-06-2012, 10:31 PM
Master
maybe we made life hard for ourselves. At school I tried to use my naive literal stance on creation to got me out of studying evolution in science which didn't work. I only learned the 6 day creation thing was fact that by someone who told it to me.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:51 PM
Master

We have lots of people in the US that believe in the 6-day creation. They fight to teach it in public schools. I think it's fine to believe what you want, but don't sabotage science for the rest of us.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:36 PM
Master
Misconception

Another misconception having to do with Ego and human nature.

A good book to read is "The Way" from the Kabbalah Center. It will remind Christians of both Jesus teachings, and what we have learned from modern physics.
"Days", can be translated as, "ages".

What the, "Fall", is about has to do with ,"time/space" construct in which we find ourselves, in this material frequency, and world.
The greater reality involves the spirit, and the timeless, or, Eternity.

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein
Old 12-06-2012, 11:52 PM
TeeHee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
Another misconception having to do with Ego and human nature.

A good book to read is "The Way" from the Kabbalah Center. It will remind Christians of both Jesus teachings, and what we have learned from modern physics.
"Days", can be translated as, "ages".

What the, "Fall", is about has to do with ,"time/space" construct in which we find ourselves, in this material frequency, and world.
The greater reality involves the spirit, and the timeless, or, Eternity.

In reference to the ages, this is why genealogies cannot be used to tract the age of the earth.
Shortening genealogies by omitting names was commonplace. Matthew's genealogy of Jesus exhibits a pattern in which three sets of 14 generations are achieved (Mt 1:17). The number 14 was desirable because of the importance attributed to the symbolic meaning of seven ("complete, perfect"). Thus "Joram fathered Uzziah" (Mt 1:8 ) omits three generations (2 Ch 21:4-26:33) so as to accomplish the desired number (cp. Ezr. 7:1-5 with 1 Ch6).

From this example we discover another unexpected feature in biblical genealogies. Genetic terms, such as "son of" and "father," were flexible in meaning sometimes indicating a "descendant" and "grandfather or forefather." The word "daughter," for example, could mean a subordinate village affiliated with a nearby city and thus be translated "surrounding settlements" (Jdg 1:27, NIV).
Old 12-06-2012, 11:41 PM
TeeHee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworkerAu

Was it possible, did it happen or was the 6 days the Authors best way of describing the time period.

I know Genesis is Poetic in the way it was written and I personally suspect the latter as that fits in with a creation/evolution model.

When you start applying your own "interpretation" you open up a slippery slope of degrading the entire Word. What do you mean by "literally"? When most people say "literal", they seem to assume that there is only one way to approach the text literally -- that "of course" is if you take certain phrases to be literal and others to be metaphors, and that all other combinations of literal and metaphor are then incorrect.

I could argue that the following approach to Genesis is literal:
  1. God creates the world in six periods (not 24-hour days)
  2. A large flood happened, which covered (from Noah's perspective) the entire world
  3. God caused a confusion of languages when people were building the tower of Babel.

When most people say literal, I imagine they mean this:
  1. God created the earth in six 24-hour days about 6000 years ago
  2. God caused a truly worldwide flood, all animal species were saved on the ark, etc.
  3. God created a bunch of languages at Babel

Anyhoot, in regards to describing the time period, according to science lets not forget that the earth was flat, so I suppose you could explore any possibilities of days and nights not equating to one earth rotation (model your interpretation based on a flat earth). However, the book of Job (regardless of being the most poetic), long before science had said the earth was round, stated that it was so.

I was with you until you put a divider between creation and evolution. Show me proof of the evolutionary process in the macro world, perhaps show how intelligence came into existence, or how complex life evolved from simplistic ancestors? From all that I have heard from one atheist troll after another, is one must have lots of imagination to accept evolution, and this comes by way by secular/atheist scientist. After all they will reject any notion of an intelligent designer because of the implications that that might have.

I believe that the earth was created in six days, and higher working created in the seventh (healing and Sabbath) while I hold a literal interpretation to Genesis, I don't believe that it tells the whole story. But the six days, is elsewhere in the Bible. And Jesus quotes Genesis as being an authoritative.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:50 PM
Master
Evolution after all, is all about, "Time".
A "literal" 6 day creation, or, a creation involving evolution and 6 ages is a moot issue, since we are to understand today that time is illusory, (and involving space and gravity), and the greater reality is about the timeless, or, Eternity.

Thus also, the illustration of the Wachowski's movie is confirmed.

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein
Old 13-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworkerAu

Hi Lightworkerau,

I'm definitely in the "it's poetic" side of things. But, to me, it makes no difference as it has no impact whatsoever on the message of Christ. I think it's there to give a "Creation Story" to the Christianity constructed by that those who created the Bible.

But, as I said, it makes no difference to me as it has no affect on Jesus' message. So I'm more in the "meh" category.
Old 13-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Master
Not too long ago, in the area of Turkey, remnants of a buried civilization was found, dated to twelve thousand years.
People have asked questions, such as who did Cain marry, and etc.

One explanation was that the genetics were so pure towards the beginning, that it was okay for people to marry their relatives. As in the fountainhead of a stream which is pure, and gets muddier as it travels downward.

However, the above link provided is plausable, given the understanding of revelations of physics, and the understanding of things involving a greater reality apart from time, (and space). Or, "Spirit".
If the, "Dragon", is about the carnal, physical, and involving the reptilian brain; and, the "Fall" about the present material world which changed, we can see how humanity has it's origins in the, "Angelic", and timeless, and scripture in Revelation about the dragon drawing a third of the "Stars" to the Earth with his tail, is about humanity.
In the same text after all, is depiction of the "Woman" (Israel), with the Sun, Moon, and "Stars" over her head.

In accordance with the illustration of "The Matrix", we can see how mankind has an eternal, and timeless aspect, or "angelic", and everything in the Bible also aligns with the Far Eastern perspective, and teachings.

Quote:

From this example we discover another unexpected feature in biblical genealogies. Genetic terms, such as "son of" and "father," were flexible in meaning sometimes indicating a "descendant" and "grandfather or forefather."
The word "daughter," for example, could mean a subordinate village affiliated with a nearby city and thus be translated "surrounding settlements" (Jdg 1:27, NIV).

If time was not a factor in the Garden of Eden, then, we count time in the Bible from the Fall, true?