Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 22-05-2012, 04:44 AM
TeeHee

Inspiration of the Bible

In what sense, or to what extent, is the Bible inspired?

(1) Did the Bible writers really claim inspiration?
(2) Did God actually guide the words the men chose in expressing the teachings? Did they say that what they wrote was God's will?
(3) Could it be that some words in the writings of men were true and accurate, but some may have been mistaken in some way?
Old 22-05-2012, 04:56 AM
trappedinabody

my belief is it may have originally been inspired by the word of god but i know it has been changed both unintentionally thru misinterpretation and also purposely to cause fear, gaining certain people control
Old 22-05-2012, 05:04 AM
TeeHee

Quote:
Originally Posted by trappedinabody
my belief is it may have originally been inspired by the word of god but i know it has been changed both unintentionally thru misinterpretation and also purposely to cause fear, gaining certain people control

Can you define what it means for Scripture to be "inspired?" Why is it your belief that Scripture may have originally been inspired, and you mentioned interpretation and that you "know" (how?). Is it your belief that the Bible in an "interpretative form" has been copied down through the millenniums? I suppose you're referring to the way the news interprets what the President has to say, then, presents it to the public? Perhaps you can answer some of the questions, both of which are presented in the Op and this post?

Thanks
Old 22-05-2012, 02:10 PM
I'm not touching this because I am no Bible scholar.
But I will be reading, thus, wanted to post to get notifications.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 22-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Mind's Eye

The Bible has some fine messages within its pages; but the truth is, there's nothing that has been written in the Bible, both old and new Testament that has not been told, verbatim, in other religions. It does appear that the Hebrew writers borrowed heavily from the ancient Egyptian culture and many of its myths... there was even mention in the Egyptian writings of the Christ Spirit that would be born in the hearts of all men and renew humanity.

I could write numerous paragraphs here about the many Egyptian gods that were born of virgin women, had twelve apostles, healed the sick, raised the dead, walked on water and instituted a eucharistic meal with bread and wine. There truly is not one story in the Bible that was not told in ancient Egypt.. not to mention other cultures as well.

Many well meaning Christians refute this and say that it is not so, or that it was Satan copying the plan of God in order to confuse people... But that is just unrealistic. A little honest study into this matter will show that the Bible writers did in fact borrow from ancient Egyptian myths while compiling their books.

But does this mean that the Bible is useless, and Christianity a lie? Not at all... There are a great many universal truths expressed within its pages. However I do believe that the literalist interpretation of the Bible and the religion that stems from that view has harmed the authenticity of the religion. Christianity was more of a mystical religion in its early days, and if one looks into the matter he will find that there were many kinds of Christians scattered across the spiritual landscape. But naturally, after Constantine legalized the religion and began to stamp out those who didn't see it his way, well naturally, it started to take the shape that we see today. But if Constantine never happened, we would probably have a very different and mystical version of Christianity today.
Old 22-05-2012, 04:01 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
wanted to post to get notifications.
You can get notifications of a thread without posting in it. Just click on the Thread Tools button at the top of the thread and select Subscribe to this Thread.
Old 22-05-2012, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind's Eye
But if Constantine never happened, we would
probably have a very different and mystical version of Christianity today.
Yes, you are probably very right on that.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 22-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Bluegreen

Has anyone ever wondered about the mechanics of receiving the word of God?
How did the word of God come to the men who wrote it down.
How did Moses receive the five books attributed to him ?
Old 22-05-2012, 08:28 PM
TeeHee

Inspired: The breath of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeHee
In what sense, or to what extent, is the Bible inspired?

(1) Did the Bible writers really claim inspiration?
(2) Did God actually guide the words the men chose in expressing the teachings? Did they say that what they wrote was God's will?
(3) Could it be that some words in the writings of men were true and accurate, but some may have been mistaken in some way?

http://www.gospelway.com/bible/bible_inspiration.php

The Original Op questions presented are shared as is in a program that I am taking. On a personal note, these are part of research in order to answer "why" I believe. The questions and research have really been an eye opener in this discipleship program, I'm realizing that most of my and other arguments/debates in life and on various forums are engaged with people who have no knowledge as to why they believe or continually object to all that pertains to Christianity. They and I have been at fault to a degree in just accepting or rejecting anything that fits personal bias and/or prejudice. As I enter in the second week of the program, I feel great contentment, while I develop a deeper understanding for why others accept or reject the Bible.

Any thoughts or can anyone help in answering the questions in the OP?

Here's the page of origination: Is the Bible Infallible, Inerrant, and Verbally Inspired?

Edited by SF Staff

Last edited by arive nan : 17-02-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 22-05-2012, 11:38 PM
Mind's Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeHee
The Original Op questions presented are shared as is in a program that I am taking. On a personal note, these are apart of research in order to answer "why" I believe. The questions and research have really be an eye opener in a discipleship program, I'm realizing that most of my and other arguments/debates in life and on various forums are engaged with people who have no knowledge as to why they believe or continually object to all that pertains to Christianity. They and I have been at fault to a degree in just accepting or rejecting anything that fits personal bias and/or prejudice. As I enter in the second week of the program, I feel great contentment while there's a deepening understanding why others accept or reject the Bible.

But in that class you only get the side of the story that the teacher serves you. If the teacher is a firm Bible believer, then naturally you will get all the answers you need or want to solidify what you believe. I read tons of books and took courses back in the day when I believed as you do; and I walked away from it feeling like I had such a great confirmation and knowledge of why and what I believed. I would just smile and nod at the nonbeliever while I thought to myself, "bless his soul, he just really doesn't know or have all the facts straight."

Then one day, while reading a book that I thought was a Christian book, it was in the Christan section of the bookstore and had a very Christian title and description on the back; I found that this book began to ask some very tough questions about my faith, and even presented some things that were in direct contrast to what I believed and was taught. I finished the book out of curiosity and was even a little ticked off at the author for writing such a misinformed volume. However, the questions and presentations in the book haunted my mind for several years afterwards; and so I decide to silence the inner haunting by doing some research and proving the author of the book incorrect.

A long story short- The author of the book was right. And what I had been told by various authors, teachers and classes were biased untruths about history, science and even the history of the Bible. I was stunned to say the least. Imagine waking up one day and discovering all those neat little theological phrases and facts that you have been taught and are learning were not so. Imagine finding out that the people you had learned from were no better than the reckless atheists who bend facts and shades the truth just to make his point seem valid. It can be a real sock knocker...

I say all that not to argue about religion, but rather to just give the other side of the coin. I was were you are... I could have written some of your posts myself; perhaps even in more staunch and glorious detail back in the day... But I was duped and that is sad. If I could sit in on your class and ask questions of the instructor, he/she would seem to have some very good answers for my "liberalism" type questions... But by the time our discussion would reach its end, he/she would be very short with me and perhaps even tell me to leave... Why, because there are no honest answers to some of the deeper questions that would be presented. So when backed into a theological corner, insult, damn and walk away from the one inquiring. I have seen it done many times before...

I always say, think for yourself... and don't let anyone color your thoughts with their paint brush. Because their brush may be tarnished.

Just presenting here... no offense or argument intended.