Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Music

Old 29-05-2023, 10:33 AM
Master
The ultimate heavy metal thread

There was an excellent heavy metal thread in this forum, but it was deleted accidentally due to a technical glitch. I wouldn't have wanted to revitalise or renew that thread if not for the new album from Sleep Token, 'Take Me Back to Eden'. The reason they belong on a spiritual forum is not only because of their sheer genius, but also because of their strange spiritual belief.

I first stumbled upon Sleep Token a year or more ago, and have kept up with their single releases ever since. They didn't immediately blow me away, but something about them was gripping and I couldn't turn away.

The new album is a change in the metal genre that seamlessly fuses elements of pop, R&B, prog and the operatic euro-metal sound into the stupid-mental thrashing and screaming that makes you lose your mind. This will inspire other hard metal bands to incorporate more dynamics, and inspire pop bands to cut loose and go full berko, thus driving music forward by breaking down walls between genres.

Sleep token is a band that at first you wonder if you like them. It doesn't hit you straight away but there's something subtle going on that you can't quite pin down, which is intriguing, and you one day realise you're in love and can't stop thinking about them.

------------

After listening to "Take Me Back to Eden", I started looking into the band's background, and what I found out was bizarrely interesting: they cult-worship an ancient spiritual deity named Sleep. According to NME, the band's singer, Vessel 1 (band members remain anonymous and go by Vessel I, II, III and IV), was visited by the deity, Sleep, in a dream. Sleep promised him "glory and magnificence" if he followed him. The whole band are devout followers and serve as Sleep's vessels.

The songs are referred to by the band on Twitter as 'offerings'; they promote their live shows as congregations of 'worship', and the antics at their concerts are called 'rituals'. For example, one Tweet reads, "Come September, Chicago shall gather in Worship at @RiotFest". Another Tweet: '‘Take Me Back To Eden’ is now yours to consume. https://sleep-token.com. Worship". They regularly say their releases are 'yours to consume' and refer to promotional material such as billboards and posters as "Expressions of worship".

The cult-worship dimension of Sleep Token has given me a clue as to their sublime intrigue which had hitherto eluded me. It's fervour. The passion is deep and these aren't just songs. They are offerings to a God.

----------

This is the album's title song, but I strongly encourage metal heads to lie back, close their eyes, and really listen to the whole album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFHBOKa_ZG0
Old 06-07-2023, 08:46 AM
Master
I have been following Falling in Reverse for quite some time now. I have been blown away by their music videos since 'Zombified' was released. Their following music video for "Watch the World Burn" was also astounding, and their whole prior discography is worth listening to.

Even though I followed and liked them, I thought Fallin in Reverse were a bit too into shock rock instead of just being brilliant. Band leader Ronnie Radke was still a bit boyish with attitude and hadn't matured as a musician, but I could see his genius. I knew that one day he'd settle into himself and start to shine like the sun, so although I always thought FIR were a great band, I didn't love the band - until now.

Falling in Reverse just released a cover of Papa Roach's 2000 song" Last resort". Ronnie's voice is telling the story with full emotion in every single word. It's poetic. Ronnie's cover totally does the song justice, and it's absolutely beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESOjt2_yJrU
Old 15-07-2023, 01:00 PM
Master
I found a new band which is not for the faint of heart, but for a metal head, it's pure love.

The singer of Face Yourself, Yasmine, is a master metal vocalist. She's being dubbed on social media as 'the female Will Ramos', which is cheesy as heck, but it still reflects her greatness, so I'm down with it.

She fronts the band, and they have real chemistry.

I'm linking their video for "Spineless" because it is profanity free. The song self reflects on cowardice, what it is to regret not having the courage to do right, and how that can eat away at you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lnt...kotHhU&index=7
Old 17-07-2023, 04:30 AM
Master
I recently stumbled upon a band called Heilung, which means 'healing' in German.

They hearken back to the Norse iron age and connect with the spirits and ancestors of their bloodlines and land. Their musical instruments double as ritualistic accessories, and their concerts are performed as theater for the Gods.

It's not heavy metal as we know it today, but if such a thing existed in the iron age, I imagine it would sound like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRg_8NNPTD8

To understand this band better, The Charismatic Voice did a fantastic interview with their female lead, Maria Franz. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LPlrR0E7QM

Worth a look.

PS I'll just add this interesting playlist about the life-history of the band and its members https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO2z...yUOsTg&index=1. It's a very interesting story of fate breath, magic and spiritual development.

Last edited by Gem : 17-07-2023 at 05:17 AM.
Old 07-08-2023, 06:06 AM
Master
Lorna Shore's latest song, "Of the Abyss" blew me away.

No doubt singer Will Ramos is a master of metal vocals. I have followed the Band since he became the vocalist a couple of years ago. In the past Lorna Shore have been a great metal band, but to my ear, lacked certain nuance like dynamics and mood. That's why this new release piqued my ear so much! It is textured, the movements of the piece tell an emotional story, and I don't even know what the lyrics are yet! (I can't hear the words with metal screaming vocals).

I think the main reason this reaches the soul is they used orchestral themes in the track. They had to adapt their style of composition and deliver something other than a solid tube of max volume, which is what they have always done before.

The drumming in particular is just sublime. Metal bands of today like peculiar time signatures and polyrhythms, but apart from masters of that style (like Meshuggah), it usually sounds contrived rather than serving a meaningful purpose in the song. Lorna's drummer, Austin Archy, uses polyrhythms so tactically and places them perfectly in the arrangement - they are used for good reason and serve a real purpose. It's artistry of angelic proportions!

The last change in the band I noticed is a much clearer separation of the instruments. Rather than the 'wall of sound' approach of their past, they have crisper guitar riffs, including a shredding solo that incorporates arpeggios to answer the orchestral arrangement. In future I'd like to hear a more distinct bass line with popping licks as well, but it seems to me, in this new song, the musicians have elevated to each of their unique places and communicate with each other instead of playing as a homogeneous unit like they have in the past.

It's fantastic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwDfiEgo4PE
Old 15-08-2023, 01:08 PM
Master
There are numerous different genres of Metal.

Heavy Metal
Death Metal
Black Metal
Gothic Metal
Prog Metal
Thrash Metal

any others?

I like most of them. Love the bass and the energy. Bring it on.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 16-08-2023, 03:59 AM
Master
Cultural Anthropologist, Sam Dunn, has dedicated his career to documenting the history, evolution and progression of metal and the sub-cultural phenomena that revolve around it.

His first documentary "A Headbanger's Journey" is beautifully done with dark and light, good and evil, God and the devil, as he narrates his personal lifespan within metal culture from Sabbath and the classics to heavier flavours, through to the Mid 2000s. "A Headbangers Journey" is a 'must see' for every metalhead.

He since did a whole series called "Metal Evolution". Each episode covers a metal sub-genre as he takes us from the origins of heavy metal to the complex crossover of sub-genres that exist today. I'm currently watching it on You tube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMwc...0nh q1yeZLErs

Last edited by Gem : 16-08-2023 at 04:45 AM.
Old 24-08-2023, 10:43 AM
Master
Kim Dracula (KD) is at it again. They just released a new song called 'Superhero'.

I can't say I love KD, but I like the horror themes, and the shock rock is quite disturbing.

In this video KD plays a superhero, or a supervillian, which reflects on another thread currently active on the forum. I won't be a spoiler on the video, but trigger warning: it features a child within horror themes, and it is disturbing.

I think the song + video has some deeper meanings about medicalising children in society.

The music in 'Superhero' is good (though over produced for my taste) and draws on funk as a major influence; fused with heavy metal breakdowns and vocal screams and growls. KD is obviously a highly trained musician with roots in jazz. A genius to be sure, but I can't say the evil here is mere theater.

I'm not in love this band, but I am fascinated. They don't disappoint and I believe there will come a time when KD turns a corner and takes this to the next level. I want to be there for that if and when it happens.

Enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSkTmLe5kRQ
Old 25-08-2023, 01:13 AM
Master
Kim Dracula's debut album "A Gradual Decline In Morale" is a unique piece of work. Instead of being a bunch of songs it's a nonstop movement all the way through. It reminds me of theme albums of the past like The Wall, Bat Out of Hell or War of the Worlds. I think some of the album is a bit cheezy and contrived, but the overall effect is the songs of Kim Dracula are better within the full album context than they are as singles. It takes something special to pull that off.

I can see the genius right there. This is a very good album, and I hope with all my hope that Kim's next body of work is a true magnum opus.

I'm glad I found this band early and look forward to their journey.
Old 29-08-2023, 10:46 PM
Master
Demon Republic playlist

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...tQgwo-Epz8x2Nw

They're on spotify if that's where you listen.