Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Exercise

Old 02-04-2018, 01:17 AM
Newbie ;)

I lift!
Quite frequently. 5 days a week minimum. Used to do a lot of hypertrophy lifting then moved into strength/power for a few months brought my deadlift from 155-255lbs in just over a month. Bench is hard for me due to tight shoulders. Squats are #1 in my mind for functional exercise. *** to grass baby.
Just became a personal trainer/group fitness instructor so I've been doing tons of cardio and muscle endurance training which is a lovely break from the heavy stuff and it shows you how much you can still improve fitness even if you have a nice physique/muscle size.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:32 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchroniicity
I lift!
Quite frequently. 5 days a week minimum. Used to do a lot of hypertrophy lifting then moved into strength/power for a few months brought my deadlift from 155-255lbs in just over a month. Bench is hard for me due to tight shoulders. Squats are #1 in my mind for functional exercise. *** to grass baby.
Just became a personal trainer/group fitness instructor so I've been doing tons of cardio and muscle endurance training which is a lovely break from the heavy stuff and it shows you how much you can still improve fitness even if you have a nice physique/muscle size.

Hi, Synchroiicity. It's nice to have a fitness professional on board. I study fitness certificate IV (which is a personal trainer qualification) and will graduate in June. I don't actually like much of the fitness industry because I see a lot of people in group ex exercising with improper form, and I'm much more into correct bio-mechanics and good exercise technique. I am very particular about how squats, deadlifts, and other compound movements are executed, because as you say, they are 'functional motions' and correct movement is necessary for efficient function. My body was very disfunctional before I began training not two years ago, and through the 'big lifts' I have corrected a lot, but still work on my technique and motor function.

Do you follow fitness you tube channels?
Old 07-04-2018, 04:40 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
If there is anyone here that trains for strength, gimme a 'hoy'

There could be no one, and if that's the case, it just shows how rare it is. I mean yoga has its own forum section, so you can bet there's a few bendies around.

But does anyone here lift heavy things? 'Cus that is precisely what I do.
I do both yoga and strength training.
It's good to keep the body healthy, training helps and creates discipline
Old 09-04-2018, 01:59 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
I do both yoga and strength training.
It's good to keep the body healthy, training helps and creates discipline

I thought of doing some yoga to help in recovery from strength training, so I might get into that in the future.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:45 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
If there is anyone here that trains for strength, gimme a 'hoy'

There could be no one, and if that's the case, it just shows how rare it is. I mean yoga has its own forum section, so you can bet there's a few bendies around.

But does anyone here lift heavy things? 'Cus that is precisely what I do.

I just lifts weight every other day, rotating with cardio, to maintain muscle tone and keep bones strong too. I use to lift a lot more weight and people would comment on my arms being "big guns" but I'm not about getting there anymore. It does indeed take a lot of effort, training, lifting and dedication to beef up like that. When it comes to cardio or weight training, it's much easier for me to get motivated to jump on the elliptical machine than to lift weights. I spend about the same amount of time doing each, but the weight lifting just seems to take more effort as well as concentration/thinking.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:20 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven
I just lifts weight every other day, rotating with cardio, to maintain muscle tone and keep bones strong too. I use to lift a lot more weight and people would comment on my arms being "big guns" but I'm not about getting there anymore. It does indeed take a lot of effort, training, lifting and dedication to beef up like that. When it comes to cardio or weight training, it's much easier for me to get motivated to jump on the elliptical machine than to lift weights. I spend about the same amount of time doing each, but the weight lifting just seems to take more effort as well as concentration/thinking.

True. I almost dread training because strength training involves long training sessions, but it does make the bones really strong. It doesn't end with the gym, though, because I have to eat enough of the right food, too, and that involves counting calories and macros so I can get stronger but without blowing out and gaining too much fat. The intensity of the weights puts a lot of stress on the body, so it takes a lot out of you, and eating sleeping and resting also need to be right, or ya start to burn out.
Old 22-04-2018, 09:24 PM
Master
I noticed over the last week or so I was getting a little bit of slight pain intermittently in one shoulder and I was worried about making it worse by straining the shoulder too much so today I de-loaded my bench and overhead press and I'm going to start adding some shoulder strengthening exercises to my workout regime. one of the trainers at my gym harps on me about my ****ty posture and has said I should work on strengthening my shoulders because I could injure them if they posture doesn't improve... I guess maybe he was right.... haha
Old 24-04-2018, 03:19 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow.sprinkles
I noticed over the last week or so I was getting a little bit of slight pain intermittently in one shoulder and I was worried about making it worse by straining the shoulder too much so today I de-loaded my bench and overhead press and I'm going to start adding some shoulder strengthening exercises to my workout regime. one of the trainers at my gym harps on me about my ****ty posture and has said I should work on strengthening my shoulders because I could injure them if they posture doesn't improve... I guess maybe he was right.... haha

Yep, the trainer is right, posture is important - and I hurt my shoulder by lifting too heavy before I got the posture right. The Starting programs like Stronglifts and Starting Strength have some issues, and my opinion now days is lifting technique has to come first, and the bar should only be loaded as the technique and the correct positions are mastered. The early linear loading principle is good and true, but without technique, the right postures and positions, the risk of harm escalates with the heavier weight.

Then, starting programs are only supposed to be run for 3-6 months, or until you progress more slowly like weekly or monthly. Then some 'tweaks' to the programming are needed. I found a free program which is designed for people who have reached this stage. Youi have to sign up to receive the free program, but Barbellmedicine.com is a good reputable lifting organisation, and this little training manual explains a lot of things: http://www.barbellmedicine.com/the-bridge/
Old 28-04-2018, 11:41 PM
Master
I started out lifting reeeeeeeal light and slow to make sure my form and technique were on point, but I think as my lifts are getting heavier it's causing my form to get a bit shaky. I've been doing stronglifts for about a year and a half and I think it's time to change it up. I'm just putting it off because I honestly hate change, haha. I like my routine, I'm so used to it.
Old 30-04-2018, 01:21 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I'm working out a new routine which is different to what I've done before.

I stepped back form heavy squats because some problems with form were emerging. I tend to shift weight to the left side and as a result, one of my left quads have become bigger and stronger than the right. To correct this I now work on light squats in front of a mirror and make sure I stay in the centre, which is hard work because the left lean has become my 'natural habit'. After that I do Bulgarian split squats 7 reps on the left and 10 reps on the right, or unilateral leg press in the same rep range, to make the right stronger and balanced with the left.

I have dropped the weight on the other lifts as well, and now work in the 8 to 10 rep range so I can build muscle size. After 3 months of higher rep work, I'll load on the weight and work in 3-5 rep range to fully strengthen the new muscle mass. After a couple of months at heavy/low reps, I'll go into a peaking period for a couple of weeks to recover from the accumulated fatigue, and then I'll test my 1 rep max on the four lifts (squat, dead, bench, strict overhead press).

I spent the last 3 weeks working out the new routine, which has just started to come together. I now have a 6-day-week training regimen and a 6 month long training program, and I expect this plan to result in significantly more kilos on the bar.

Starts on April fools day - how apt.

smart move

Wherever I May Roam
https://youtu.be/Qq9PxuAsiR4