Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 17-11-2021, 08:27 PM
Seeker

Hindu Yogis

a list of some well known Hindu Yogis.

Their writings are online, many free...

Sri Ramakrishna
Swami Vivekananda
Sri Aurobindo
Paramahansa Yogananda
Sri Ananda Moi Ma
Sri Chinmoy

(In 2007, Sri Chinmoy was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize by Archbishop Desmond Tutu and former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev. Sri Chinmoy conducted meditations at the United Nations for about 30 years and at the US Congress for about 20 years.)
Old 13-12-2021, 01:01 AM
Guide

Hindu Yogis.

I have been to the ashram of SRI Aurobindo in Pondi Cherry India and got some of his book, I also went to the ashram of Sri Ramana Maharshi and walked up the sacred hill Arunachala Ramana taught the purest form of the Advaita Vedanta (non duality) His teaching were very simple starting with asking
yourself "WHO am "I" when we know the answer to that inner question we will then know the SELF,

regards michael.
Old 13-12-2021, 09:48 AM
Master
7 great Hindu Yogi`s there and I have read extensively from them all and benefited from their stories and writings. I particularly love Lex Hixon`s book, The Golden Swan, about Ramamkrishna.
I would strongly advise people to also check out anything from Sathya Sai baba and Mother Meera (Answers 1 and 2 in particular) as these are the two strongest influences on my life - along with Krishna
Old 13-12-2021, 02:24 PM
Adding Kirpal Singh. (Sant Mat teacher)
Then, I would like to add someone who is alive now...in the lineage of Sri Yukteswar -
a Kriya Yoga Master Paramahansa Prajnanananda Giri.

Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbNAY2rPaPI

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 13-12-2021, 04:04 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivaGoal4444
a list of some well known Hindu Yogis.

Sri Chinmoy conducted meditations at the United Nations for about 30 years and at the US Congress for about 20 years.

That's an awesome list of well-known Hindu yogis, and I have benefited greatly from their teachings.

My spiritual mentor was a soul-sister of Ananda Moi Ma, and our ashram in Haridwar is a short walk from Ananda Moi Ma's mausoleum. My teacher spoke often about Ananda Moi Ma and I treasure a picture of the two of them together.

The only one on your list whom I met personally was Sri Chinmoy and I have never forgotten my first encounter with him in NYC. I was somewhat disappointed initially as he did not speak at all. He simply sat in complete and utter silence while attendees approached in groups and sat in silence before him. This was many many years ago and I had not yet been exposed to a Silent Yogi. However, for some reason, I felt compelled to go back and discovered that, in complete and utter silence, "answers" to pressing questions are revealed. I later discovered that, in utter and complete silence even ALONE at home, "answers" to pressing questions are revealed.

Having said that, people are often unaware of the "hidden master" Hindu Yogis who are definitely out there but are not well known and intentionally do not have a following like the others mentioned in this thread. People gravitate towards the well-known teachers and don't even recognize these "hidden masters" who outwardly appear to be quite ordinary.

When I accompanied my teacher to the Haridwar Khumba Mela in 1998, I recall being at a Bandara (feast) for the Acharya and the Mahamandeleswaras (the spiritual hierarchy) of the orders of Shankara. At the feast, I met one such "hidden master". He was sitting peacefully and quietly on the floor with the rest of us but there was an unusual magnetic aura about him. I pointed him out to the two people with me and they agreed. I bowed to him from afar and he acknowledged the bow with a slight movement of his head. My teacher's successor, who was with me, attempted to take a photo but he signaled that he did not want to be photographed. However, the other person with me did take a photograph only to discover later that, when the film was developed, there was only an image of light where this master had been sitting. When the Acharya and Mahamandeleshwara's entered the hall, they all bowed before him and touched his feet. This convinced us that this ordinary-appearing-person was quite extraordinary in actuality.

The very next morning, when I was walking to the Ganges via a huge open field with no one in sight, I was having a discussion with the "photo-taker". Suddenly, literally out of thin air, this being appeared and answered my specific question with a powerful life-transforming six word statement. When I turned briefly to my friend and then looked back, the being was gone. I confirmed with my friend that he had seen and heard what I had seen and heard; it was not a hallucination. We went back to our ashram to relate our story but, when our teacher saw us coming, she called us immediately to the dais where she was sitting with other sages. As we related our story and described the man whom we had seen at the Bandara the previous day, they all sat in silence. Finally, my teacher said: "That's Sri <don't recall his name, but I think it was the reverential generic Babaji>. He does this from time to time. Everyone knows this. You have been blessed. Meditate on this." I have never forgotten him or his words.

I have met other similar "hidden masters", as I call them, with one such connection lasting for 9 years consisting of similar mysterious appearances. People tend to focus on the well-known teachers but often fail to see the "extraordinarily ordinary" ( ) masters who appear in front of their very eyes. Even the briefest interactions with them can be life-transforming.

Om Namah Shivaya!
Old 13-12-2021, 04:37 PM
Master
Post #4, Thanks Miss H! Enjoying the video, 25 min into it as of now, superb!
Old 14-12-2021, 04:47 AM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
this being appeared and answered my specific question with a powerful life-transforming six word statement.
Can you please share the question and the answer? Did you ask him that question or he read your mind? I found your experience with this being to be wow.
Old 14-12-2021, 03:20 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyzen

I particularly love Lex Hixon`s book, The Golden Swan, about Ramamkrishna.
I would strongly advise people to also check out anything from Sathya Sai baba

Lex Hixon (a.k.a. Sufi Shaik Nur) is also one of my favorites and he often visited my spiritual mentor at our ashram. I used to love listening to his talks about Ramakrishna, Sufi Mystics, spiritual practices, and more. Although Shaik Nur (as we called him) was a great writer, the in-person experiences with him were truly awesome and unforgettable.

It's interesting that you should also mention Sathya Sai Baba as two of my friends both had the opportunity to meet with him one-on-one in India. The encounter with one of those two friends was particularly compelling. My Jewish friend Charlie, who was a young fellow in his 20s with a serious disease at the time, went on a spiritual pilgrimage with his friends to Jerusalem and other holy places in Israel. For some reason, the group decided afterwards to go to India. "By chance" ( ), the group ended up at the ashram of Sathya Sai Baba, and were invited to stay at the ashram for as long as they wished. Sai Baba then said that he was aware that one of the people in the group had a very serious illness and therefore he would meet with them one-at-a-time. After Sai Baba had met with everyone in the group ... except for Charlie ... he thanked the group for coming and told them to stay as long as they wished. At that point, Charlie spoke out to say that Sai Baba had forgotten to see him. Sai Baba apologized profusely for having "forgotten" Charlie ( ) and then invited him into the visiting room. Sai Baba then said that he hadn't forgotten Charlie and added that, since Charlie was the one with the serious disease, he didn't want to draw attention to him. Sai Baba then materialized a vial out of thin air and applied the contents to various parts of Charlies's body. Needless to say, subsequent medical tests in New York City showed absolutely no traces of the disease, which was considered incurable at that time.

While writing this, I recalled another healing event involving Sai Baba. When I was in the Abidjan (Cote D'Ivoire) airport, I met a father with his young son (about 7 or 8 years old). The son was wearing a t-shirt with a picture of Sai Baba on. In the ensuing conversation, the father revealed that his whole family was devoted to Sai Baba and had a special room in their home dedicated to Sai Baba with an altar, pictures, etc. He said that his son had had had a life-threatening disease and, fearing that his son would not survive, he had been praying to Sai Baba continuously in the chapel as the situation was worsening and death was becoming "imminent". One night, while sleeping, he heard a strange noise in the chapel and went down to investigate. He discovered that the floor of the chapel was now covered with vibhuti ashes which had not been there before. There were also footprints in the ashes. He interpreted that as a sign from Sai Baba, who often materializes vibhuti ashes in addition to other things. Intuitively, he scooped up the ashes and applied them all over his son's body. Subsequent medical examinations showed no traces whatsoever of the disease.

When one's foremost priority in life is spiritually-oriented, such things happen more and more continuously. They are inspirational catalysts and trigger meditative reflections on how such things are possible. In the stillness, all (that is important to know) is revealed in various and sundry ways... including vicarious experiences such as these as well as direct experiences.
Old 14-12-2021, 05:20 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by kralaro
Can you please share the question and the answer? Did you ask him that question or he read your mind? I found your experience with this being to be wow.

In this particular case, there was no specific question but the statement "answered" a question that I had NOT been specifically discussing with my friend. The "questions" was related to a meditative practice concern/doubt on which I had been meditating for some time. Somehow, this sage intuited my unspoken question and addressed it very very emphatically, clearly, and specifically such that it left no doubts regarding how I should proceed with my practice. Out of context, however, it would not be particularly helpful to repeat his statement and it would require too much background information to make a meaningful point here.

However, I will address you question about whether such beings can "read your mind". The answer is an unequivocal YES, and I will support that with another story about another Hindu "hidden master" whom I also met at the Khumba Mela.

There was a time when I left the Krishna tent festivities and went to the park across the street to be alone for a while. Standing behind a tree, I observed a man with a black turban (outwardly ordinary) who had lit a small fire in front of him and was doing some kind of a practice. As I stared from afar, he looked at me and silently motioned for me to come forward. He then silently directed me to sit down in front of him, which I did. He took out his japa beads and silently chanted. I took out my japa beads and silently chanted. (That is my gateway to the stillness.) From that point on, whenever I had a question (mentally, not verbally), the answer came immediately in dream-like fashion (visual/auditory). When there were no more questions, I looked up at him. He nodded. I bowed. No words were spoken. When I returned to the Krishna tent, my friends asked where I had been for OVER THREE HOURS. I had not realized how long I had been gone. I told them what had transpired and they all wanted to meet this fellow across the street but, when we went to the park across the street, the man in the black turban was not there though the fire was still simmering. My friends then joked about being skeptical of my story so I asked another fellow there about where the man in the black turban had gone. He turned and said that the man had just been there and he did not know where he had gone. He then added that the two of us had been in a trance-like state for hours oblivious to the outside world in some sore of indescribable communication. People had been staring and waving their hands in front of us but neither of us came out of that state until all my questions were answered. This confirmed what I had said to my pondering friends.

While such experiences are not uncommon, I used this particular story since there were witnesses who could describe what was happening from their perspective. Communication without words is most certainly a fact.
Old 15-12-2021, 04:41 AM
Ascender
I didn't have a positive impression of Sathya Sai Baba, e.g. he died before the time that he had predicted he would die on. Shirdi Sai Baba i respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
When one's foremost priority in life is spiritually-oriented, such things happen more and more continuously. They are inspirational catalysts
About that, i was locked in a psychiatric centre and force fed harmful drugs for having spirituality as my foremost priority in life.