Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 01-11-2020, 05:31 PM
janielee

Angel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITESH SHAH
Certainly I agree with JL's post without a doubt and that is clear to me from the beginning. However with talk of now extinct religions , came a doubt is there any danger for Buddhism and hence the curious question .

I know there have been conversions across countries and numbers have dwindled for many religions including hinduism . However for that blame is to be first taken by the practitioners of the religion itself than anybody else.

Buddhism has no fear of it diminishing, per se. There are many wonderful practitioners of Buddhism, and Buddhism is neither diminished by insults (refer Big John's many posts) or inferences.

It can be noted that Buddhism refers to Dharma - Dhamma is the Law of the Way, and nothing can diminish Truth, no matter how much they may try.

Well wishes,

JL
Old 01-11-2020, 05:31 PM
Master
Monks, I do not say that the attainment of gnosis is all at once. Rather, the attainment of gnosis is after gradual training, gradual action, gradual practice. And how is there the attainment of gnosis after gradual training, gradual action, gradual practice? There is the case where, when conviction has arisen, one visits [a teacher]. Having visited, one grows close. Having grown close, one lends ear. Having lent ear, one hears the Dhamma. Having heard the Dhamma, one remembers it. Remembering, one penetrates the meaning of the teachings. Penetrating the meaning, one comes to an agreement through pondering the teachings. There being an agreement through pondering the teachings DESIRE arises. When DESIRE has arisen, one is willing. When one is willing, one contemplates. Having contemplated, one makes an exertion. Having made an exertion, one realizes with the body the ultimate truth and, having penetrated it with discernment, sees it.

— MN 70

With thanks to JL and the opening of this Thread...
Old 01-11-2020, 05:33 PM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaelyn
There is no such thing as no practice is there? Even doing nothing is "doing" or practicing something. "Doing nothing" is emphasized in a lot of places in Taoism, Zen Buddhism.... in mystics like Rumi.

"Being selfless" without goals or desires, without "ego" takes a great deal of disciplined practice. Try being present in this moment, unattached to any ideas..... very difficult..... takes intense high awareness and concentration.

The practice of doing nothing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ6cdIaUZCA

I'd add having no ego is also a practice.

This is another example of mistaking words and understanding for practice. An example of someone who claims the way but with a shake of the wind, quivers. It's possible, and a very easy way to walk on given the nuances of available teachings, especially in today's internet day and age; which is why for any serious student or practitioner, company with real teachers and Sangha can be much more beneficial than showing one's stripes over a forum in self-congratulation. YMMV

JL
Old 01-11-2020, 05:35 PM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
I see nothing wrong with the Buddha having multiple wives. That was a main custom at one time. As for me, I can not remember how many times I have been asked by Buddhists in predominate Buddhist countries if I have 4 wives. The odd part of these requests was they were all done by women except for one old man.

I suspect back in King Asoka's time, 'history' may have been changed to make Buddhism more acceptable but also to 'cover up' issues dealing with King Asoka himself.

Please try to comprehend the words you respond to.

His genetic mother yes, Maha Pajapati Gotami, the aunt and foster mother of the Buddha, who raised Buddha as his mother, was ordained by Buddha into his order. She became the first ordained Buddhist nun. She was responsible for the creation of nuns within Buddhism according to many stories.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:36 PM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImthatIm
I like "Give monkey mind a job".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PkrhH-bkpk

Again though, I don't practice Buddhism. I have no Buddhist teacher.
If I did find a Buddhist teacher, then I may find it beneficial to practice
under a teacher to attain gnosis in Buddhism.

I do practice "The Way of the Chanunpa (Pipe)" and it allows that I may study and practice any other Way.
Which will lead to unity with all people and or
connection to all things. So I do strive to understand Buddhism but find many terms hard
to understand.

Buddhism is extraordinarily simple; if you have any questions, please ask. The Way of the Chanuna - sounds beautiful..

Unity with all people and or connection to all things is also the Buddha Way.

Namaste,
JL
Old 01-11-2020, 08:33 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
I do practice "The Way of the Chanunpa (Pipe)" and it allows that I may study and practice any other Way.
Which will lead to unity with all people and or
connection to all things. So I do strive to understand Buddhism but find many terms hard
to understand.

the way of the wakan-tanka, the creator, the way of tunkashila, the living breath of the great spirit mystery, and the way of the helpers,, the way of love and freedom, here on the back of our earth mother...

once a native boy missed church to watch the sunrise, afterwards he prayed to god for forgiveness, god's spirit entered his heart and said, "it is I who made that sunrise, I don't know who built this church"

buddha wondered with the dogmatic ascetics, eating but one grain of rice a day, he put everything he was into this life, one day looking into a reflection of himself in a river, he saw what he had become, and he saw he was no closer to what he sought deep within, he abandoned that life, abandoned seeking and aversion, became empty, without desire, without seeking, without conceptual thought, instead one with everything and everyone, connected to the earth, and nature, and the true nature of himself and all else, surrendered to the great mystery present always
Old 01-11-2020, 08:47 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by janielee
Buddhism has no fear of it diminishing, per se. There are many wonderful practitioners of Buddhism, and Buddhism is neither diminished by insults (refer Big John's many posts) or inferences.

It can be noted that Buddhism refers to Dharma - Dhamma is the Law of the Way, and nothing can diminish Truth, no matter how much they may try.

Well wishes,

JL

janielee,
I thought personal attacks is not suppose to go on this Forum. I also PMed you a while ago to stop your harassing me. I have never insulted Buddhism as you have claimed. Making such accusations is hurtful and is contrary to the teachings of Buddha. Also, on this Forum, people are allowed to state their opinions.

I found your expression "and Buddhism is neither diminished by insults (refer Big John's many posts) or inferences" to be inflammatory and uncalled for. Just because you like keeping a rift between us, that is your problem and something you should think about correcting.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Last edited by BigJohn : 02-11-2020 at 04:03 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:44 AM
ImthatIm

Quote:
the way of the wakan-tanka, the creator, the way of tunkashila, the living breath of the great spirit mystery, and the way of the helpers,, the way of love and freedom, here on the back of our earth mother...

once a native boy missed church to watch the sunrise, afterwards he prayed to god for forgiveness, god's spirit entered his heart and said, "it is I who made that sunrise, I don't know who built this church"

buddha wondered with the dogmatic ascetics, eating but one grain of rice a day, he put everything he was into this life, one day looking into a reflection of himself in a river, he saw what he had become, and he saw he was no closer to what he sought deep within, he abandoned that life, abandoned seeking and aversion, became empty, without desire, without seeking, without conceptual thought, instead one with everything and everyone, connected to the earth, and nature, and the true nature of himself and all else, surrendered to the great mystery present always

Very nice, I see big similarities.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:16 AM
Master
Quote:
Duggandha Sutta

"I don’t praise even a tiny amount of becoming—even as much as a finger-snap.” Buddha

What goal or ego does not involve an idea of becoming?

How can we become or desire something we already are, but are simply un-aware of?

Goals and desires can be becoming mind.

Being mind, understanding mind, aware mind is different.

Udakarahaka Sutta

Awareness trapped in the conventional, conceptual mind (the-mirror-of-self-reflection) can only do becoming.

“Becoming” I have understood to mean living or trying to live up to a concept.

Old 02-11-2020, 10:44 AM
Master
Quote:
Very nice, I see big similarities.
You do?

I didn’t even know I was “indigenous” until I met traditional Indigenous peoples.

Why?

Because without words or concepts, I already knew it, all-the-way-through.

When you meet traditional indigenous people, they are ‘normal’, so you can be just relax an be ‘normal’.

When you meet ‘urban aboriginals’ ( who have lost the connection to their culture) – you have to live up to the concept of “indigeousness”.

Understand the difference?