Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 07-11-2020, 05:03 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by running
there is also a surrender in allowing one to be who they are. however people may percieve that in whatever kind of ego that may be.

this is what my intuition told me and has proven to he true in my experience.

1. i am what i am

2. what im doing i just what im doing. who i am is just who i am

somehow we think that who we are as a person is how we open doors to whats beyond us. that is true. but its us locking us from it. not it locking us out. this is what my intuition calls programming.

I agree Running. When reading your points 1 and 2, I feel there is a sense that `I am what I am`, is a form of acceptance, and so is, `who I am is just who I am`. It never occured to me before that surrender and acceptance are such close bed mates.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:29 PM
Guide
Lightbulb

Surrender to me, spiritually, is to give up control and be open to the influence of a higher power.

We can be well meaning but our intent to finding a solution can be an obstacle! I listen more now to my intuition for wiser, deeper solutions i.e. with an empty, receptive mind I open up and wait....

Often people surrender when it's a last resort...reminds me of Leonard Cohen's beautiful song 'Suzanne'...'and when he knew for certain only drowning men could see him....'

Old 07-11-2020, 07:01 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyzen
I wanted to hear peoples thoughts on surrender in spiritual development.

I believe it is possibly the most unspoken about, yet most important practice hidden within every other practice.

If you meditate, you surrender to a single point of focus, if you mantra you surrender all other thoughts and reduce them to a single chant.

If you pray you surrender for a few moments to a greater reality.

If you act humbly you try to surrender to those around you.

At the heart of all spiritual practices is an element of surrender.

One of the difficulties for many aspirants these days is that society doesn`t like to surrender, we live in a world where the ego is big so many struggle to surrender.
What do you think?

Sounds more like an exchange. Like giving up one thing in exchange for something else. Like those who give up their worldly possessions for their imagined ideal of spiritual growth. I don't see that as really surrendering. I see it more as a beginning of a journey to surrendering.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:09 PM
Master

surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyzen
I wanted to hear peoples thoughts on surrender in spiritual development.

I believe it is possibly the most unspoken about, yet most important practice hidden within every other practice.

If you meditate, you surrender to a single point of focus, if you mantra you surrender all other thoughts and reduce them to a single chant.

If you pray you surrender for a few moments to a greater reality.

If you act humbly you try to surrender to those around you.

At the heart of all spiritual practices is an element of surrender.

One of the difficulties for many aspirants these days is that society doesn`t like to surrender, we live in a world where the ego is big so many struggle to surrender.
What do you think?

There are many good contributions and points valid from different views .

With word 'Surrender' comes a feeling of loss of independence and sovereignty and hence instantaneous resistance to it. But people definitely surrender (they don't have choice ) but to the people whom they consider powerful and capable of supporting them in some way. When they feel (not just know intellectually ) that there is nobody powerful than God , their surrender to God is natural and easy .

It's true very few have these realization of omni-potence of God and we have the situation u rightly describe.

Last edited by HITESH SHAH : 08-11-2020 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:07 PM
I see I wrote something last year.
This morning I would comment that surrender means giving up, letting go of
what I think something ought to be; meaning: turning over
my limited, egoic perspective to something that is Higher (by whatever name).
Trusting there is a reason for everything.

Activists comment often they think surrender means complacency,
laziness or doing nothing, thus, having no compassion
for the starving of the world.

No - the meaning could be
to stir action in me to stand up for something.
Thus, seeing the 'purpose for unwanted events', I call the Bigger Picture...rather than having outrage,
yet, watching horrible events continue.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 08-11-2020, 05:21 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITESH SHAH
There are many good contributions and points valid from different views .

With word 'Surrender' comes a feeling of loss of independence and sovereignty and hence instantaneous resistance to it. But people definitely surrender (they don't have choice ) but to the people whom they consider powerful and capable of supporting them in some way. When they feel (not just know intellectually ) that there is nobody powerful than God , their surrender to God is natural and easy .

It's true very few have these realization of omni-potence of God and we have the situation u rightly describe.

Hitesh shah,

Yes, surrender is a recognition of weakness and at the same time a demonstration of humility.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:23 PM
Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
Hitesh shah,

Yes, surrender is a recognition of weakness and at the same time a demonstration of humility.
Spiritually I don't see surrender as a weakness but a willingness to acknowledge a higher power to replace the limits of what we have accomplished with our ego.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:46 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameliorate
Spiritually I don't see surrender as a weakness but a willingness to acknowledge a higher power to replace the limits of what we have accomplished with our ego.

Of course I would suggest there are limits to our power......but little interest here in pursuing semantics.....:)
Old 08-11-2020, 06:53 PM
Guide
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
Of course I would suggest there are limits to our power......but little interest here in pursuing semantics.....:)
My point was that to surrender is not a sign of weakness, spiritually, but a wise direction to hand over our power; it's a sign of humility i.e. a positive virtue.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:28 PM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameliorate
My point was that to surrender is not a sign of weakness, spiritually, but a wise direction
to hand over our power; it's a sign of humility i.e. a positive virtue.
Well said.

(But that's cuz you brown-nosed me in the Miss H thread) Kidding!

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru