Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old Yesterday, 02:14 AM
Guide

Ego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaelyn
Yes it is either here now, experienced now, projected now, or it doesn't exist.
Only now actually exists. The past and future are only known and imagined now. So neither is actually anything about the past and future, both only exist in the now.

Conceptually we understand and imagine moving through time, and mentally we can have ideas about transcendence or sublimation, but as applied, this means imagining ourselves externally, me as a thing, me as an idea (that is moving though conceptual time) ...which is an idea of me. If one carries an idea of oneself mentally, and is not simply experientially aware of "I am", one is in ego, is an ego. Ego is a consciousness identified with their conditioned conceptual content. With mental images. Instead of merely being here now free of such's influence. Conceptual content is always in the now, readily available in the now, but one without ego makes it background and not foreground. One without ego carefully decides what to make a part of their now. What to entertain mentally and what not to. What to make a part of the now and their consciousness and what not to. Pit bulls exist in the world, but one does not have to let them into their yard. So it is with pit bulls and ideas.

When u have to decide n make choice , there is ego(I maker contents) present always. Without that choice is simply not possible. So rule that ego is always there n without that we can not function is accurate.

Ego is sort of a reference point from where we think, speak n act. Without this reference point life can not function.

Now the question is of the contents of the ego n not the ego itself and improvement in its contents n processes related thereto.

Also there is a concept of non-doership or 'Akarta' which in laymen lingo implies I am not the doer of things . In effect it means I am able to do things with help from somebody else - a higher self . In no way this means to abrogate responsibility . Responsibility for one's act is always there and one can not escape it . Ego is always there and one has to accept responsibility for his/her actions while acknowledging the help of others (higher self ) in his/her actions . Truly spiritual seeks punishments even for accidental mistakes which practically is not required (forget about the intentional malicious misdeeds or acts/omission of gross derelict negligence which they dont do even in dreams) .

It's not rocket science . There is no need to complicate it . We are simple beings interested in simple useful stuffs for us . Transcendence is as discussed journey , progress , development . Like when we walk , one feet of ours leave the current position and another feet holds the current position . The earlier foot takes the position / grip of another place and then only we move the other foot . Same way transcendence/sublimation happens from a reference point - seat of the ego . It has to replace the contents of it one by one while still holding the other contents . We need not get carried away in the technical lingo/jargons . Technical lingo / jargons are important only if it make real improvement in our lives.

Last edited by HITESH SHAH : Yesterday at 04:12 AM.
Old Yesterday, 04:23 AM
Guide

transcendence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenslade
Who is a truly Spiritual person? That's your assessment based on your judgement.
Best answer for this is Jesus , St Paul , Socrates , Buddha , Krishna,Ram , Confucius , Mohmd Paygamber . They are the trillionaires of spiritual world.And there is wide array of others like saints, scientists , philanthropist , social/political activists (for justice/equality/ freedom/fairness ) who too can be considered enlightened in varying degrees . As told earlier , enlightenment / realization implies a journey . And one's journey in the world ends at the time of death . So the enlightenment status of anyone can best be gauged/judged only after death of person .

Quote:
Without the ego there is no Spiritual or improvement.
Dont know why u are repeating same things again and again as your exclusive finding . When u are transcending ego , ego is always there . There is nothing to dissociate/kill.

What you are telling is right but its not your exclusive discovery or invention . Many people not only know/talk about this, but practice this truth actively in their life.
Old Yesterday, 05:50 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
Well, that would be full-blown enlightenment. There's a continuum between totally absorbed in the ego-self and enlightened, and if one pays attention the difference in state of being along that continuum is apparent. So it's not black & white.

That's a great concept and it's one that's sold as a motivation tool in a lot of spiritual movements but in reality cannot be obtained by a persons with a living phisical body .
Old Yesterday, 10:20 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
Good point about the responsibility..
This can also become very unnatural to one's self, where you end up becoming your own police man, constantly correcting yourself and categorizing yourself in different parts. Alternatively, we can have the view where we are not multiple identities but are one (identity) that is variable.
It's surprising how many people 'compartmentalise' aspects of themselves, so for instance in the forums they're Spiritual and outside they're 'regular people'. We take on roles, often depending on the social settings. Being 'not me' is just that, compartmentalising what is seen as the ego and denying it. The intreresting thing is that it can show us smething very Spiritual.
Old Yesterday, 10:26 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueElephant
Good point. The ego, when "purified" cleaned up, simplified, carries character and with that a kind of enjoyment of existence, temporary or eternal.

In many traditions / spiritual paths the ego is used to accomplish Realization ( need I explain what I mean by this term?). As written above it is for all paths.

What I mean here is that it is blatantly used, no need to necessarily curb it.
The ego provides the ground under your feet, from which you can stand and see your own landscape. The rest depends on the ground the individual is standing on. It can enjoiy existence or curse it.

Realisation can't be accomplished withiut the ego, because it is the "Sense of I am" that has the Realisation. It was the ego that wanted to be Realised in the first place, because being Realised makes it a badass.
Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM
Master
Quote:
It's surprising how many people 'compartmentalise' aspects of themselves, so for instance in the forums they're Spiritual and outside they're 'regular people'. We take on roles, often depending on the social settings. Being 'not me' is just that, compartmentalising what is seen as the ego and denying it. The intreresting thing is that it can show us smething very Spiritual.

Hmm it might be a very natural thing to do. It's more common to view ourselves as a noun, not a verb, so by extent if one believes in different layers (such as physical, mental, intellectual, spiritual, ego, false ego, higher self, lower self) one ends up with many identities. Some will be classified as ''ego'', others as the genuine ''self''. You get personality characteristics that will be discarded as illusions, and others being 'real'. You end up with a spirituality that has sacrificed all ''lower'' pieces and elevates specific ''higher'' characteristic as ''true''..

IMO it is the result of millennia of complex civilization. Structures upon structures upon structures.

I agree with you... we take on roles depending on setting. I am me in all those settings, I'm in the calmness and in the storm.
Old Yesterday, 06:43 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Realisation can't be accomplished withiut the ego, because it is the "Sense of I am" that has the Realisation. It was the ego that wanted to be Realised in the first place, because being Realised makes it a badass.

Good insight here. Simple and straight to the point.