Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 29-11-2020, 06:01 PM
Seeker
Question Study links mindfulness and meditation to narcissism and “spiritual superiority”

https://www.psychnewsdaily.com/study...l-superiority/

"...The authors also created three scales that they hypothesized would correlate with spiritual superiority.

The first scale, “spiritual guidance,” relates to how much people try to help others acquire the same wisdom they have acquired. It includes statements such as “I help others whenever possible on their path to greater wisdom and insight,” “I gladly help others to acquire my insights too,” and “I am patient with others, because I understand it takes time to gain the insights that I gained in my life and my education.”

The second scale is “supernatural overconfidence,” and it encompasses self-ascribed abilities in the paranormal domain. Example statements include “I can send positive energy to others from a distance,” “I can get in touch with people who are deceased,” and “I can influence the world around me with my thoughts.”

The third scale, “spiritual contingency of self-worth,” measures how much a person’s self-esteem is derived from their spirituality. Sample statements include “My faith in myself increases when I acquire more spiritual wisdom” and “When I gain new spiritual insights, this increases my self-worth.”

In the three studies described below, the researchers found that their scale of spiritual superiority is a valid instrument. Moreover, it correlates significantly with the other three scales. It also correlates significantly with narcissism, self‐esteem, and other psychological variables. Finally, it also correlates, to varying degrees, with diverse forms of spiritual training."

https://www.psychnewsdaily.com/study...l-superiority/
Metaphors of Movement: https://www.metaphorsofmovement.co.uk
Esoteric Study Group: https://www.historiailliusitineris.com
Brain, Mind and Language: https://www.23NLPeople.com
Old 29-11-2020, 06:37 PM
Good topic.
Juicy for the intellectuals or psychology majors.
I mean it. :)

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 29-11-2020, 07:41 PM
JustASimpleGuy

From the article:

The people who agreed to take part in this research might not represent spirituality students in general. “The question is whether a truly enlightened person would even participate in our studies,” the authors write. “Would such a person be interested in or even capable of answering all these ‘me’ questions?”

The result of the research might very well reflect self-selection bias. I wouldn't even take the enlightened into consideration because that has to be a teeny, tiny fraction of humanity however I would take into account people pursuing spirituality for spirituality's sake. The possibility exists this type of research tends to attract a polar opposite sample that guarantees the result.

In other words I don't place much stock in the result as a blanket statement on mindfulness, meditation or spirituality in general.
Old 29-11-2020, 08:32 PM
Master

It seems the study reached the reasonably expected conclusions.

It was about the people who practice, not about the practice. It was meant to show correlation and not causality.

People, whatever their motives, want to do something they think is good, for them and others, and feel good about that, and to a certain degree look down on those who have other beliefs.

Are they fooling themselves? Yes, the overwhelming majority, probably all, in my opinion.

To me, the only path is turning inwards and tapping into your inner source of knowledge and guidance, over any guru, dogma, logic, fad. No logic, no emotions; those are just tools.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 29-11-2020, 10:19 PM
Master
How many employment job titles or college degrees, gives a person a “superiority complex,” or are the impetus for narcissistic behavior? When I was in a PhD program I found that most people I met who were seeking a PhD were narcissistic and had a superior view of themselves.

When I worked in the medical profession I found a lot of M.D.‘s who were narcissistic and had a superiority view of themselves, etc. The medical profession, as well as the military, had a superiority top down pecking order. There are many pursuits this can be said about. In fact if people are pursing something most likely it is because they feel that thing has value to them.

The article referenced is a nonspecific generalized summary, and I don’t readily buy into it when someone says “research shows,” especially when the design of that research is faulty. They need to look at and talk about the variables. All research has variables which may influence that research, although some alternative considerations in doing such a research topic as this are noted in the article.

Lots of people who have had spiritual experiences, feel like they have conquered death, and this can give them a superior outlook. This is true of religious people as well. On the other hand meditation is all about the practitioner, and I can see how that may be viewed as narcissism as well. I come down on the side of what is healthy. Self love is healthy but not to the degree of narcissism. A good self-esteem is also healthy, but not to the degree of imposing superiority to others.

Good research will generate more, further questions, than it does give answers. Sound and valid research generates further questions more than it does give answers. Research is not solely about answers, rather empirical research is also about finding the right questions to ask for future ongoing research. In my opinion humility is the bedrock of genuine spirituality. A humility that comes naturally when we bathe in our own deeper being.
Old 15-12-2020, 05:24 PM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
To me, the only path is turning inwards and tapping into your inner source of knowledge and guidance, over any guru, dogma, logic, fad. No logic, no emotions; those are just tools.

This simple statement is of tremendous importance! Thank you!
Old 15-12-2020, 06:32 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphynx
:) .
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 06-01-2021, 09:47 PM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphynx
Krishnamuirti taught this simple knowledge for many years and showed us our own power and knowledge is even greater than that of the sages.We have always been our very own Guru and need nothing else.