Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 12-08-2021, 04:27 AM
Eelco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Yea, you'll be hard pressed to find mantra Buddhism unless you go pretty far out into the fringe sects.
Just google Medicine buddha and see what comes up.
One Mantra, sung by many a Mahayana Buddhist and laypeople. often on a daily basis to alleviate this world of illness. If that's not mantra Buddhism on a large scale I don't know what is.
Old 12-08-2021, 06:12 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eelco
One Mantra, sung by many a Mahayana Buddhist and laypeople. often on a daily basis to alleviate this world of illness. If that's not mantra Buddhism on a large scale I don't know what is.
It's amazing how one word 'Mantra' can cause so much Nit Picking, thanks for bringing up Medicine Buddha
Old 12-08-2021, 07:51 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eelco
Yea, you'll find the Tibetans do all sorts of things like conjure deities and chant mantras and so on, but it's irrelevant to universal dhamma. It follows that being a Buddhist is irrelevant as well. It makes no difference either way. Personally I consider mantras, statues, robes, shaven heads and all the noisy bells and stuff to be a bit ridiculous and have no interest , which is just me, but others think it means something and get involved with all that. I'm just saying it doesn't matter because nature's way is the same for everyone, and that's what makes it "dhamma".
Old 12-08-2021, 08:38 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Personally I consider mantras, statues, robes, shaven heads and all the noisy bells and stuff to be a bit ridiculous and have no interest
Does that include Chanting ?
SN Goenka’s is known for His ' Legendary Chants.' SN Goenka chanted phrases in an ancient Indian language called Poly, in order to create good vibrations for the meditators. At the end of the meditation, Meditators chanted 'Sadu' three times, meaning 'I Agree'
It looks like Chanting is also Universal
Old 12-08-2021, 09:36 AM
Master
SN Goenka Retreats Mantra.

Vipassana Metta Chant (aka Sabka Mangal Hoye Re)
Which means... May Goodness Happen for All...
Sounds good to me
Old 12-08-2021, 09:37 AM
Deactivated Account
To whom it may concern:-

Just to say that the Nembutsu is in no way a mantra. Put simply, it is simply "thank you".

Its origins are lost back in time. Maybe from the Hindu traditions, pre-Buddhist.......maybe as the Mahayana traditions emerged out of Gotama's original teachings (if they ever were "original") Then again, maybe it came over from Palestine?

Then I think of Meister Eckhart, who said that if our only prayer was "thank you" it would be enough. I suspect he nicked this from us Pure Landers, but I'm not able to substantiate this.

Anyway, namu-amida-butsu

Old 12-08-2021, 10:36 AM
Master
They have what's called chanting, which is like reciting suttas off by heart, as different to mantra, which is repeating a word, phrase or sound repetitively. Personally I don't get involved in chanting, mantras, saying saddhu or anything like that. Some people do, but it makes no difference. I did 'take refuge' and the sila vows when I understood meditation requires a high degree of morality and surrender to the way of nature.
Old 12-08-2021, 11:26 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
They have what's called chanting, which is like reciting suttas off by heart, as different to mantra, which is repeating a word, phrase or sound repetitively. Personally I don't get involved in chanting, mantras, saying saddhu or anything like that. Some people do, but it makes no difference. I did 'take refuge' and the sila vows when I understood meditation requires a high degree of morality and surrender to the way of nature.

Who are "they"?

(The nembutsu is neither mantra nor chant)
Old 12-08-2021, 11:30 AM
Deactivated Account
Just to clarify, I do not see mantras or chanting as "ridiculous". Just not particularly my thing, being totally secular.
Old 12-08-2021, 11:37 AM
Deactivated Account
Further clarification.....

There were disputes about how many "nembutsus" were required for true faith (shinjin) Shinran thought the question ridiculous.

Saichi the cobbler had it right....

"O Saichi, do, you recite the Nembutsu only when you think of it? What do you do when you do not think of it?" "Yes, well, when I do not think of it, there is the 'Namu-amida-butsu' just the same........"

(I'm glad I got that apprenticeship when I did..... )