Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 30-11-2019, 10:40 PM
Master

An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth

Let's take a look at Exodus 21:24 "Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot" ( you can read the entire Exodus 21, in fact, start with Exodus 20 to see the it was "God" who was actually saying all those words )

Now, let's take a look at Matthew 5:38 "You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’" - Matthew 5:39 "But I TELL YOU, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also"

Do you see what I am trying to show you? Let's look at Matthew 5:43 "You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy."

People assume that Exodus 24 and not only are actually the words of God, yet Jesus does not say that, He says You have heard that it was said, said, but by whom? My humble guess is that by man and man alone.

Now, one more thing, the OT does not teach to hate your enemy, but look at the contrast between Matthew 5:38 and Matthew 5:43, the first one points to Exodus 21:24 and the last one appears as being simply the belief of people from that time, this is also telling me that Jesus Christ was actually saying that these are not the words of the Maker, but the words of man.

By the way, one more contrast, here, Christ uses You have heard that it was said but in Matthew 19:4 He uses Have ye not read, notice the contrast between said and read? This contrast is telling me what was actually divine inspiration, and what was simply said by man.

I really have to study the scriptures in their original languages to be sure of my findings, I don't know what happens, but it seems that there are moments when certain things from the scriptures are appearing to me.Now, the strange part is that this happens in a moment when I am not actually reading the scriptures, the ideas appear and in my mind and I am so intriguied by them that I have to do some study right away.

I am sharing this with you because I love to hear your ideas.
Old 30-11-2019, 10:58 PM
Great research!

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 01-12-2019, 12:31 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Great research!

Yep that is genuine research. I never heard that before. Ha, that is the real Jesus. "The truth is in scripture but the truth is not scripture". I've always wanted to ask a Muslim if they would agree with that statement. I have my suspicions what the answer would be... laughter.

Jesus is always doing and saying something you don't expect. and you wonder if he had a theology that supported what we are doing in trying to de-mystify scripture, or re-mystify it, whichever is right. They built a whacking great big structure around it that covers the essential core, which Jesus was the original source of, and he is always expounding on in, parables. Mary's baby, Lord
Old 01-12-2019, 07:26 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatMan
Let's take a look at Exodus 21:24 "Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot" ( you can read the entire Exodus 21, in fact, start with Exodus 20 to see the it was "God" who was actually saying all those words )

Now, let's take a look at Matthew 5:38 "You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’" - Matthew 5:39 "But I TELL YOU, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also"

Do you see what I am trying to show you? Let's look at Matthew 5:43 "You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy."

People assume that Exodus 24 and not only are actually the words of God, yet Jesus does not say that, He says You have heard that it was said, said, but by whom? My humble guess is that by man and man alone.

Now, one more thing, the OT does not teach to hate your enemy, but look at the contrast between Matthew 5:38 and Matthew 5:43, the first one points to Exodus 21:24 and the last one appears as being simply the belief of people from that time, this is also telling me that Jesus Christ was actually saying that these are not the words of the Maker, but the words of man.

By the way, one more contrast, here, Christ uses You have heard that it was said but in Matthew 19:4 He uses Have ye not read, notice the contrast between said and read? This contrast is telling me what was actually divine inspiration, and what was simply said by man.

I really have to study the scriptures in their original languages to be sure of my findings, I don't know what happens, but it seems that there are moments when certain things from the scriptures are appearing to me.Now, the strange part is that this happens in a moment when I am not actually reading the scriptures, the ideas appear and in my mind and I am so intriguied by them that I have to do some study right away.

I am sharing this with you because I love to hear your ideas.

It has always seemed very odd to me that God wasn't/isn't capable of correctly translating something that he wants us all to know. This inability of his has led to nothing other than total confusion, a confusion which has led again and again to utter catastrophe.

We really could have expected something better.

The constantly promoted belief (induced by religions) that we are born to be good and obey (in order to enter heaven) is a tragic error in the concept of the universe's plan and an insult to mankind's intellect.

'A clear conscience is the sure sign of a bad memory'
- Mark Twain.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:39 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busby
It has always seemed very odd to me that God wasn't/isn't capable of correctly translating something that he wants us all to know. This inability of his has led to nothing other than total confusion, a confusion which has led again and again to utter catastrophe.

We really could have expected something better.

You can't blame God for Man's Translations
Old 01-12-2019, 07:54 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
You can't blame God for Man's Translations

In which case God made a very basic mistake - he obviously - in spite of being so supereverything - lost control.

The constantly promoted belief (induced by religions) that we are born to be good and obey (in order to enter heaven) is a tragic error in the concept of the universe's plan and an insult to mankind's intellect.

'A clear conscience is the sure sign of a bad memory'
- Mark Twain.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:14 AM
Master
Quote:
Let's take a look at Exodus 21:24 "Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot" ( you can read the entire Exodus 21, in fact, start with Exodus 20 to see the it was "God" who was actually saying all those words ).
The "God" you mention, for example in Exodus 20:1 which reads "And God spoke all these words:"
In Hebrew the word for that God is אֱלֹהִ֔ים and is transliterated as Elohim.

In verse 2 the writing style change a little bit. It reads
“I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery."

In this verse, יְהוָ֣ה is mentioned that gets transliterated as Yahweh and Translated as Lord.

The Hebrew word אֱלֹהֶ֑֔יךָ gets transliterated as Eloheka which gets translated as "your God".

The more you look at these scriptures in Hebrew, the more gets revealed.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:33 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busby
In which case God made a very basic mistake - he obviously - in spite of being so supereverything - lost control.

If the Bible is divinely inspired it would have to be infallible because God wouldn't lead us down the wrong path, (would He/She) ?
Old 01-12-2019, 08:33 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
The "God" you mention, for example in Exodus 20:1 which reads "And God spoke all these words:"
In Hebrew the word for that God is אֱלֹהִ֔ים and is transliterated as Elohim.

In verse 2 the writing style change a little bit. It reads
“I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery."

In this verse, יְהוָ֣ה is mentioned that gets transliterated as Yahweh and Translated as Lord.

The Hebrew word אֱלֹהֶ֑֔יךָ gets transliterated as Eloheka which gets translated as "your God".

The more you look at these scriptures in Hebrew, the more gets revealed.

Yes, you are right, one needs to study the scriptures in their original languages to get the full picture... then you can see what is what and what is not.

To me it's clear that Jesus Christ makes a clear distinction between what He was saying in the NT and what was said in the OT, hence the word "said".

What do you think about my finding?
Old 01-12-2019, 08:44 AM
Master
Quote:
Yes, you are right, one needs to study the scriptures in their original languages to get the full picture... then you can see what is what and what is not.

To me it's clear that Jesus Christ makes a clear distinction between what He was saying in the NT and what was said in the OT, hence the word "said".

What do you think about my finding?
Could Jesus say "In book X, chapter Y and verse 7.........?

No!

Chapter and verses came later, a lot later.

A person in Jesus time would reference something that we would later call the Old Testament by saying
such expressions as "You have heard it said "and those listening that he was referencing something
mentioned in what would later be called the Old Testament.

His audiences were aware of the scriptures and were aware of who inspired the scriptures.
There was no reason to recite and rehash this information: it was already a given.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.