Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 22-07-2021, 04:20 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
It certainly feels like I am. Imagine being on the wrong side of your own 'I'. It can be terrible for me at times.
You couldn't even if you tried.
Confusion leads to clarity.
We all use light and dark all the time. This is how this reality is set up.
If you what to know what the dark is, it is pure control of oneself and others.
And we all use control to some degree. It would be impossible to be in this reality without using it.
Old 22-07-2021, 07:02 PM
Master

Quote:
It certainly feels like I am. Imagine being on the wrong side of your own 'I'. It can be terrible for me at times.

Honza,

In other traditions…namely Christian, it is the temptation in the desert…..in that case, returning to God is returning to your true Self….
Old 23-07-2021, 04:05 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
Honza,

In other traditions…namely Christian, it is the temptation in the desert…..in that case, returning to God is returning to your true Self….

I must admit that I tend to see it this way too. I am praying to Christ to help me regarding this situation. Because I am not in the know about who or what the 'true self' is I tend to shuffle around in the dark.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 23-07-2021, 09:04 PM
Master
Quote:
I must admit that I tend to see it this way too. I am praying to Christ to help me regarding this situation. Because I am not in the know about who or what the 'true self' is I tend to shuffle around in the dark.

'The wound is the place where the Light enters you.' ~ Rumi

I believe the True Light only enters in the deepest and darkest place, so even though it feels oppressive, maybe you’re heading in the right direction. You could read about the life of Saint Seraphim of Sarov, he struggled and he prayed, and in the end he found the True Light.
Old 26-07-2021, 06:23 AM
Master

The true Self is your own nature. It is the simplest thing in the world to know.

However that which veils the Self is the complex egoic mind.

The degree of the complexity of the egoic mind determines the difficulty to attain Self-knowlege or know your own Self. The more the complexity, the harder it is to know the Self.

This is why austerities have been prescribed in Hinduism. The satsang or company of saints and especially enlightened sages also helps a lot. The Self is the subtlest , and it takes a lot of sensitivity to perceive it within oneself.

Incessant craving for pleasure through the senses and the perpetual demand for their satisfaction brings about dullness, grossness and insensitivity in the long run.

The austerities (tapas) purify the body and mind, brings about heightened sensitivity and thereby one is able to perceive the Self within oneself.

The austerities in general have been mentioned in the Bhagavad Gita.( 17.14 - 17.16)

Quote:
BG 17.14: Worship of the Supreme Lord, the sages, the spiritual master, the wise, and the elders—when this is done with the observance of cleanliness, simplicity, celibacy, and non-violence—is declared as the austerity of the body.

BG 17.15: Words that do not cause distress, are truthful, inoffensive, and beneficial, as well as the regular recitation of the scriptures—these are declared as the austerity of speech.

BG 17.16: Serenity of thought,cheerfulness, gentleness, silence, self-control, and purity of purpose—all these are declared as the austerity of the mind.

Adherence to the yama niyamas, disciplined lifestyle, abstinence from intoxicants, being in company of sages and saints, reading or listening to the scriptural teachings (sravana), contemplation (manana) and diligent application (nidhidhyasana) all comprise austerities too.

Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost.~ Buddha AN 10.1

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the (turbulent) mind. ~ Rajini Menon

Last edited by ajay00 : 26-07-2021 at 08:27 AM.
Old 26-07-2021, 02:28 PM
Master
I also wonder if I have annoyed the Hindu Gods by demeaning them. As I was learning about Hinduism and I AM I would often lash out at them. I still feel that the path of self realisation is not the true path. I disregard it in favour of Christ. I sense hostility from Hinduism....

Old 26-07-2021, 02:52 PM
Master
Quote:
I also wonder if I have annoyed the Hindu Gods by demeaning them. I sense hostility from Hinduism....
Now your in biggggggg trouble
Old 26-07-2021, 03:38 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Now your in biggggggg trouble

Well you know what they say about Kali....

Old 26-07-2021, 03:43 PM
Quote:
.. I still feel that the path of self realisation is not the true path. I disregard it in favour of Christ.
Me? I don't think God, the Creator of All That Is, by whatever name -
cares 'how' you acknowledge Him or love Him or find Him.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 26-07-2021, 03:56 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Me? I don't think God, the Creator of All That Is, by whatever name -
cares 'how' you acknowledge Him or love Him or find Him.

Miss Hepburn,

Perhaps it is just semantics…..but I prefer the focus that Christ realization implies. It sort of removes the idea that it is all about me…..