Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Spiritualism

Old 17-04-2022, 03:06 PM
Deactivated Account
Ancient Spiritualism cf. Modern Spiritualism then......
Old 18-04-2022, 11:08 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjob
Ancient Spiritualism cf. Modern Spiritualism then......

You could say that. The story of the Witch of Endor and the Spirit of Samuel would seem to be an example of ancient Spiritualism ... though there is understandably some controversy regarding the story in Judaic/Christian circles.
Old 18-04-2022, 01:19 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
You could say that.
I did say that.....

Stuff from that far back is decidedly ancient for me compared with stuff from a couple of centuries ago as with the movement of Modern Spiritualism that emerged post Fox Sisters, Hydesville etc.

As for what might have gone on "....in Judaic/Christian circles" I'll leave that to those who find those issues interesting or important.
Old 18-04-2022, 03:15 PM
Master
QUOTE 43 EXCERPT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjob

Stuff from that far back is decidedly ancient for me compared with stuff from a couple of centuries ago as with the movement of Modern Spiritualism that emerged post Fox Sisters, Hydesville etc.

As for what might have gone on "....in Judaic/Christian circles" I'll leave that to those who find those issues interesting or important.

The main reason that I brought up the story about the Witch of Endor (possibly Ancient Spiritualism if actually true) is that communication with Spirits was considered a demonistic practice in those times... so it surprised me that a story like that was able to remain in the Bible ... unless it was meant to "demonize" King Saul. In any case, it was somewhat surprising to read a story like that in the Bible. It's really hard to determine what actually happened in that particular case. Like yourself, I too prefer the more modern information ... better documented ... on Spiritualism.
Old 18-04-2022, 03:35 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
The main reason that I brought up the story about the Witch of Endor (possibly Ancient Spiritualism if actually true) is that communication with Spirits was considered a demonistic practice in those times... so it surprised me that a story like that was able to remain in the Bible ... unless it was meant to "demonize" King Saul.
The Bible can often be a puzzling work.

I'm always surprised - even at my age and with my experience - that so many take its words as literal and quote (again literally) chapter-and-verse as if by doing that it makes every word in there authoritative and not open to challenge.

But I digress.... this is the 'Spiritualism' forum under the umbrella category 'Religions and Faiths'. I should stick to what I know and not witter on about what I don't.
Old 18-04-2022, 03:46 PM
Master
Possibly, if one studies the various religions, they might find they have much in common with other religions.

As for Samuel, he heard his name called numerous times and later realized it was God/Universe talking to him. In his case, he was able to bring forth an important message from Spirit that major changes were coming forward and they would not be pleasant to the one hearing it.

How many of us have heard a voice and not know where it was coming from?

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 19-04-2022, 05:08 PM
Master
QUOTE 46 EXCERPT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn

As for Samuel, he heard his name called numerous times and later realized it was God/Universe talking to him. In his case, he was able to bring forth an important message from Spirit that major changes were coming forward and they would not be pleasant to the one hearing it.

As for Samuel, who REALLY knows what he actually "heard" and what was the source of all that he "heard". Although he is generally accepted as a prophet in all three Abrahamic religions, some of his actions could indeed be considered questionable at best (the genocide of the Amalekites, choosing Saul as the first king, etc.)

In any case, since this is a Spiritist thread, here's an interesting article about the Witch of Endor and the reported appearance of the Spirit of Samuel. If my understanding is correct, Samuel's "ghost" is the only mention of possible Spirit communication in the Bible.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/faq/...tewart_121.cfm

It's an interesting read on this particular reported case of Spiritism from a Biblical perspective.

NOTE: After participating in a Bible study on Kings I and II .... the stories about Samuel in particular inspired my taking a break from those scriptures for a while.

Last edited by Still_Waters : 19-04-2022 at 06:11 PM.
Old 19-04-2022, 06:26 PM
Master
Quote:

EXCERPT

If my understanding is correct, Samuel's "ghost" is the only mention of possible Spirit communication in the Bible.

I would say the Spirit that called out Samuel's name several times and then later gave Samuel an important message to be given to the head of the 'temple' was probably would of the more important Spirit given messages in Biblicl history. One person who out shined Samuel in important messages from Spirit was, of course, Jesus himself.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 19-04-2022, 06:29 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
After participating in a Bible study on Kings I and II .... the stories about Samuel in particular inspired my taking a break from those scriptures for a while.
Until fairly recently I had never heard of Bible study groups and it had never crossed my mind that the Bible would need such study. The religion-and-philosophy that underpins my own persuasion is simple in concept, simple in operation, and needs no study groups to appreciate what it represents. Yet it embraces the same, key principal figures!

blessings
Old 19-04-2022, 06:37 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
In any case, since this is a Spiritist thread, ......
To be correct, this is NOT a Spiritist thread and it's not a Spiritist Forum but maybe you're mischief-making?

Last edited by bobjob : 19-04-2022 at 08:18 PM.