Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 23-09-2020, 07:59 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha3
Hello. I was wondering how do you convince people to believe in Jesus Christ and go to church. I want to help people spread his word.

You won't do it by being on SFs. You'll have to get onto your feet and take the necessary steps. You know about 'the bird in the field' bit - that's the only thing that makes sense and certainly doesn't involve going to church and eating fish on Fridays.

The constantly promoted belief (induced by religions) that we are born to be good and obey (in order to enter heaven) is a tragic error in the concept of the universe's plan and an insult to mankind's intellect.

'A clear conscience is the sure sign of a bad memory'
- Mark Twain.
Old 24-09-2020, 04:17 AM
Master
Quote:
Hello. I was wondering how do you convince people to believe in Jesus Christ and go to church. I want to help people spread his word.
do it with an open mind and uncontrolled way of thinking. I'll use myself as a example, I was raised to fear and follow God, go and give to the church as much as possible. All of that is what pushed me away from it. Keep that in mind when talking to others about it. All of it was way to demanding. I still believe in God and all the morals behind Gods word but the controlling side of the church I struggle with. The same things will probably be going through there mind as you speak. Maybe try to get them to break away from that stereotype. If it is only a stereotype. Maybe let them know you only want to help, be honest and know what your talking about, a skeptical person will challenge you. Please take on that challenge. If you really want to get through to someone and break down walls, DON'T use " because the Bible/God told me so". Once a skeptical person hears that all effort on your end will be lost. Use logic and prove you really know and feel what your talking about.In your quest skeptical people are going to be your biggest challenge. Just speaking from my own experience. Hope it helps you on your quest.
Just in light hearted educational fun. Do you want to learn how to deal with a skeptical person and possibly get a skeptic to walk away at least thinking about your views? If you want to learn, let's give it a try, you start. Just so you know, I am a open minded skeptic, most skeptical people are, they just won't let you know there's a chance.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:57 PM
Ascender
Quote:

first you must learn who to pray to the God of Israel. Jehovah (English), Yahweh,(Hebrew). though MANY Bible versions in (Exo. 6:3) uses JEHOVAH. man can only go to him through Jesus his Son ,(John 3:16). see ,(John 15:16 You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you).

we have to make sure we're learning and teaching the truth, because it means ALL of our lives, (John 8:31,32 So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free"). then we must apply the truth to our lives. if not, then we're just fooling ourselves.

see, (James 1:21-24 Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness, and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls. But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man observing his natural face in a mirror. for he observes himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was). also why would we want someone to listen to us when we're living the ways of satan's wicked system ourselves?

MANY seem to believe, just believing in Jesus and going to "Church", will lead to salvation. satan misleads MANY with this belief. true we MUST believe in Jesus, because he's speaks ALL that his Father wanted him to speak...to us, (John 15:15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant know not what his lord do: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you).

MANY people sit in their places of worship saying that they are "Christians." but do the way they live shows this or are they really lovers of the world, (James 4:4 Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God?) see also (John 17:14 I have given them Your word; and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world). people will ONLY listen when they're ready. peace
Old 02-10-2020, 05:49 PM
Master
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo50
first you must learn who to pray to the God of Israel. Jehovah (English), Yahweh,(Hebrew). though MANY Bible versions in (Exo. 6:3) uses JEHOVAH. man can only go to him through Jesus his Son ,(John 3:16). see ,(John 15:16 You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you).

we have to make sure we're learning and teaching the truth, because it means ALL of our lives, (John 8:31,32 So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free"). then we must apply the truth to our lives. if not, then we're just fooling ourselves.

see, (James 1:21-24 Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness, and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls. But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man observing his natural face in a mirror. for he observes himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was). also why would we want someone to listen to us when we're living the ways of satan's wicked system ourselves?

MANY seem to believe, just believing in Jesus and going to "Church", will lead to salvation. satan misleads MANY with this belief. true we MUST believe in Jesus, because he's speaks ALL that his Father wanted him to speak...to us, (John 15:15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant know not what his lord do: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you).

MANY people sit in their places of worship saying that they are "Christians." but do the way they live shows this or are they really lovers of the world, (James 4:4 Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God?) see also (John 17:14 I have given them Your word; and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world). people will ONLY listen when they're ready. peace

Nice discussion.

Knowing God, especially his name, is foremost but knowing that the mediator between man and God is next in importance. Having knowledge is one thing but living in accordance with that knowledge is another thing.

As for people listening: Jesus claimed most people would not listen..... but there will be some who do. As Jesus indicated, true believers will be know by their fruits.

As the scriptures indicate "The meek will inherit the Earth."

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Old 03-10-2020, 10:15 AM
Master

The town in which I live has 20,000 inhabitants. When I came with my family in 1967 there were 8,000 inhabitants. The congregation in the town's two churches has fallen constantly. I have bothered to go and have a look and can tell you that the RC church has about 100 worshippers on a Sunday morning and the protestant about 70/80, the majority are elderly people.

When I moved into where I am now both churches rang the hour 24/7, it was in some sort of way comforting in the night to hear the bells - but of course I can say that - I don't live next door. Then as people complained about the noise the churches reduced the clang effect. That wasn't enough and now the churches are quiet except for mass, weddings and so on.
Now here's my point, it may seem strange but there are plenty more examples. Why does the Church (capital) think it's OK to let the bells ring using automatic machines. How does that prove to any prospective worshipper that the churches are serious about any messages they may have? How do they expect that flicking a switch will persuade any prospective congregation that the church is part of daily life?
Those small villages and communities where there are bell-ringers are much nearer to identifying themselves with the community than those using computers.

Our protestant church is represented by three vicars, each earns double as much as a working family father, each has a house or flat paid for out of our taxes. In our taxes there is 3% church tax - a letter to the tax office can remove one from the list but not many do that - otherwise you get a bill for funerals, weddings and so on from the church involved.

Why do Churches (capital) employ accountants and own land. The Church of England owns immense amounts of land, all sorts of buildings and properties. It's just that there are innumerable people who are homeless and the Church is more concerned with balancing the books, wearing funny clothes and upkeeping its bishops' palaces than opening its doors and looking after these people.

Just one more thing before I go. Why doesn't all the world's Christian churches stick to the Bible (as God's word) - how can it be expected that our so-called modern society can simply change the meaning of these words to suit the way things are or have developed.

I could go on, but know that the die was cast long ago.

There are a thousands things which need to be changed to get people to believe that there is a boss somewhere 'up there' who casts his eye on what is going on down below to make sure that he's 'in the picture' about my and your behaviour.

The constantly promoted belief (induced by religions) that we are born to be good and obey (in order to enter heaven) is a tragic error in the concept of the universe's plan and an insult to mankind's intellect.

'A clear conscience is the sure sign of a bad memory'
- Mark Twain.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:41 PM
janielee

Thanks, Busby. I remember watching a video of a pastor who said he needed a new airplane, a top of its class airplane because it was God's will. His parishioners paid for it through donations and he, per God's will according to himself flew in exquisite luxury.I assume most of those parishioners were poorer folk or normal folk who were/are taught to show devotion through donation.

I think what is most problematic about Christianity in its modern, mainstream form is the degree of hypocrisy that is an inherent and critical part of its whole make up.

By cutting off the path for adherents to find God for oneself (as opposed to through a belief system or through a Church or pastor) the religion has created a whole class of believers.

Believers whom cannot help but be hypocritical. Bearing the burden of original sin, they can't help but turn away from the reality of their make up and through a combination of guilt/fear/ignorance, and seek God elsewhere. It is well known that God and Jesus taught love - love your neighbor like yourself, cherish and feed the poor, and yet on this forum and other places, I've seen folks who cannot help but hate even as they use words like "love" to those they like.

It is natural in a way because it is ego's function to create and divide, and conquer and dislike and like, but that's fine; the road of spirituality is intended to give everyone (all of Us) an equal chance to learn the path of God or Truth or Divine Well-being.

When I read and became more acquainted with the Gospel of Thomas, and looked at the words of the Saints of the past in Christianity, I was happy to see Jesus's true words and intent come through in many Christian contemplatives. That they know God not as something on paper or belief but through intimate revelation and experiential insights. On this forum we also have some amazing Christians who have shown that they understand the Spirit, not just the Letter.

But the modern, mainstream Church, by virtue of its make up, discounts and disregards personal contemplation of one's own nearness and likeness to God, the very real possibility and promise that Heaven is right here, right now, available to all who can find it in their hearts to live the life that Jesus exhibited for Us All.

Christ Has No Body

Christ has no body now on earth but yours,
no hands but yours,
no feet but yours,
Yours are the eyes through which is to look out
Christ’s compassion to the world;
Yours are the feet with which he is to go about
doing good;
Yours are the hands with which he is to bless men now.

– St Teresa of Avila
Old 04-10-2020, 07:24 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by janielee
Thanks, Busby. I remember watching a video of a pastor who said he needed a new airplane, a top of its class airplane because it was God's will. His parishioners paid for it through donations and he, per God's will according to himself flew in exquisite luxury.I assume most of those parishioners were poorer folk or normal folk who were/are taught to show devotion through donation.

I think what is most problematic about Christianity in its modern, mainstream form is the degree of hypocrisy that is an inherent and critical part of its whole make up.

By cutting off the path for adherents to find God for oneself (as opposed to through a belief system or through a Church or pastor) the religion has created a whole class of believers.

Believers whom cannot help but be hypocritical. Bearing the burden of original sin, they can't help but turn away from the reality of their make up and through a combination of guilt/fear/ignorance, and seek God elsewhere. It is well known that God and Jesus taught love - love your neighbor like yourself, cherish and feed the poor, and yet on this forum and other places, I've seen folks who cannot help but hate even as they use words like "love" to those they like.

It is natural in a way because it is ego's function to create and divide, and conquer and dislike and like, but that's fine; the road of spirituality is intended to give everyone (all of Us) an equal chance to learn the path of God or Truth or Divine Well-being.

When I read and became more acquainted with the Gospel of Thomas, and looked at the words of the Saints of the past in Christianity, I was happy to see Jesus's true words and intent come through in many Christian contemplatives. That they know God not as something on paper or belief but through intimate revelation and experiential insights. On this forum we also have some amazing Christians who have shown that they understand the Spirit, not just the Letter.

But the modern, mainstream Church, by virtue of its make up, discounts and disregards personal contemplation of one's own nearness and likeness to God, the very real possibility and promise that Heaven is right here, right now, available to all who can find it in their hearts to live the life that Jesus exhibited for Us All.

Christ Has No Body

Christ has no body now on earth but yours,
no hands but yours,
no feet but yours,
Yours are the eyes through which is to look out
Christ’s compassion to the world;
Yours are the feet with which he is to go about
doing good;
Yours are the hands with which he is to bless men now.

– St Teresa of Avila

St Teresa had a good sense of humour which must have been frowned upon in Medieval Convents, especially Cloistered Orders like the Carmelites

" As St. Teresa … made her way to her convent during a fierce rainstorm, she slipped down an embankment and fell squarely into the mud. The irrepressible nun looked up to heaven and admonished her Maker, “If this is how You treat Your friends, no wonder You have so few of them "

" God protect us from sour-faced saints "

“Don’t think that if you had a great deal of time you would spend more of it in prayer. Get rid of that idea! God gives more in a moment than in a long period of time, for His actions are not measured by time at all. Know that even when you are in the kitchen, Our Lord is moving among the pots and pans.”

Must remember that when tackling the Kitchen that looks like a tornadoes ran through
Old 04-10-2020, 12:12 PM
ketzer

Quote:

Well now, some of these churches just ain’t trying. You want to get more customers these days you got to offer some perks. A full coffee bar with a good barista can really help to fill up the parking lot. All the successful mega churches in the US have them now. If you are serious about saving souls there’s nothing like a good hot steaming cup of Jo-seph to wash down the word. Which just goes to show you that competition and free markets are not only making people's lives better, but their afterlives as well.

On the other end of the spectrum we could take a look at the Westboro Baptist Church. They have a whole other take on the message of Jesus. They try to bring people in through fear of God and seem to think the best way to preach is to make one's mouth into a flame thrower and burn alive as many sinners in public as one can in order to terrorize the onlookers into submission to their message. They are a relatively small group, but their antics do give them an outsized voice, and so they are able to spread their version of the word of God a lot farther than their numbers would otherwise permit.

But then again, when you think about it, one of the most beloved ordained ministers of all time didn’t really talk all that much about God or Jesus or what the Bible says. Don’t recall him trying to push people into church on Sundays all that much either. It’s only recently with the biographies and motion pictures featuring top Hollywood talent that people are becoming aware that Fred Rogers was an ordained Christian Minister at all. Despite that I would have to say he communicated the message of Jesus much more clearly than just about any church or preacher I can think of.

So there are some choices for you. You can lure them in with a pumpkin spice latte that’s ‘to die for....and then go to heaven ’, you can drive them in by setting the seat of their pants on fire and offering your holy water to put out the flames , or you can be their friend, and let them know that you accept, love, and care about them, and perhaps they will follow you in .

Ya got some options.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:05 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketzer
Well now, some of these churches just ain’t trying. You want to get more customers these days you got to offer some perks. A full coffee bar with a good barista can really help to fill up the parking lot. All the successful mega churches in the US have them now. If you are serious about saving souls there’s nothing like a good hot steaming cup of Jo-seph to wash down the word. Which just goes to show you that competition and free markets are not only making people's lives better, but their afterlives as well.

On the other end of the spectrum we could take a look at the Westboro Baptist Church. They have a whole other take on the message of Jesus. They try to bring people in through fear of God and seem to think the best way to preach is to make one's mouth into a flame thrower and burn alive as many sinners in public as one can in order to terrorize the onlookers into submission to their message. They are a relatively small group, but their antics do give them an outsized voice, and so they are able to spread their version of the word of God a lot farther than their numbers would otherwise permit.

But then again, when you think about it, one of the most beloved ordained ministers of all time didn’t really talk all that much about God or Jesus or what the Bible says. Don’t recall him trying to push people into church on Sundays all that much either. It’s only recently with the biographies and motion pictures featuring top Hollywood talent that people are becoming aware that Fred Rogers was an ordained Christian Minister at all. Despite that I would have to say he communicated the message of Jesus much more clearly than just about any church or preacher I can think of.

So there are some choices for you. You can lure them in with a pumpkin spice latte that’s ‘to die for....and then go to heaven ’, you can drive them in by setting the seat of their pants on fire and offering your holy water to put out the flames , or you can be their friend, and let them know that you accept, love, and care about them, and perhaps they will follow you in .

Ya got some options.

Now in my Local Area we are lucky to have an Anglican Church who offer a Full English Breakfast on a Saturday Morning, and Sunday Afternoon it's a Roast Dinner all FREE of charge and given with LOVE....

Before the Pandemic anyone living alone was invited out Once a Month for the Day to various places of interest, Theatre/Museum/Countryside/Beach etc: they were taken in Coaches and food/drink provided, FREE of charge.

There are Yoga/Tai Chi/Meditation classes, Quiz Nights/Singing Groups and Art Classes FREE of charge to keep their Congregation active and feeling less lonely and isolated, everything has been cancelled for now but help and support is given Via phone calls and Socially Distancing visits. Those who need any shopping are allocated a Personal Helper who does it for them.

This Church is bursting at the seams with love and laughter and they definitely walk in the footsteps of Jesus....
Old 04-10-2020, 02:01 PM
ketzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Now in my Local Area we are lucky to have an Anglican Church who offer a Full English Breakfast on a Saturday Morning, and Sunday Afternoon it's a Roast Dinner all FREE of charge and given with LOVE....

Before the Pandemic anyone living alone was invited out Once a Month for the Day to various places of interest, Theatre/Museum/Countryside/Beach etc: they were taken in Coaches and food/drink provided, FREE of charge.

There are Yoga/Tai Chi/Meditation classes, Quiz Nights/Singing Groups and Art Classes FREE of charge to keep their Congregation active and feeling less lonely and isolated, everything has been cancelled for now but help and support is given Via phone calls and Socially Distancing visits. Those who need any shopping are allocated a Personal Helper who does it for them.

This Church is bursting at the seams with love and laughter and they definitely walk in the footsteps of Jesus....

That sounds quite nice. "Nothin says lovin like sompthin from the oven." And I do love to cook. Perhaps I shall move to England as all that free stuff might sound a bit too much like socialism here in the US.

Yes, there is no reason one cannot ebody "the spirit" in addition to preaching "the word". When you think about it, it makes believing some of those words a whole lot easier, and maybe even helps one to discern between which words ring true, and which sound more like edits added in later on.

Personally, I much prefer the Jesus who comes to my potluck dinner, perhaps giving the elderly neighbor a ride on the way there, than the one who threatens to toss me into a pot of boiling sulfur.

Just my preference, that's all.