Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 07-01-2022, 03:23 AM
Master

Universal energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters

There is clearly a POWER (you call it "universal life energy"; some call it "God"; whatever) inherent in all and this understanding is NOT unique to Reiki. It is common to various wisdom traditions.
Perfect n well said.Other traditions too have such capabilities.
Old 07-01-2022, 01:26 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
Still Waters…..in regards to post #69 without citing your specific wording I must say that you are on target in regards to healing. In multiple instances Jesus said “YOUR faith has healed you”…..He was openly revealing the source of healing never claiming personal recognition.

As usual, you are so on target with that quote from Lord Jesus.
Old 07-01-2022, 02:33 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by HITESH SHAH
Perfect n well said.Other traditions too have such capabilities.

Other traditions most definitely have such capabilities.
Old 08-01-2022, 04:52 AM
Newbie ;)

One of the best ways is to do the third eye meditation ,concentrate on the third eye if you find your mind wanders just bring it back to the third eye,
the more you do it you will find you dont need to concentrate on the eye as much.
Old 08-01-2022, 05:14 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdenn05
One of the best ways is to do the third eye meditation ,concentrate on the third eye if you find your mind wanders just bring it back to the third eye,
the more you do it you will find you dont need to concentrate on the eye as much.
You have raised a very good point.The development of concentration is indeed important.

Some practices start with concentration on the breath (relaxing component as well). If that is not sufficient, a mantra is often added to synchronize with the breath. If that is still not sufficient to facilitate concentration, it is advised to focus on a particular point such as the "third eye" (ajna chakra) for example.

Eventually, as you duly noted, "you don't need to concentrate on the eye as much" or anything else for that matter.
Old 10-01-2022, 01:06 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by A human Being
I think attempting to suppress thoughts is ultimately counter-productive, because it just creates resistance and leads us to feel more contracted, not less.
Besides which, suppression of thought is itself negatively motivated by aversion toward the initial negative thought. This is often dressed up in robes by making the suppressive thought a desirable thought like a mantra, but the adverse (/craven) motive is what defines 'negativity'. The basic idea is to get behind the thought to its underlying motive

In my training we had a thing called 'right effort' which on the surface was to expel negative mind-states and foster positivity, but even the superficial level was nuanced because not liking your negativity is, itself, negativity. It was like more noticing and understanding how generating negative mental states makes you miserable, and thereby recognising the futility.

Next level would be the tendency of generating negativity, which is deeply ingrained. Now conscious of the tendency to repeat the same negativity, it can no longer play out unconsciously. It still plays out under its own momentum, but you understand the futility of indulging it - without any dislike for it whatsoever. Since you are aware and don't perpetuate it, the tendency wanes.

On the other side of the scale, you notice positive mind-states like confidence, compassion, determination etc; recognise these are helpful, energetic and happy, and foster these as tendencies.

Lastly is metta or the primal wish for the happiness of all living things that indiscriminately emanates positivity like warm-heartedness, love, kindness and generosity.
Old 10-01-2022, 01:27 AM
'suppressing of thoughts'

I will counter those ideas with a diff perspective and say not wanting useless, negative, detrimental thoughts
or memories in my head is as easy and 'helpful' as
*turning the channel when I see a gruesome crime scene....click....
Ah, a fun show.

*Or when walking coming close to a smelly trash can and crossing to the other side.
*Or at a pool party when the conversation gets negative or gossipy to say,
"Hey, see ya later they're making pina coladas over there. Bye."

Easy peasy. Am I always happy and content? Finding meditation a joy?
Um, yeah, because of the choices I make. Good ones!!
Inside and outside.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 10-01-2022, 08:39 AM
Master
It's a reflection of yourself. For one person the violence in a movie is an issue, and to another person it isn't. I have multiple swords and I love it.
One person likes the smell of a cooked fish, another doesn't. One person has a poodle, another has a husky. There are many people and paths in this world.

But what you dislike could of course get into conflict with meditation if it arises in your mind. But again, that's all about you, your story.

And there is also the possibility that meditation as a practice isn't for you. That's alright also.

Last edited by Altair : 10-01-2022 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-01-2022, 12:25 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Besides which, suppression of thought is itself negatively motivated by aversion toward the initial negative thought.
Yes, this is an important point - it's just heaping negativity upon negativity, resistance upon resistance. And what you resist, persists, as Jung said. It seems to me in my own experience that to suppress thought is also to suppress feeling, because thought and feeling are two sides of the same coin, and so by suppressing thought, all you're really doing is creating a backlog of suppressed emotion. And that isn't freedom - that's bondage. Anything within ourselves that's unresolved is going to keep us imprisoned, ultimately, as unpalatable as that notion might be to a lot of people.

(And it isn't hard to find evidence of unresolved issues: Do you get triggered by certain people or situations, do you get angered by things that are, in the grand scheme of things, pretty trivial? When you're alone by yourself without attempting to manipulate your experience in any way, do you feel at peace or do you feel irritable, restless, bored, etc.? All these things are indications of unresolved emotions and traumas.)

So the key, as you said, is to just notice the negativity within ourselves without attempting to push it away; it will gradually wane on its own in the absence of inner resistance, as you say.

Last edited by A human Being : 10-01-2022 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-01-2022, 05:55 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by A human Being
So the key, as you said, is to just notice the negativity within ourselves without attempting to push it away; it will gradually wane on its own in the absence of inner resistance, as you say.
Pretty much, and although people want nicer mind-states, and it's good to cultivate them, the tendency of having aversion toward one's negative content and the desire for pleasantness is actually a passive form of self-hatred, so the difference between recognising the futile harmfulness of negativity and being adverse toward it, reflects how transformation arises from sensibility; not from adverse feelings toward parts of yourself which are not nice. It is important because in the purification process there can be rage and horror from a long time ago, and the ability to feel horrible things without the slightest distaste is key to resolution. For most of us, old negativity and trauma starts coming into conscious awareness and we hate it, become agitated, and immediately start going after pleasant distractions, but if you can be still without generating anything and remain undisturbed no matter what happens... that's like a key. I think I'm realistic in saying there is no 'all good', and the ability to take the good with the bad equally is a more practical way of life.

Last edited by Gem : 10-01-2022 at 07:17 PM.