Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Spiritualism

Old 14-12-2011, 05:22 PM
deepsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaere
Bwahahaha! Neville

Old 14-12-2011, 06:31 PM
Serenity Bear

Is it just me, or is it annoying that we Spiritualist have to yet again defend our religion on a metaphysical forum. HUH!

If one wants to know about Spiritualism then go and find out the truth about it for oneself. One reporter called Hanna Swaffer did just that, maybe one should follow his example instead of trying to pull a religion to pieces.
Old 14-12-2011, 06:40 PM
mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsea
'All these women around'?

Hey,hey! Watch it. Us females are usually the brains behind the forums.

Not the way I see the situation....
Old 14-12-2011, 06:48 PM
mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Bear
Is it just me, or is it annoying that we Spiritualist have to yet again defend our religion on a metaphysical forum. HUH!

If one wants to know about Spiritualism then go and find out the truth about it for oneself. One reporter called Hanna (Hannen) Swaffer did just that, maybe one should follow his example instead of trying to pull a religion to pieces.

"Is it just me, or is it annoying that we Spiritualist have to yet again defend our religion on a metaphysical forum?" Well not in this forum as this is the Spiritualism forum (not sure where the 'Metaphysical' forum is but I think there is one somewhere here)

And we're not so much defending Spiritualism as explaining to those who don't have any understanding - lightening their darkness, as it were.

They come looking for enlightenment and a few may stay after they find it - a good enough outcome I reckon!
Old 14-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Neville

I don't know about having to defend spiritualism, Other beliefs go through similar scrutiny, Wicca being one such and indeed Catholicism..Other forms of Christianity. even Islam.. and as far as i can see its all because the examples that bring a a path into disrepute are the ones that stick in peoples minds. The bad apples to be found in every barrel, the rotten grape on every bunch etc
Old 14-12-2011, 08:11 PM
deepsea

[quote=mac]Not the way I see the situation.... [/quote

Now listen here,me old darling......

Come on,girls,help to defend the female sex.
Old 14-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Enya

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre-dawn
These could very well be just reworked Hindu beliefs.

And with all these woman involved I am surprised that at the patriarchal expression of these principles.
I do not see much much difference between them and what e.g. the Catholic Church teaches.
Possibly could... doesn't mean they aren't relevant. There are many beliefs amongst spiritualists, but you'll find a broadly christian morality and understanding there which underpins most things.

With all these women involved... I counted three mentioned in Serenity Bear's post... feeling threatened? (Btw, since the origins are rooted in the Victorian era, a patriarchial expression is to be expected. I want them to change the first principle to read ' We recognise the Fatherhood and Motherhood of God' but we can't always get what we want...)

Catholic church... nah, no guilt-trip, for one thing.
Old 14-12-2011, 08:18 PM
Enya

[quote=deepsea]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Not the way I see the situation.... [/quote

Now listen here,me old darling......

Come on,girls,help to defend the female sex.

Defend? We don' need no defence, sister, we're out there doing the job while the guys nit-pick!!
Old 14-12-2011, 08:47 PM
deepsea

Just got to have a little humour with spirit,they do like to see us happy.
They love to see us laugh.

Thanks for the defence,sisters.

(now where has he disappeared to?)
Old 15-12-2011, 04:13 AM
pre-dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Ah. Oi getcha - just pickin' at bits and pieces, then...
I asked about the basic belief for spiritualism. I am responding to what was offered. One apparently being based on fraud, and the other something quite similar to some other beliefs.

Spiritualism looks to me like a movement that is based on whatever-you-belief plus spirits. What makes it different from whatever-you-belief is the spirits stuff. Since that distinguishes it it is also the most important stuff. Communicating with the dead. Actually listening to the dead because it is mostly a one-way communication, isn't it? The whatever-you-belief can be had in other places, communicating with the living.

Instead of enabling people to cope gracefully with the inevitable end all of us will meet one day spiritualism seems to pander to the attachments, fears and doubts of those who have lost people they loved.

It is like sending the first-aider into the operating theater to perform a heart transplant when one should have focused on delivering a program which would have staved off the heart attack in the first place.