Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Books

Old 05-02-2014, 08:42 PM
MargaritaMc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpastelle
I am reading the first edition of The Peacable Kingdom.

This is the story on how the quakers came about. Bases on true events.

I have read it before and now I am reading it again (I normally never read the same book twice) but this one, is worth it

Who is the author, Kpastelle? I was an Attender at a Quaker meeting for many years when I lived in Britain, and my husband and I got married Quaker style.

We have tried to get a meeting going here, but it's not a Spanish "thing".

Margarita
Old 06-02-2014, 02:23 PM
Kpastelle

The author is Jan De Hartog

I have seen the book especially the first edition sell on line for 386.00$$$ but you can still find it at a fairly reasonable price. I highly recommend it. You won't regret reading this especially if you are part of the quakers. Knowing their history will shed a whole new and very positive light on your perception of them. (of course with time things change but....)
Old 07-02-2014, 01:02 AM
Guide
At the moment I'm reading The Maze Runner series by James Dashner. It's a teen fiction series & it seemed very interesting to me.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:01 AM
MargaritaMc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpastelle
The author is Jan De Hartog

I have seen the book especially the first edition sell on line for 386.00$$$ but you can still find it at a fairly reasonable price. I highly recommend it. You won't regret reading this especially if you are part of the quakers. Knowing their history will shed a whole new and very positive light on your perception of them. (of course with time things change but....)

Thank you! I've just ordered it from Amazon at a total cost (including delivery to Spain) of £7.50ish. But a new copy was on sale for over £100...

We attended the Derby meeting in England, which was one of the earliest meeting buildings, built in the 1800s, I think - and it was a judge in Derby who coined the nickname Quaker. So learning more about the history will be most interesting. They are a splendid group of people and the only religious organisation that I'm happy to consider myself part of.

Margarita
Old 07-02-2014, 06:27 PM
Master
The Sleepwalkers by Arthur Koestler
Old 13-02-2014, 09:39 AM
quietlifenow

the power of now
Old 13-02-2014, 04:37 PM
AstraMaeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medb
I'm finally reading The Mists of Avalon and loving every page of it
I read that years ago - so good! I think it's about time I re-read it.

I'm currently reading "The Gifts of Imperfection" by Brene Brown.
Old 13-02-2014, 10:48 PM
Master
Modern Cartooning by Christopher Hart

and

Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu.

The five colours blind the eye
The five tones deafen the ear
The five flavours dull the taste
Racing and hunting madden the mind
Precious things lead us astray.

Therefore the wise are guided by what they feel and not by what they see
Letting go of that and choosing this.
Old 17-02-2014, 04:53 PM
Suspended
I started to read Astral Travel by Gavin and Yvonne Frost which I inherited a few years ago. Soon realised it's geared for an absolute beginner so it's going in the charity box. And it's got breasts on the front cover. I mean to say - breasts ? Why? To sell of course. Put breasts on the cover of any book and it should sell more than otherwise.

So now I'm reading Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan.

Last edited by Lynn : 22-02-2014 at 05:30 AM.
Old 21-02-2014, 01:01 PM
Master
Bit of a story behind this book. About 4 years ago, I bought de-luxe editions of two books - bound in black leather no less [at least I hope it's leather and not human skin ] One I had heard about - The Necronomicon by Lovecraft - I have tried to read it about seven times to no avail. The other was unknown to me and it just sat on my book shelves beside the Necronomicon. Today, I have just finished reading the 7-book boxset of Game of Thrones and was looking for something to read.
This unread [or is it undead ?] book jumped out at me. It is Lyonesse by Jack Vance, a monster tome with everything I like - maps, geneologies, non-humans, every myth and legend of Dark Age Europe blended with Graeco-Roman history. By the way, in case you didn't know, Lyonesse was also called Avalon and Ys and it was located in the Bay of Biscay, it vanished under the waves around 2000 years ago.

I may not leave my lounge until I have read it all. Fantastic, everything about it ! - the look, the smell, small dense print, very very heavy and over a thousand pages.