Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 14-07-2012, 06:25 PM
TeeHee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Keith
Traditional Christianity and the New Age are somewhat at odds. Christianity is exclusivist, distrustful of many spiritual practices, and enshrines many social norms and ideas that were normal in the 1st century but rather out of place today.

The irony is that what we can determine about the real historical Jesus is actually a much better fit with the New Age. Reconstructions vary considerably, but it's not unlikely that Jesus was more of a mystical, shamanistic sage. His view of God was more like what we might today find in the Kabbalah. His view of himself was much more modest that what his following made it into. His teaching tended to emphasis the living Spirit over the written scripture. His requirement wasn't creedal belief but love and faithfulness to the Spirit of God.

My primary source for Jesus' authentic teachings and practices is my spiritual mentor, Lewis Keizer. For understanding spirituality, Ken Wilber has been a huge influence.

If you have the time Rev. Keith, please share any doctrinal differences between Christianity and New Age, I'd much appreciate it. I find thus far people are pointing at people, and judging Christianity by Christians and New Age by New Agers, but I'd like to understand better the basis of each "religion."

I'm happy to see thus far people engaged in this discussion without bashing, anyways, I'd like to stay away from a Gandhi type approach, "I love your Christ but hate your Christians".... I'm more interested in understanding the differences between doctrine or even New Age philosophy at more meaningful levels..

Such are the examples:

God is...

Bible:
Father
Personal
Only good
Created all things

New Age Thought:
Force
Impersonal
Good and evil
All things

Perhaps you can expound on this a little bit and talk about pantheism, monism, and holism, self-deification ect..
Old 14-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeHee
Some see only similarities, others differences. Some can't see black and white and therefore only see in grey, when black and white distinctions are no longer apparent they appear superficial and fuzzy.

It is easy to see things in such a superficial way. On the surface we can distinguish what appears different or so similar. With only superficial knowledge these differences and similarities are only trivia.
Yes but the differences in doctrines that you want people to see are superficial. People that see in black and white do not understand the world very well. They often see themselves and different than others. The truth is you are the world, there is no separation, only that which exists in your mind. Focusing on doctrines as being so important is often the basis for hate.
Old 14-07-2012, 07:20 PM
TeeHee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf
Yes but the differences in doctrines that you want people to see are superficial. People that see in black and white do not understand the world very well. Focusing on doctrines as being so important is often the basis for hate.

If you have nothing to contribute in way of this discussion you're not helping any Seawolf. To see the doctrinal differences one must have some knowledge or understanding of them. You only point to people as your experience revolves around them. I understand you have gone to the church and experienced a relationship with the members of said church, but I'd appreciate commentary regarding doctrinal differences between Christianity and New Age. I'm more interested in knowing "why I believe". Having said that, take care.
Old 14-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Master

Quote:
If you have nothing to contribute in way of this discussion you're not helping any Seawolf. To see the doctrinal differences one must have some knowledge or understanding of them. You only point to people as your experience revolves around them. I understand you have gone to the church and experienced a relationship with the members of said church, but I'd appreciate commentary regarding doctrinal differences between Christianity and New Age. I'm more interested in knowing why I believe. Having said that, take care.

Doctrinal difference:

Christianity: God hates
New Age: God loves

I appreciate you trying to be cordial, but hate is evident when it exists.
Old 14-07-2012, 07:24 PM
TeeHee

Quote:
Doctrinal difference:

So is an infidel -- Ignore.
Old 14-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Mayflow

Quote:
Doctrinal difference:

Whoa - hold on. God hates? I'm not Christian, but I don't think Christians hate.
Old 14-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Master
Quote:
So is an infidel -- Ignore.

"infidel" A person who does not believe in religion or who adheres to a religion other than one's own.

yep ... this whole site is just crawling with infidels and since you don't adhere to Wicca, Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, etc you're an infidel too, Teehee.

if everyOne put all the infidels of their religion on ignore this site wouldn't be functioning.
Old 14-07-2012, 11:01 PM
Master
I am not really a fan of the New Age nor am I fan of Christianity or any religion. I like the idea of religion as different "cultural backgrounds on how to approach Spirit". But I do believe in Jesus the Christ and God the Supreme Being as reality but not in a religious sense. I feel Jesus as the savior not because of my pastor told me so, nor because the New Age says he was enlightened with Christ Consciousness but because he showed us who we truly are or meant to be and only by following his way, his truth and his life which are the only way, truth, and life can we get out of the mess we put ourselves in or the mess that got us reincarnated to begin with. Of course I believe in what the new age calls "the christ consciousness" but this thing is just a better explanation of the Orthodox Biblical "Holy Spirit". I think I mostly believe we are spirits and we are living in a human experience with a soul and we are on a journey to become heroes or villains depending on our choices and we are helped along the way by angels and guides. And the way for us to become the best soul we can become is by following the Christ who gave up his happiness in heaven to be one of us as an offering in life and death.
Old 14-07-2012, 11:39 PM
TeeHee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amilius777
he showed us who we truly are or meant to be and only by following his way, his truth and his life which are the only way, truth, and life

This is profound. Personally, my thoughts when reading this are illustrated between two sayings, God loves me for who I am, and God loves me despite who I am. The latter suggests that we can change or come to Jesus and grow in Jesus. While it can be viewed negatively, the former often is viewed positively for various reasons of "universal" acceptance of lifestyle or just an unwillingness to change. Basically do we settle or do we not settle -- that is for the best with us?

Hope you don't mind me snatching only a little bit of your post and running with it while rejecting the rest of what is said.

By the way, good to see you, as I haven't seen you around for awhile.
Old 14-07-2012, 11:59 PM
Mayflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amilius777
I am not really a fan of the New Age nor am I fan of Christianity or any religion. I like the idea of religion as different "cultural backgrounds on how to approach Spirit". But I do believe in Jesus the Christ and God the Supreme Being as reality but not in a religious sense. I feel Jesus as the savior not because of my pastor told me so, nor because the New Age says he was enlightened with Christ Consciousness but because he showed us who we truly are or meant to be and only by following his way, his truth and his life which are the only way, truth, and life can we get out of the mess we put ourselves in or the mess that got us reincarnated to begin with. Of course I believe in what the new age calls "the christ consciousness" but this thing is just a better explanation of the Orthodox Biblical "Holy Spirit". I think I mostly believe we are spirits and we are living in a human experience with a soul and we are on a journey to become heroes or villains depending on our choices and we are helped along the way by angels and guides. And the way for us to become the best soul we can become is by following the Christ who gave up his happiness in heaven to be one of us as an offering in life and death.

I don't think Christ gave up his happiness in heaven. Heaven was his haven.