Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 05-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Charliemcsnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvergirl
Hi Louisa. I think this is a beautiful post.

And I like your sigs.

Yes it was, I forgot to comment on it.

Sybilline's was too, got me thinking about how beautiful it would be if we all 100% accepted that we were all on different paths and 100% supported each other on our own paths without thinking each other was 'wrong'. Puts my original question to shame.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Master
Charlie: It was like I became aware of a whole new dimension of existence that until we are 'awake' we do not know exists and we cannot see it. Perhaps it is the vertical dimension.

It was like I had been waking up all my life, but suddenly I was aware I was waking up. It opened a new dimension.

I was suddenly aware of the path I was on, the inner path, which until then was just words that people used and meant nothing real.

Yes... I and others know what you're talking about from our own experience. And our awakenings of various kinds and at different levels are, necessarily, always a surprise.

But who says it's not about enlightenment? I agree with Jyotir... this process of opening, expanding and deepening awareness is ongoing and, gratefully, I see no end to the discoveries of who and what we really are.

Xan

Last edited by Xan : 05-06-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Charliemcsnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan
[/i]
Yes... I and others know what you're talking about from our own experience. And our awakenings of various kinds and at different levels are, necessarily, always a surprise.

But who says it's not about enlightenment? I agree with Jyotir... this process of opening, expanding and deepening awareness is an ongoing process and, gratefully, I see no end to the discoveries of who and what we really are.

Xan

Very interesting! However my awakening wasn't 'enlightenment' as they speak of in buddhism was it? I understand there is probably infinite depth to enlightenment, but with this awakening I didn't lose my occasional anger. I still forget myself, I cannot always find that undercurrent of peace and stillness. I am still in the net of delusion and ignorance.

True enlightenment comes when we escape from the mental prison of delusion, and this is a very definite occurance, is it not?

I know this is only a concept of what enlightenment is, but the way I see it is my awakening started me on the 'final stretch' toward enlightenment, at least that's how it felt. I have no idea how long this final stretch is, could be lifetimes, could just be this life, but it felt like it was a new dawn, the beginning of the end of delusion.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Master
My definition of enlightenment is, the process of experientially discovering our universal true nature, as our own self.

The Buddha was one of the rare few, like Ramana Maharshi, whose enlightenment was sudden and full. For of us we just go along step by step with whatever opening is here, now.

Xan

Old 05-06-2012, 09:38 PM
Charliemcsnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan
My definition of enlightenment is, it's the process of experientially discovering our universal true nature, as our own self.

The Buddha was one of the rare few, like Ramana Maharshi, whose enlightenment was sudden and full. For of us just go along step by step with whatever opening is here, now.

Xan

But was the buddha's enlightenment sudden and full? I don't know too much about him, but he was awake as a child, and despite his father's best efforts, he continually had insights throughout his childhood and early adulthood. Then after a long and gruelling process of trying to find ways to break the net of delusion, he sat down and finally done it through meditation, the style of meditation as he taught it.

Many of the Enlightened few speak about that net, that once it is broken for good, it is broken. But until then, we are still caught, despite how wise or awake we are.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Master
Charlie... Many people have insights in childhood and as adults, and the Buddha had a brief glimpse of true being as a child, but that's not enlightenment... which is why the Buddha left home and went in search of it.

Here's a brief story of his life: http://buddhism.about.com/od/lifeofthebuddha/a/buddhalife.htm

Xan

Old 05-06-2012, 09:56 PM
Charliemcsnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan
Charlie... Many people have insights in childhood and as adults, and the Buddha had a brief glimpse of true being as a child, but that's not enlightenment... which is why the Buddha left home and went in search of it.

Here's a brief story of his life: http://buddhism.about.com/od/lifeofthebuddha/a/buddhalife.htm

Xan

Yes I realize that. And i feel like I have had glimpses of true being. These glimpses may only last a split second, and afterwards all we have is a memory, or a concept, but it is these glimpses that gives us insight and wisdom. But we can't consider ourselves enlightened until these glimpses are no longer glimpses but a constant perfect view of reality. At least that's how I understand it. Am I mistaken?
Old 05-06-2012, 11:56 PM
Master
It does generally begin with glimpses.

But we can't consider ourselves enlightened until these glimpses are no longer glimpses but a constant perfect view of reality. At least that's how I understand it.

Yes, that's one of the signs... continuous awareness in pure beingness as the essence and context of everything.

Another is, you no longer define yourself as enlightened or unenlightened or any particular way at all.

Xan

Old 06-06-2012, 08:17 AM
Charliemcsnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan

Another is, you no longer define yourself as enlightened or unenlightened or any particular way at all.

Xan

Haha, yes of course.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:20 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliemcsnarly
Yes I realize that. And i feel like I have had glimpses of true being. These glimpses may only last a split second, and afterwards all we have is a memory, or a concept, but it is these glimpses that gives us insight and wisdom. But we can't consider ourselves enlightened until these glimpses are no longer glimpses but a constant perfect view of reality. At least that's how I understand it. Am I mistaken?

You say what is as it is, and need no validation, nor require invalidation, so exprct not someone to tell you what the truth is, you are to speak for yourself, and not to be spoken for.