Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 01-05-2021, 01:30 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
[I personally have defined anger as "frustrated desire" which is very consistent with your post.]

Quote:
And I have defined anger as having a ' Hissy Fit ' because I can't have my own way

I hope that you enjoy your "Hissy Fits".
Old 01-05-2021, 01:34 PM
Master
QUOTE 413 EXCERPT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentient
Jhana is no “Awakening” as such, but it is a kind of a ‘half-way-house’ to it imo. because it gives one the experience about how reference points of awareness can *shift* and the whole perceived Reality radically changes with that shift.

That is precisely why my definition of meditation starts with "the art of shifting attention ...... "

Old 01-05-2021, 01:38 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Did Buddha teach that consciousness ends at death or does it continue? Is it immortal?

Buddha himself reportedly stated that "What I teach is like the leaves in my hand; what I know is like the leaves in the forest".

He repeatedly said that all he taught was a way out of suffering and, once one is free of suffering, then assess whether there are any more questions.

In his wisdom, Buddha avoided all metaphysical speculation and creating theological metaphors/myths for the masses.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:59 PM
Quote:
And I have defined anger as having a ' Hissy Fit ' because I can't have my own way
Cute and honest.
But, how cool when our own way is detached, trusting...we can observe knowing whatever happens is ok...
meant to be!
Example may be: our fender got dented in a parking lot...so our path will cross the person at the Auto Body Shop.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 01-05-2021, 05:43 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
Buddha himself reportedly stated that "What I teach is like the leaves in my hand; what I know is like the leaves in the forest".

He repeatedly said that all he taught was a way out of suffering and, once one is free of suffering, then assess whether there are any more questions.

In his wisdom, Buddha avoided all metaphysical speculation and creating theological metaphors/myths for the masses.

I wish that I could upvote this post 1,000 times. Once you are free of suffering (for real) then, let's talk.
Old 01-05-2021, 05:48 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
In Buddhist philosophy consciousness arises together with the senses and what is sensed, hence there is a thing all about 'contact' between consciousness, the senses and the sensed which are interdependent in each other.

Dependent on eye & forms, eye-consciousness arises The meeting of the three is contact. With contact as a requisite condition, there is feeling.

Thanks Gem I looked this up. This relates to dependent origination, which is a very important part of Buddhism. I think it's key that this is penetrated.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipi....018.than.html
Old 01-05-2021, 05:48 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
our own way is detached, trusting...we can observe knowing whatever happens is ok...
meant to be!
Example may be: our fender got dented in a parking lot...so our path will cross the person at the Auto Body Shop.

Nice! ........................
Old 01-05-2021, 05:53 PM
Master

Quote:
Buddha taught different people differently because each person will hear, understand and act differently as the Dhamma is presented hence the ' myriad of varied teachings '. I personally just put aside the one's that confuse me for another time or just forget about them completely and move to another.

This is very wise, sky123. Not ignoring, not pushing aside per se, but just putting aside (like a box of goodies) for another day or time perhaps when it is right.

This also reminds me that there is some quote out there which says that the words of the Buddha fall on everyone differently according to their disposition.

And this is the case with the teachings as well as with the different "schools". My opinion
Old 01-05-2021, 06:47 PM
AbodhiSky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
consciousness, the senses and the sensed which are interdependent

more so to those who have learned or had insights into their true nature, at various stages of enlightenment, they are beginning to see and choose through discernment their independent nature. when the now is truly perceived and experienced as it is, with independence from consciousness, with independence from the past, with independence from mechanical habitual thought, it's an amazing thing!
Old 01-05-2021, 06:58 PM
AbodhiSky

If they say, ‘What is a condition for contact?’ you should answer, ‘Name and form is a condition for contact.’ If they say, ‘What is a condition for name and form?’ you should answer, ‘Consciousness is a condition for name and form.’

Mahānidānasutta - Buddha