Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 22-06-2013, 06:49 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsouller
I have found that also Seawolf. People must do what is right for them because no two paths are the same and I believe that everybody has the right to chose. However I must admit, I struggle with those who claim that their way is the only way.
I understand, and I'm starting to realize it's pretty standard in spiritual groups. I struggle with it because on one hand it's part of their beliefs to have the ultimate truth, but their sense of spiritual superiority can be off-putting. That sense of being right and the intolerance towards different beliefs is just the same old thing repeated everywhere and is frankly dull. I'm interested in things that stand out from the crowd and have some way of dealing with our human instinct to judge and compare ourselves to each other.
Old 22-06-2013, 07:39 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf
I understand, and I'm starting to realize it's pretty standard in spiritual groups. I struggle with it because on one hand it's part of their beliefs to have the ultimate truth, but their sense of spiritual superiority can be off-putting. That sense of being right and the intolerance towards different beliefs is just the same old thing repeated everywhere and is frankly dull. I'm interested in things that stand out from the crowd and have some way of dealing with our human instinct to judge and compare ourselves to each other.
I think this is true with all belief systems, no matter which one they are.
Old 22-06-2013, 01:42 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
I think this is true with all belief systems, no matter which one they are.
I'm inclined to believe they all have a teaching regarding the subject, but it's very hard for humans to follow. In Christianity there's 'judge not', but it gets buried by other teachings. Our western New Age is supposed to be about love and acceptance, yet it's very often critical of Christianity. It's true because we're all human, but we can strive for the divine. To go one day without judging anyone would be quite a feat, but doesn't mean we can't try.
Old 22-06-2013, 03:23 PM
amy green

Question

Quote:
I'm inclined to believe they all have a teaching regarding the subject, but it's very hard for humans to follow. In Christianity there's 'judge not', but it gets buried by other teachings. Our western New Age is supposed to be about love and acceptance, yet it's very often critical of Christianity. It's true because we're all human, but we can strive for the divine. To go one day without judging anyone would be quite a feat, but doesn't mean we can't try.
Maybe some New Agers criticise Christianity because they are more into cultivating the god within? To present a more balanced appraisal here Seawolf, you omitted to say that Christians are often equally very critical of New Agers. Let's be fair about this. There's a difference between someone who purports to be a Christian and one who truly is - only in the latter case is the 'judge not' likely to be obeyed.

I see a difference between judgement and dissing. To see what's there, i.e. discern is not the same as a condemning
value judgement.
Old 22-06-2013, 03:50 PM
Master
Seawolf I really like this ...

quote [ To go one day without judging anyone would be quite a feat, but doesn't mean we can't try.]

Maybe that is why we have such wise sayings :)

Two ears to listen ..one mouth to speak !

And wasn't it ~ Getting thy Rod out of own Eye first :)

Its a journey getting to know our selves past the ego IMO

All The Best
:)

The one thing that can enslave or liberate you is your ...........................thought............................

quote~by Bernard/George

Old 22-06-2013, 04:54 PM
oldsouller

Without tolerance there will always be division between people. Two wrongs don't make a right and a tit for tat approach just keeps people going round in circles. All faiths have had their teething problems. And I'm a firm believer that there is wisdom in most if not all of them. We live in a beautiful world filled with so much to see and do. We have the most wonderful diversity. To live in a world where we were all the same would be like looking at a rainbow that shines with just one colour. That's why it saddens me. I'm all for people being true to themselves and their beliefs and I'm all for following the path you most believe in, but if your faith relies on the tearing down of other peoples then is it really faith. If you believe something to be true then it is and nobody can shake that, not without your consent. People pick apart and tear down and belittle the things they fear and don't understand. I just wish there was a little more tolerance and understanding and that instead of commenting on other peoples piece of paradise they spent more time living and enjoying their own. That is all :)
Old 22-06-2013, 05:51 PM
Master
Pointing fingers at New Agers pointing fingers at Christian who are pointing fingers at New Agers is all still pointing fingers - it's just adding more finger pointers to the increasing growing circle of intolerance and judging Them/Us.

Maybe there's valuable learning in going through a phase of finger pointing, how can we determine if it's right for us or not if we don't experience it?
I too have learned through trying to control others and by judging them....now it all seems mirrors and judging others is intolerance I have for myself within. *shrug* I don't know very much tho - this whole thing seems like one massive experiment on every level!
Old 22-06-2013, 09:13 PM
Master
Quote:
Yes I agree that we need to stop judging, but still, the stupidity of whatever belief system needs to be revealed and up rooted.
Old 22-06-2013, 09:15 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy green
Maybe some New Agers criticise Christianity because they are more into cultivating the god within? To present a more balanced appraisal here Seawolf, you omitted to say that Christians are often equally very critical of New Agers. Let's be fair about this. There's a difference between someone who purports to be a Christian and one who truly is - only in the latter case is the 'judge not' likely to be obeyed.

I see a difference between judgement and dissing. To see what's there, i.e. discern is not the same as a condemning
value judgement.
Well said Amy.
Old 23-06-2013, 02:49 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
Yes I agree that we need to stop judging, but still, the stupidity of whatever belief system needs to be revealed and up rooted.
Calling belief systems stupid is judging. That's kind of the whole point, we judge belief systems that aren't our own, judging people with different belief systems as not being as 'spiritual' as we are. That's just the same old thing we always do and murder each other over it. In a forum we can't kill each other, but we can strike blows with judgmental words.