Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 03-07-2015, 04:32 PM
Master

I think judgement can be used in two ways.
With judgement on oneself, one educates oneself.
Judgement on another I see as interference.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:35 PM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceField
People here are giving judgement a bad rap. The definition of judgement is "the ability to make considered decisions or come to sensible conclusions." Why wouldn't you want to use that?

I think you misunderstood me.

By judgment I mean value judgment, not discernment. Of course, discernment is a valuable tool that we use every day. A value judgment is defined as "an assessment of something as good or bad in terms of one's standards or priorities." Generally value judgments occur in the form of X is good, Y is bad; X is right, Y is wrong.

Discernment is an assessment of healthy functionality, as in "using sound judgment." That's fine. But value judgment manifests outwardly as things like racism, sexism, and discrimination, where one race, sex, or class of people is deemed better than another. Would you want to use that?

It is important to see what thoughts are: They are descriptions of Reality that don't capture Reality. They are fine for making sensible decisions in the world, but they are poor substitutes for God, Truth, the Divine — whatever you want to call it. When we attach to a thought, it is as if we are saying "This concept is preferable to Truth Itself," hence it is a kind of value judgment — one that keeps us caught up in thinking, stress, and suffering.

Thanks for your input.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:39 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serrao
I think judgement can be used in two ways.
With judgement on oneself, one educates oneself.
Judgement on another I see as interference.

It is only interference if the person allows the judgement to affect them in a way which interferes, and even then, it is actually the person being judged who is thinking about and responding to the judgement in a way that causes the problem, not the initial judgement itself. It's important to take responsibility for one's thoughts, emotions, actions, and mind states.

Of course, one must use discernment in offering opinions to others, as some may be less inclined to properly handle the opinion. On the other hand, sometimes it is appropriate to share an inconvenient truth or even to be a bit harsh, depending on the situation.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:21 AM
Master

Quote:
It is only interference if the person allows the judgement to affect them in a way which interferes, and even then, it is actually the person being judged who is thinking about and responding to the judgement in a way that causes the problem, not the initial judgement itself. It's important to take responsibility for one's thoughts, emotions, actions, and mind states.

Of course, one must use discernment in offering opinions to others, as some may be less inclined to properly handle the opinion. On the other hand, sometimes it is appropriate to share an inconvenient truth or even to be a bit harsh, depending on the situation.
I personally try to not even judge in the mildest way.
When judging becomes a habit, in my view, it can develop slowly and unnoticed in a trait of revenge.
One than slowly develops darkness and negative thinking in one's being, which is dangerous for oneself on the long term.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:03 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiInt
Hello people,

I am reading "The power of now" by Eckhart Tolle and its talking about letting your thoughts go. It is also very important while meditating. How do I observe thoughts and just let them go? How do I not get caught in them?

Many years ago, I read that practice is akin to riding a bicycle, to be able to do it, you have to just do it.

In Buddhist terms, samadhi is the concentration/focus that enables you to stay on e.g. the breath, and vipassana is the insight that enables you to see a thought as a thought. SEE the thought, not think the thought.

It is like a flashlight, the flashlight needs to be held in a steady manner before you can see what is in the cave.

Meditation and other methods help you cultivate the ability to genuinely (note the word genuinely) see and then transcend thought.

In my very limited experience, there are moments of no thought, and this is not through suppression, but through the natural manifestation of a genuine practice.

Good luck in your search.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:17 AM
MeditativeWriter

Quote:
Hello people,

I am reading "The power of now" by Eckhart Tolle and its talking about letting your thoughts go. It is also very important while meditating. How do I observe thoughts and just let them go? How do I not get caught in them?

If i am allowed, I would like to notice this is a question that hides a trap.. when searching for a "how to", a guide, things are dangerous..

you ask for a method in order to free yourself of thoughts. A method implies thought, so it's a question of "how can thought free myself from thought" which is contradictory..

..unless this "how to" has nothing to do with a method.. i would say passive awareness is necessary for observing thoughts, but i would add this movement is not a movement of will. Don't know how exactly to point that in order to make sense.. a few clues.. it includes no judgement, no expectations (for example to free myself from thought), no choice, it even doesn't include use of words. You need to discover on your own. Hopefully this gives a new idea.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:48 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeditativeWriter

you ask for a method in order to free yourself of thoughts. A method implies thought, so it's a question of "how can thought free myself from thought" which is contradictory..

Not necessarily. Another similar example- the foundation of the Buddhist path is to use that which is conditioned to reach the unconditioned. There are ways of thinking which calm the mind and lead to peace and silence, and there are ways of thinking which agitate the mind and lead to further mental chatter.

Quote:
..unless this "how to" has nothing to do with a method.. i would say passive awareness is necessary for observing thoughts, but i would add this movement is not a movement of will. Don't know how exactly to point that in order to make sense.. a few clues.. it includes no judgement, no expectations (for example to free myself from thought), no choice, it even doesn't include use of words. You need to discover on your own. Hopefully this gives a new idea.

Will is the driving force behind action. Without will, there is no action. If there was no will involved with a particular way of focusing the mind, then the mind wouldn't be focused in that way. Even if it's simply letting go, there must be the choice made to let go, and then it is the will that carries out that choice.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:53 AM
twoheadeddog

Quote:
How do I observe thoughts and just let them go? How do I not get caught in them?
Mainly just practice in my experience. The more you meditate the better you get. At first it's hard because you're not used to it, but after awhile it gets easier. The mind changes and you'll notice you're calmer and more aware.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:35 PM
MeditativeWriter

Quote:
Will is the driving force behind action. Without will, there is no action. If there was no will involved with a particular way of focusing the mind, then the mind wouldn't be focused in that way. Even if it's simply letting go, there must be the choice made to let go, and then it is the will that carries out that choice.

Will in the sense of effort, goal, purpose, concentration, focusing.. probably will is not the right word. I feel All these (effort, concentration) can't bring genuine peace of mind..

..I agree that in a superficial level some cunning thoughts like "focus on your breath" can make you calm, relaxed for a few hours, but this repeatitive procedure, after a long period of time makes the mind numb/dull. It's a subtle method to stop thought, actually it is thought that delicately suppress thought, but in the deeper levels thought still burns and this can't be good. I doubt whether meditation has to do with that!

I don't want to convince anybody, i just wanted to share this message.. if you wish you can explore it!
Old 06-07-2015, 09:10 PM
Master
I know the question is how to observe and let go of them, thoughts, but it seems to me that this in itself isn't the whole answer because, from what I've seen over time, is that even in the suppression of thought we kinda get to realising how useless most of it actually is and that then plays back into life as more stillness to what actually is available to us within any given moment.

So in that respect it isn't really about the thought at all as it is about being observant, which I know is pretty pedantic, but in just being observant we realise life pretty much goes on regardless and the underlying belief that thought controls things just kinda falls away as we sit more peacefully in whatever occurs.