Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 05-05-2024, 09:15 PM
Administrator
Can we really be free of Desires I don't think we can. we all want something it is very rare for someone to say that they are happy with their Lot
But it all depends on what the desire is.
I would like to see World peace but to Achieve it it takes more than one person to do it

Namaste
Old 06-05-2024, 03:09 PM
Ascender
Thank you guys for your care _/\_ It's lovely to be taken care of. Seems like different people have different philosophies regarding desires.

@Altair I think people have transcended time, e.g. achieving liberation/moksha, so yes it's possible if that's what you want. I personally like time but that's just me.
Old 06-05-2024, 03:52 PM
Ascender
@Altair

> Perhaps it is not desire or attachment that is the real ''cause'' of suffering, but simply time itself.

But why would one find time to be cold and a stealer if one isn't attached? So maybe the combination of attachment and time is the cause?
Old 06-05-2024, 07:24 PM
Master
EXCERPT POST 21:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native spirit
Can we really be free of Desires I don't think we can. we all want something
My understanding is consistent with what you just wrote.

As I posted in another thread, the subject of desireless has been a discussion topic that has evoked a wide range of opinions.

The Sufi Mystic Hazrat Inayat Khan stated his insight into the subject of desirelessness:

"If you tell yourself that you do not desire anything, you go back !This whole creation is the result of desire. The purpose of creation, therefore, must be the fulfillment of this desire."
Old 08-05-2024, 05:47 AM
Master
I think when desire becomes ‘clinging too’ it can keep spiralling you in circles. If it’s a clear desire without attachment to ‘outcomes’ then your desire is less about needing to have and more about desire that is a natural spontaneous creative movement seeking to create a healthy passionate life. If the mind keeps activating the desire, moving a little deeper you might explore what your drivers are. Are they healthy drivers, normal human drivers? Lots you can explore through the deeper elements of desire. Freeing up desire, you’ll soon notice why it’s there. Why it’s made you investigate you in its arising. You might feel aversion or judgement, you might not want it there. It may have arisen for you to let go of the feelings containing it..

When you live more with what is, you live more with all of you as you are. Somethings you might love inside you, , somethings you might have an aversion too. Run from. When we feel things are ‘bad’ or we don’t want them, we move away from living more present in each moment, noticing, observing and letting go of things in us, seeking our attention.

Most often I’ve found desires, bring you back to yourself more clear and open, if you source the root cause. My movements through life without desire, means I’m aware my desires are seeking change or no change. Life, in me, moves more connected and engaged allowing life to play out through this state of being. My movements when clear are not controlling myself or life outside me, but lettjng life reveal to me, things I might otherwise miss, by desiring something else.

I live by this lovely saying.

‘Be the change you wish to see’
Old 08-05-2024, 08:09 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
"If you tell yourself that you do not desire anything, you go back ...."
the problem is like with all assertions concerning the proper way of life: if you are telling yourself that you don't desire things you most likely have the desire for THAT to be so (without even realizing what you've done) so you've killed your flower from the start.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
desire sounds good, lack of desire sounds good, but the real problem as I see it is that the specific desires we've chosen to agree upon as a people and that we won't give up on under any circumstances.... are kinda like a disease that keeps us sick and leads us to death. But we are quite in awe of our own cleverness and don't see it that way at all, we see what we've chosen as 'good' and 'proper' and 'valuable' and other nice things we can name for ourselves.
Old 08-05-2024, 09:02 PM
Master
I know I'm not the only male here with the desire for relationship. I like sex and intimacy and I want that with a special someone for the rest of my life. I do not believe the end goal is cessation of all desire but instead we are here to experience the universe in all its many facets and every soul is a storyteller and that's your job, and with it you enrich God. That every story we create is temporary does not mean it is useless or meaningless.

I've listened to far too many NDE accounts and these are people that had direct connections with that other world, and the returning message is not one where the goal is to feel absolutely nothing and care about nothing but the message is one where love, growth, and experiences matter. Cessation of desire is IMO not good, unless the desire leads to bad health (tobacco, junkfood etc.). That things we enjoy are temporary is also not an excuse to avoid them. I was attached to my dog, he eventually died. But so what, I have good memories. That desires and attachments may lead to sorrow is not an excuse to avoid them.
Old 09-05-2024, 12:52 AM
Nice post, Altair.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 09-05-2024, 03:17 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingLeaves
the problem is like with all assertions concerning the proper way of life: if you are telling yourself that you don't desire things you most likely have the desire for THAT to be so (without even realizing what you've done) so you've killed your flower from the start.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------s.

I think there are many viewing windows within the whole consciousness stream, so yearnings and desires sit right where you reside as the one looking in where you sit. Is it the total picture of you? The total picture of you is your total life with infinite possibilities to manifest and realise. So while we might desire something where we ‘do not have and want’ it creates an unfolding where you begin to see that even as you want and desire, life within the total stream has its own plan laid out as those infinite possibilities. So desire can bring to you what you desire, but the bigger picture of you and life, might bring to you much more than your intended desire, believes you need and for what reason. People generally lay down a desire as an example to find peace and happiness, or a loving partner and sex. To reach that peace, you might find yourself in total chaos and craziness. You might receive a loving partner and great sex but what comes with this, is the whole person. So you might find the loving partner turns her shadow side into the she devil abd you wished you’d never desired that outcome.

Yearning and desiring is fine, but acceptance of everything that comes with it, often becomes the challenge and sometimes people only have their eye on the desire and forget the rest. Ultimately as a totality of creation everything within one’s desire often lands in your lap.
Old 09-05-2024, 09:49 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
That desires and attachments may lead to sorrow is not an excuse to avoid them.
That's right.