Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 25-05-2014, 02:08 PM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6r6r
Blanket = generalization = steroetype = least refined(?).
r6

It's how semiotics work(s). You start with a name (for something) - generalisation,
add adjectives or further names (nouns), phrases and so on, to refine the concept.

Each forum title is a generalisation, a stereotype. And it's refined by it's list of topics. And on.... IMHO.

Old 25-05-2014, 02:12 PM
Master
Quote:
Sure we know what is meant, however, that is a relative truth.
The sun does not rise or set.
Yes of course, but in this case and for the sake of simplification, "The sun rises in the east" can be used to demonstrate the difference between an undeniable fact versus someone's opinion. It's not any more complicated than that.
Old 25-05-2014, 02:19 PM
Suspended
Quote:
...The sun does not rise or set...
That's a matter of perspective. From my perspective it does. From another perspective it doesn't.

You are free to insist your perspective is right and anothers is wrong, but what that really says is your opinion of your perspective over others - and your perspective is right by your perspective, of course.
Old 25-05-2014, 02:20 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyTerra
I (likewise) think we should try to avoid the all too human tendency to use blanket statements.
Yes. Points of discussion become tangled in inarguable rhetoric when people back up their claims with broad generalizations such as "This is the way people think" and so forth.
Old 25-05-2014, 02:40 PM
DJ716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touched
In my experience we all pursue spirituality out of an urge to express who we really are, discover and manifest the essence of our Being. By definition, 'Spirit' is the fundamental essence of something, and so religious and spiritual pursuit is the pursuit of finding that essence. There may be many things that turn us down that path, many diverse thoughts, feelings, or circumstances, and there are of course many diverse ways of expression within us, but to me this is the fundamental issue.

Some will say, myself being one of those, that we never 'turn down that path' yet by being alive we are on that path.

Yet in my mind I distinguish 'religious' pursuits from 'spiritual' pursuits. Religious pursuits are those relating to a particular dogma and spiritual relating to your own sense of connection to what's going on at the core of your being.

Quote:
This is why these people tend to measure everyone else so easily against the yard-stick of their own perspective - and thinking themselves 'better' than others is just an egoic defense to perpetuate their delusions.

This yard-stick you refer to, in my mind, is the dogma of religion. I believe that taking spirituality and wrapping it up in a dogma and using it to appraise the rest of the world is religion.

Is it spirituality? not necessarily but, it may involve and/or relate to spirituality. Is it beneficial for ones spiritual growth? I say that it all depends on the individual.

The Catholic church is probably one of the top powers in the world today. It has become such an influence over the decisions that people make and (and this is another very long topic to tackle outside of this discussion) over the law such that criminal acts within it's on organization can go untouched. For me, it is of no consequence. I was and will never be a Catholic. For many others, it may be a very destructive influence... and for some others it may be a very powerful path of spiritual growth. In any case, the organization, politics, and dogma involved are not spiritual, but religion.

At least this is how I see it.
Old 25-05-2014, 02:43 PM
DJ716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baile
Yes. Points of discussion become tangled in inarguable rhetoric when people back up their claims with broad generalizations such as "This is the way people think" and so forth.

I agree as well. My statements appear to be blanket statements, generalizations, or even directed at others on here because I am lazy and don't take the time to clarify.
Old 25-05-2014, 03:08 PM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ716
Some will say, myself being one of those, that we never 'turn down that path' yet by being alive we are on that path.
I'd say that is a very spiritual perspective.

Quote:
Yet in my mind I distinguish 'religious' pursuits from 'spiritual' pursuits. Religious pursuits are those relating to a particular dogma and spiritual relating to your own sense of connection to what's going on at the core of your being.
I agree completely.

Quote:
This yard-stick you refer to, in my mind, is the dogma of religion. I believe that taking spirituality and wrapping it up in a dogma and using it to appraise the rest of the world is religion.
Again, I agree completely. IMO, religion, by any name, even if someone calls it 'spirituality' or 'New Age' is still religion, IMO. At the same time, true spiritual practice, even if practiced under the auspices and name of religion, is still spiritual if it meets the criteria.

The thing is to not get hooked on the name of what you are doing, but rather the essence.
Old 25-05-2014, 03:24 PM
Lorelyen

Quote:

Perhaps they shouldn't discuss.....
Quote:
That's not a wrong statement, that's their belief. Whereas "The sun rises in the west" is a wrong statement. It's really quite easy as I see it. One can:

1. State their opinion.
2. Tell someone they're wrong.
3. Accuse someone of being ignorant.

If people simply stuck to the first option, there would be no need for moderators on these internet forums.

Yes?

On one end of the scale there's precision, a mathematical model. On the other there are broad generalisations. In this line (spirituality) opinion and/or discussion will fall between the two. In topics like this, humans are dogged by the imprecision of words. Logic is sometimes possible if the premises are valid.

In fact, if everyone followed your option one, the discussion would stop here.
Old 25-05-2014, 03:40 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touched
Is that what I said Lylith, or is that what you heard?

I call it as I see it.
That's how you were coming across.
If you dislike how people perceive you, perhaps you should look in the mirror and ask yourself what it is about how you come across that rubs people the wrong way.
You said religious people don't ascend to enlightenment. We do. It's called doing the right thing, helping people and not being an all round mean person. Make all that you do worthy.
Old 25-05-2014, 03:42 PM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyth Von Gore
You said religious people don't ascend to enlightenment.
Please point to where I said that.