Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 17-06-2012, 01:42 PM
ciel_perdu

I'm not so sure that rolling on the ground in an emotional mess, necessarily means one has the Holy Spirit. I am sure that it does happen, but I also know that a LOT of Christians seem to confuse God's spirit with simple emotionalism.

With regards to warm and nice people, again, I don't really know if this is a 'trademark' of a Christian. There are hundreds and thousands of groups out there with 'warm and nice' people in them.

People talk about how nice it is to be with these groups for the short time that they are together on the Sunday or whatever day it happens to be. I am sure it is, but put those same people under the same roof where they live together seven days a week, 24 hours a day, and then find out how 'warm and nice' they are.

The early disciples lived together and shared all things in common. Their living together demonstrated God's kingdom.

I wonder what would happen if Christians in today's world would come back to living in community? Perhaps then, we would once again 'turn the world upside down'.
Old 17-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Master
Ciel I am hearing you but we are going to be spending eternity together so we sure will get plenty of practice then.
Old 17-06-2012, 04:13 PM
ciel_perdu

Hey Lightworker,

I can appreciate your comment. However, we are supposed to be living out the Kingdom of Heaven here and now. Jesus showed this with his disciples, and the disciples carried on living together sharing all things in common after his ascension.

I think we need to ask ourselves WHY aren't Christians living together? Why even amongst individual churches do Christians rarely spend much more than a few hours with each other a week? Why aren't will sharing all things in common, i.e. no man calling anything his own? Why aren't we forsaking all our possessions, our lands etc, and sharing the proceeds amongst the christian community to do the work of God?

Granted we will be learning to live and love together for eternity, but I wonder if we aren't seeking to do these things now, how much we really would WANT to be in heaven?
Old 17-06-2012, 05:38 PM
Master
That was a heartwarming opening post, Light. God bless you.

Well, today we had trouble getting it together for our 9:00 Lutheran service.

So, my wife being from a Catholic background wanted to go to the 10:30 Catholic service.
When we got there it looked overwhelmingly crowded, but, she wanted to go in.
I sat in the car on a beautifully sunny morning, and pondered their cross, nearby. I saw nice looking people coming and going all around, and listening to Christian contemporary music in the car, got a little emotional myself, considering His love.

Among the songs played on the radio, was this one, which I thought represents a typical Full Gospel Service.
"Our God is an Awsome God."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0v54YPsAyY&feature=related

My wife came out with joy and a smile, and it is a great morning.

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein
Old 18-06-2012, 12:56 AM
Sybilline

Thank goodness i have not been treated that way, at least not by people who matter. I grew up in an Adventist community and sometimes I still visit my Adventist cousins, my Uncle is the President of one Adventist community here in my country so they are very devoted, but they are still very warm, though they know my mother is a Catholic (but she does not practice it anymore), must be because we're still family :)
Old 18-06-2012, 02:07 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-word
I have been into some of the charismatic churches, where they all wrf keao ap eaant to hug you and it makes my skin crawl. I swear that I can smell the pompous. pious self righteousness oozing from their pours.

Aww c'mon everyone needs a hug..

I am so glad I don't go you your churches.

Seriously, some churches I go to some of the people are fake enough to make a Barbie doll jealous.

You need to just accept them for who they are and go to that church with the genuine people who care about you and the community they are in. We shouldn't assume all people are the same.

Last edited by Lightspirit : 18-06-2012 at 03:25 AM.
Old 18-06-2012, 02:15 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybilline
Thank goodness i have not been treated that way, at least not by people who matter. I grew up in an Adventist community and sometimes I still visit my Adventist cousins, my Uncle is the President of one Adventist community here in my country so they are very devoted, but they are still very warm, though they know my mother is a Catholic (but she does not practice it anymore), must be because we're still family :)
I was an Adventist for over 16 years, yes they are beautiful people but they don't like to see you leave their church, they pray for you and carry on about the devil leading you astray, not very good for someone who thinks for themselves.
Old 18-06-2012, 03:29 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
That was a heartwarming opening post, Light. God bless you.

Well, today we had trouble getting it together for our 9:00 Lutheran service.

So, my wife being from a Catholic background wanted to go to the 10:30 Catholic service.
When we got there it looked overwhelmingly crowded, but, she wanted to go in.
I sat in the car on a beautifully sunny morning, and pondered their cross, nearby. I saw nice looking people coming and going all around, and listening to Christian contemporary music in the car, got a little emotional myself, considering His love.

Among the songs played on the radio, was this one, which I thought represents a typical Full Gospel Service.
"Our God is an Awsome God."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0v54YPsAyY&feature=related

My wife came out with joy and a smile, and it is a great morning.
I am glad you liked it, positives are much better to read and often we see only the negatives enshrouded in the much larger positives. i just had a good time and it sounds like you did too.

God is great and we are blessed to be a part of it.
Old 18-06-2012, 03:49 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciel_perdu
Hey Lightworker,

I can appreciate your comment. However, we are supposed to be living out the Kingdom of Heaven here and now. Jesus showed this with his disciples, and the disciples carried on living together sharing all things in common after his ascension.

I think we need to ask ourselves WHY aren't Christians living together? Why even amongst individual churches do Christians rarely spend much more than a few hours with each other a week? Why aren't will sharing all things in common, i.e. no man calling anything his own? Why aren't we forsaking all our possessions, our lands etc, and sharing the proceeds amongst the christian community to do the work of God?

Granted we will be learning to live and love together for eternity, but I wonder if we aren't seeking to do these things now, how much we really would WANT to be in heaven?

In the days of the early church there wasn't government social security like now so sharing stuff was being done in place of that. They were helping the poorer believers and funding trips to other places to take the message. we do that now via our churches and jobs.

Paul worked for a living as did others and maybe if they were busy working things might be like they are now to some degree.

If we are the kingdom of God as believers we are more effective in the world not segregated from it.

Have you noticed when people get into niche groups they tend to be more critical of outsiders and get really complacent and comfortable in a set of regular friend and surroundings. They also forget how to be a part of whats going on outside the group and become less effective at communicating with outsiders.

I'll show you what I mean.

Luke 18:6

"No one lights a lamp and hides it in a jar or puts it under a bed. Instead, he puts it on a stand, so that those who come in can see the light.

In many ways the more we go by ourselves the more we are forced into one on one relationship with God. When we come together we support each other until next time we meet.
Old 18-06-2012, 04:03 PM
ciel_perdu

lightworkerAu
Quote:
In the days of the early church there wasn't government social security like now so sharing stuff was being done in place of that.

I disagree. 'Sharing stuff' was done because that's what Jesus taught, it's what the Kingdom of Heaven is all about. There certainly was government back in that day.

Quote:
They were helping the poorer believers and funding trips to other places to take the message. we do that now via our churches and jobs.

The disciples were living together 24/7, sharing all things in common. Yes, that meant that he who had less had the same as he who had more, because they shared it all. As for 'going into all the world to preach the gospel', that is something that Jesus taught ALL of his followers to do.

I don't see anywhere in Jesus' teachings that we should work in jobs and support missionaries. I actually see him say the opposite, i.e. ''forsake everything, come follow me, and I will make you fishers of men!''.

Quote:
Paul worked for a living as did others and maybe if they were busy working things might be like they are now to some degree.

It says Paul made tents with Priscilla and Aquilla for some time, however, when Timothy and Silus found him, Paul says he was pricked in the spirit, and from that time on preached the gospel both night and day. He was 'pricked' in the spirit because he wasn't doing what God wanted him to be doing. One wonders how he was able to hold down a full time or even part time job with all the traveling he did. Anyway, regardless of what Paul DID, we have to look at what Christ TAUGHT.
Quote:
If we are the kingdom of God as believers we are more effective in the world not segregated from it.

Jesus said, ''be in the world, but not of it''. What did he mean? Certainly the disciple forsaking their families, their possessions, their lands, their jobs, and living together, sharing all things in common, and preaching the gospel in all the world, certainly is not OF the world. Wouldn't you agree? However, they most certainly were IN the world. They hung out with the publicans and harlots, they partied with the best of the at the wedding in Cana, they continued to probably interface with the system from time to time. However, they certainly were not OF the world.

Jesus called us to follow him, and we are exhorted to 'come out of Babylon'. Jesus certainly set apart his followers from the world. Can you see how one can be IN the world and effective but not OF the world? Jesus did it, his disciples did it, and I am just saying that we can to.

Quote:
Luke 18:6

"No one lights a lamp and hides it in a jar or puts it under a bed. Instead, he puts it on a stand, so that those who come in can see the light.

In many ways the more we go by ourselves the more we are forced into one on one relationship with God. When we come together we support each other until next time we meet.

There is some truth in being able to develop a more one on one relationship with God by being by ourselves, however, Jesus did teach for us to be one, he did teach that where two or three are gathered in his name there he would be, he did teach that when two or three of us agree on something then we will have it, he obviously lived with his disciples, the disciples continued this practice, and we are exhorted in Hebrews to ''Not forsake the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is, especially as we see that day (the return of Christ) approaching''.

Considering the overall context of Jesus' life, his teachings, and the disciples lives, and how they lived, it becomes quite difficult to argue against living in community. However, it's true, Jesus never specifically REQUIRED it, so the question is not whether living in community is a requirement for salvation, but rather would living in community make one a better Christian?

All of our spiritual walks are personal roads that we walk alone, and that is still true when we are living in community.

Again, I can appreciate the thought that being alone can increase our one on one connection with God, however, I really don't think that that is the honest reason why most Christians or spiritual people reject living in community.