Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 23-12-2011, 04:57 PM
Occultist

The part that confuses me about Prayer by a Christian is they believe God knows all. So if he knows all why do they need to ask?
If they ask for something that doesnt happen was it not Gods will for that to happen? If God's will is involved then what chance do you have in getting a prayer answerd. To me it goes in circles of insanity. Please understand this is a outsiders prospective looking in. so this concept is very foriegn to me and very confusing.
Old 24-12-2011, 12:39 AM
Etu Malku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occultist
The part that confuses me about Prayer by a Christian is they believe God knows all. So if he knows all why do they need to ask?
If they ask for something that doesnt happen was it not Gods will for that to happen? If God's will is involved then what chance do you have in getting a prayer answerd. To me it goes in circles of insanity. Please understand this is a outsiders prospective looking in. so this concept is very foriegn to me and very confusing.
Simply because these Christians don't have a clue as to how prayer works. Like I posted earlier, it has become mindless rote recitation, the essence behind it has been lost, the neuro linguistic properties no longer exist and the prayer does not work.

Prayer is a form of trance induction and neuro linguistic programming, it evolved out of mantra which is the translation of the human will or desire into a form of action, used to attain single-pointedness of mind.
Old 24-12-2011, 02:37 AM
Vey

Quote:

I can totally understand this viewpoint. As a Christian myself (though a lot of things I believe and accept as truths, many modern day Christians would probably get knocked off their feet and point the heretical finger...but it just takes an open mind to have it all make sense, tbh heh), it makes sense that one would wonder why an all-knowing God would need to hear a prayer to do something. Well, as I see it, our Source doesn't need per say to hear it, it's more of a mutual relationship thing.

But the way I see God is one of being basically...extradimensional and existing beyond, yet throughout time and dimensional existence. That phrase just confused even me, so it wouldnt surprise me if it doesnt make sense; so if I need to clarify, I'll be glad to try heh.

So! Prayer to me exists as a way to bring the ideas of mental visualization and spiritual expansion together with a type of communication. Not really a method to get things done the way one hopes it to be done, but more or less a way to grow and to...appreciate the finer aspects of the spirit and consciousness, and as per my Christian faith, to additionally express love towards my Lord.
Old 24-12-2011, 03:59 AM
Opening to the darkness (or the shadows) -
gives life to the darkness.

Always look to the Light.
Ignore the darkness...

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 24-12-2011, 04:08 AM
Mayflow

Prayer is a interior wish to make something happen in your own heart. Done fervently, it can move mountains, but it is wise to choose which mountains to move. As Jesus said you can move mountains and camels can go through the eye of a needle, and as Buddha said we are what we think, with our thoughts we create the world. Prayer can be exceedingly powerful, but it is important to be careful of what you pray for.
Old 24-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Occultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Opening to the darkness (or the shadows) -
gives life to the darkness.

Always look to the Light.
Ignore the darkness...

Okay I have no clue what this means or how it regards prayer. Now I am even more confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etu Malku
Simply because these Christians don't have a clue as to how prayer works. Like I posted earlier, it has become mindless rote recitation, the essence behind it has been lost, the neuro linguistic properties no longer exist and the prayer does not work.

Prayer is a form of trance induction and neuro linguistic programming, it evolved out of mantra which is the translation of the human will or desire into a form of action, used to attain single-pointedness of mind.

But the majority of Christians I met believe that chanting or meditation can let the devil in.
So where did they loose the meaning of prayer and make it into "I want" you to heal my <blank>
I want a <blank>
Or when country music people say they prayed to God for his love and grace in getting the <Award>
Rappers the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vey
I can totally understand this viewpoint. As a Christian myself (though a lot of things I believe and accept as truths, many modern day Christians would probably get knocked off their feet and point the heretical finger...but it just takes an open mind to have it all make sense, tbh heh), it makes sense that one would wonder why an all-knowing God would need to hear a prayer to do something. Well, as I see it, our Source doesn't need per say to hear it, it's more of a mutual relationship thing.

But the way I see God is one of being basically...extradimensional and existing beyond, yet throughout time and dimensional existence. That phrase just confused even me, so it wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't make sense; so if I need to clarify, I'll be glad to try heh.

So! Prayer to me exists as a way to bring the ideas of mental visualization and spiritual expansion together with a type of communication. Not really a method to get things done the way one hopes it to be done, but more or less a way to grow and to...appreciate the finer aspects of the spirit and consciousness, and as per my Christian faith, to additionally express love towards my Lord.

So prayer itself really has nothing to do with asking God for a new car? Its hearing yourself ask for it that manifests itself in a way? Sorry I am trying to strip it down to understand what you mean.

Thank you for all your answers.. Just trying to understand every angle I guess and I am still sort of confused..
Old 24-12-2011, 11:30 AM
Vey

Quote:
So prayer itself really has nothing to do with asking God for a new car? Its hearing yourself ask for it that manifests itself in a way? Sorry I am trying to strip it down to understand what you mean.

Thank you for all your answers.. Just trying to understand every angle I guess and I am still sort of confused..

Firstly, you don't have to apologize for trying to understand something, that's what questions and answers are meant for after all :)

Additionally, many things that I hold as truth will probably differ from many other Christians of this day and age (such as chakras and crystals and spiritualism in general, specifics you can pm me if you wish heh). However I value this; I feel that as I have sought this truth over the course of my journey, rather than blindly accepting it because, for example, my family believes it or because I was simply told, that it just feels of truth, so to speak.

As such, prayer can technically be asking for that new car, or getting a new good job, etc. however, things of such materialistic value aren't all that important in the general scheme of things, as per the means of asking the most High Lord of the universe for, lol. So in a general view, I see prayer a means of obtaining wisdom, or to simply connect with our Source, to "become" more, spiritually; to give adoration, to show love to the wonderful Absolute, for instance, as well is a great thing. After all, "the greatest of these is Love," so what better thing to pray about?

This topic is a very deep and broad one, so to sum it up in a few forum posts can be challenging; so, until we can have a clear-cut anecdote that symbolically wraps it all up, I'll just try my best to explain my personal stance
Old 24-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Bluegreen

"Praying is hard work and very few people do any," says Joan Grant. In essence it is only shifting levels, she points out.

"Mumbling words in church is not praying, nor is asking for grace to save yourself the trouble of curing yourself."

In response to the comment about cars: I think that we visualize when we are praying. The mind forms a picture of what we want to materialize. Didn't Cayce say that mind is the builder?
Old 24-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Occultist

Thank you guys. I really am starting to see the meaning of prayer its its related power to wisdom.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:31 AM
res

This an interesting thread as predicted.

Is "prayer" a word created by the new religion as part of the god system? I understand the idea of putting forth intent to build change but does the actual word "prayer" relate to putting forth intent with emphasis on leaving it in the hands of their god in hopes that god may grant your wishes?

Id imagine that people all through the ages have concentrated their intent and in different ways and called it by many different names. Witches put together spells, voodoo paractitioners use their dolls and for me i feel that every thought that i put in to a reiki session is a form intent also.

I cant say if this is the truth but i had an insight into understanding the prayer hands as used in the new religion. During a prayer i was making while working with a christian esoteric cirlce i seen the thoughts in the form of energy exiting my hands through the palms. Because the palms were together the energy is blocked and is then sent out through the fingers by default. The pray hands point up and sends the energy above to where we are told god resides. Therefore the power to build the change is taken away from us and passed on to gods judgement.
It seems that directing intent with open palms is reserved for those of the priesthood. May be why we were taught not to point the finger in anger as it may resemble an athame and personal empowerment.

Is "Prayer" a religious term created to describe the process used in the new religion or was it around before the system started?