Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 26-08-2016, 10:56 AM
Deactivated Account
This is a wonderful thread, one of the best and most original I've read in a while. Thanks everyone for sharing.
Old 26-08-2016, 11:12 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman
The beauty in growing older is that you might have a deeper relationship with your self later in life that was not available to you in your younger years; but that deeper relationship is not automatic, it comes only from comprehensive self examination in previous years. It comes from looking back on your own ignorance and unconsciousness and recognizing it as such.

This is also true of spiritual development and meditation; the pay-off comes with practice. I have been doing silent meditation for more than 40-years and I am in awe of what has developed in me from doing such. Too simple for elaboration but definitely very dynamic. I could not appreciate this experience until I had actually acquired it. Of course for some profound intrinsic transformation can come in a flash but for me it has been gradual.

For me the journey is the destination as any goal set is but a way station towards something greater. The process of aging allows us to better let go as our physical body pulls away from us. Slowing down inside and out serves a valuable purpose as the saying goes “Be still and know that I am God.” There are many who find peace boring but I find a profound fullness in inner peace; what some call inner silence.

I am very grateful for the longevity which I have been given in this life and could have never imagined what being 70-years old would be like for me. when I was younger I saw a lot of bitter “old” people who seem to have a distain for life, and wondered if I would be that cranky in my later years. But not all “older” persons are cranky or bitter; many immensely enjoy their waning years. An enjoyment which might be unimaginable to most in their youth; as things often do not turn out as we imagine. Although there are many who are young in physical years but more mature on the inner levels. They possess profound wisdom before age-10. Thus the saying “out of the mouth of babes.” Young and old are nebulous designations.

Along the way I have heard lots of people say that “age is just a number” or that “we are not our physical body,” etc., true as this may be nonetheless our physical body definitely plays an important role in our spiritual development. It is my belief that we are in fact given a physical body so that we can spiritually develop; in my opinion human life is an opportunity to expand awareness into our greater being. The human body is unique, especially the central nervous system, and our human body is transformed at the cellular level as we spiritually develop.[/QUOTE]

Yes I agree.

The body plays a vital role in the totality of being at peace. So in my view it pays to take good care of what we have to work with. As I have aged and grown within, I naturally move myself into being aware more holistically. So change often reflects all the way through my choices in this body more fully. My peace of mind, tends to want to maintain and take care of its peace. So naturally as I age, I listen in the care of myself and my peace.

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 26-08-2016, 06:37 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busby
I'm 78 and still going strong.
Thank you for sharing your journey.

People in developed nations are living longer today than previously but it is also true that people in developed nations take their own life, commit suicide, more than those in underdeveloped nations. I think being adaptable is also one of the keys, along with some of the things Busby mentioned. Blessed are the flexible for they will never be bent out of shape. The older I get the more grateful, and hopefully graceful, I become; there is great power in gratitude.

Thank you to all of you for your sharing in this thread.