Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Books

Old 14-11-2011, 04:53 AM
Alchymist

As you say, Lord of the Rings is much more "serious"; that's why I preferred it. We each have our own interests and preferences. Although I would also say that "Fairy Tale" and "Adventure Story" are not necessarily incompatible. There is certainly plenty of "adventure" in Narnia!

Alchymist
Old 14-11-2011, 10:46 AM
midnightstar

Lord of the Rings hands down
Old 14-11-2011, 04:18 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
Which books do you prefer and why?
I really loved reading the LOTR before the movies put images of Elijah Woods in my head. Reading the books was a magical experience, now it's overshadowed by dark lighting, computer graphics and bad acting.

The Narnia books were great when I was a kid, but I don't think I'd read them again, maybe to my children.
Old 26-11-2011, 10:19 AM
Master
Do people see The Narnia Books as being more childrens books and The Lord Of The Rings as being more for adults?

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 26-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Master

Honza - yes. I too prefer LoTR hands down. For one thing I don't identify with children characters any more, for another there's this intense disappointment in me when they return to being children after all those things, for a third I gnash my teeth at the concept of child knights fighting down big enemies, for a fourth there's this 'holy sufferer' thing about the lion that goes against all my instincts. If there is an enemy you fight it even if you will die trying, you don't surrender to be cut down. Even if you sneakily know in advance you will return... Give me Aragorn and Boromir and shouts of defiance, give me a king wielding his army like a sword in the face of a numerically superior army, give me a snarl on a dying face. Man yearns to be a man, not to be petted on the head by a superior being.

For the record, I never liked Harry Potter much either.

And don't even get me started on Twilight!

Harrumph.
Old 26-11-2011, 04:52 PM
iolite

Quote:

Twilight and Interview with a Vampire never interested me. I'm a huge Buffy, the Vampire Slayer (have a T-shirt) and Angel fan -- we own the complete set of dvds for both series. I like my heroines and heros to be a LOT less serious and wise-crackers.
Old 26-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWarrior
Honza - yes. I too prefer LoTR hands down. For one thing I don't identify with children characters any more, for another there's this intense disappointment in me when they return to being children after all those things, for a third I gnash my teeth at the concept of child knights fighting down big enemies, for a fourth there's this 'holy sufferer' thing about the lion that goes against all my instincts. If there is an enemy you fight it even if you will die trying, you don't surrender to be cut down. Even if you sneakily know in advance you will return... Give me Aragorn and Boromir and shouts of defiance, give me a king wielding his army like a sword in the face of a numerically superior army, give me a snarl on a dying face. Man yearns to be a man, not to be petted on the head by a superior being.

For the record, I never liked Harry Potter much either.

Harrumph.

Do you like *any* fairy tales? I'm a great fan of them.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 26-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
Do you like *any* fairy tales? I'm a great fan of them.

Terry Pratchett's Discworld? 'Orcs' by Stan Nicholls? Dark Company series by Glenn Scott? Fairy tale might be a definition thing.
Old 27-11-2011, 04:24 AM
Master
Lord of the Rings.......absolutely, every time......love it ......