Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Films

Old 31-10-2011, 04:15 AM
Knower
Bigcaat lol woah that's harsh haha I loved Julia Roberts in this! I thought the casting was great!! Definitely agree with the op, it has a lot of insight to relate to, at least it certainly did for me. I will watch it again,:)
Old 31-10-2011, 09:22 PM
Celtic Goddess

Have watched the movie several times and read the book. I like both, but if I had to choose, I like the book a little bit better....
Old 31-10-2011, 09:36 PM
angelleem

Read the book and watched the movie a few times and have to say I prefer the movie which is unusual for me.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:32 PM
NirvanaGirl

Really liked this film! I've never been bold enough to go away &
find myself, i really admire that
Old 06-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Guide
I've heard that there are two different versions of this movie. I've seen only the released in theaters version.

I didn't think it was the best movie ever, but it wasn't a bad movie to watch on a lonely winter night (I saw it last winter.)

On the whole I think the movie was overrated though. It would be one thing if I could relate to a single successful white woman going through a midlife crisis, but no, I don't not really. Nor would I say that Julia Roberts is my favorite actress.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:25 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightFilledHeart
Haha James! Translation of the term "chick flick": a movie that deals with depth of emotion and profound growth in the characters

I have a better translation: Girl experiences romantic difficulties and realizes at the end that she needs to dis-entangle from finding happiness via relationship with another and instead look within for said happiness. A very good bit of wisdom, but overdone to the point of causing men nausea when seeing this same tired worn out plot played out again and again in different movies over and over again. In all fairness, the same tired old repetitive plot lines can be said for "action movies" that guys like.

As far as eat pray love. I liked the spiritual angle but the movie in and of itself disappointed somewhat. It could have been better made. I heard the book was fantastic. I did not like the ending of the movie at all where the guy pressures her to go off together on a romantic jaunt immediately after she has had an intense spiritual experience helping others. It makes it look like she was the one with the problem for initially not wanting to go and that her spiritual salvation can only be found within relationship with that guy which is the wrong message IMO.

Why not enjoy and bask in the spiritual experience of helping others and bond with them for a little while and tell the guy to chill out and wait a bit and respect your path/experience instead of rushing into something you are not quite ready to do for the sake of another? That part reeked of chick flick female disempowerment if you ask me.

Can someone who read the book tell me if that part was accurately depicted in the movie?