Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 25-07-2013, 11:35 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_crow
Don't you imagine he ever existed?
I see no reason not to believe he did.
But as an ordinary man, who became a very un-ordinary man, after his enlightenment.
No I don't, there is no real evidence to prove otherwise, all the historians of the time and place never mentioned him, there was a little about him from one particular historian but that was proven to be fake, or added much later.
Old 26-07-2013, 12:02 AM
Deactivated Account
I admit, I like the idea of a seeker, going off into the desert for forty days and nights, coming back as the sort of man one may well come back as, after an experience like that. Largely, I suppose, because I did pretty much the same thing, with pretty much the same result.
It probably doesn't matter, though. Except, perhaps, as a lesson in how one might escape the unknowing state most humans live their lives in, and transcend the illusory state that humans inhabit, by default.
Old 27-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
Yes its a smorgus board out there, so many belief systems, I think its best to pick the best that resonates with you, and meditate on that. Being a Christian you might like to read Joel Goldsmith books, he's more of a Christian mystic, and interprets the scriptures in a more metaphorical way which makes more sense.

Thanks Slice, I just looked up this author and love the sound of his books, so I bought four!
Old 28-07-2013, 07:41 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex23
With structure comes rigidity as well. I see what you are saying, but I personal don't see any benefits of organized religion. Not that I think it is bad...I urge everyone to make their own choices and decide what is right so long as they are respectful of others beliefs.

I agree though about the "If you don't agree you're wrong" attitude. Though I think it exists in every single religion as well.
It doesn't just exist in religion, it exists in every spiritual belief system. Even the ones that claim to be above beliefs. People just have a hard time admitting it to themselves, which is the way the mind naturally works. It naturally likes to deny lol.
Old 28-07-2013, 07:57 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf
It doesn't just exist in religion, it exists in every spiritual belief system. Even the ones that claim to be above beliefs. People just have a hard time admitting it to themselves, which is the way the mind naturally works. It naturally likes to deny lol.

Disagree because I can tell you I honestly don't feel that way. I feel I may be right or wrong about everything I believe in or practice. That was why my/our ideas as people should be given room to change or grow.

I'd say th he attitude exists in society because people have no desire to cleanse themselves of it, even though it can be done. It exists because we allow it to.

I could even be wrong about this post in fact. Its just my belief.
Old 28-07-2013, 10:14 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex23
Disagree because I can tell you I honestly don't feel that way. I feel I may be right or wrong about everything I believe in or practice. That was why my/our ideas as people should be given room to change or grow.

I'd say th he attitude exists in society because people have no desire to cleanse themselves of it, even though it can be done. It exists because we allow it to.

I could even be wrong about this post in fact. Its just my belief.

We all hold beliefs to be true, that's the way our minds work. It's a fad these days to say I don't believe anything, but it's just a reaction to the way others have acted. It's a reaction that has the exact same result as what is being reacted to. The human mind likes to think very highly of itself and think it's better than others. But the divine is shown when we can be honest with ourselves instead of being afraid to look at what's really inside of us.
Old 29-07-2013, 06:19 AM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradM
I recently left Christianity couldn't connect to it. This being it was too judgmental and so many rules to follow just to get to Heaven. Plus my mom is a pastor and you may know how that can be. In recent months I've been researching Buddhism (Nichiren) and Wicca . The connection I feel with these two religions is AMAZING! But my dilemma is can one follow both paths and grow spiritually without them bumping heads?
Buddhism lends itself well to syncretism and adaptation. The current Dalai Lama said that one can/should use Buddhism to make yourself a better person, instead of becoming a Buddhist, per se. Nichiren Buddhism itself sees the Buddha as an infinite being of light who incarnates periodically to teach people, and through repeating his divine name one can be reborn into the Pure Land where one can achieve enlightenment.

So, in my opinion, being Wiccan with a Buddhist outlook and overlay is entirely possible because neither religion is overtly dogmatic and exclusive. In Japan, many people who practice Shinto will apply the dharma in their lives, and usually have a Buddhist funeral. My advice is to learn as much about each religion as you can, both from a practical and theoretical perspective. Along with the history of each - but as a warning, a lot of books published by Wiccans on their history tend to be very romantic and unfactual. So stick with more scholarly and professional works when it comes to history.
Old 29-07-2013, 06:27 AM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
No I don't, there is no real evidence to prove otherwise, all the historians of the time and place never mentioned him, there was a little about him from one particular historian but that was proven to be fake, or added much later.
Well, there's very few writings from Palestine during the time of Jesus. He was a lower class figure executed as a rebel, so it's not surprising he wasn't making the metaphorical newspapers of Judea. There's also the fact that most ancient histories are written decades to hundreds of years after the figures they write about, usually with the agenda of praising, or condemning them, rather than historiography in modern understanding.

I assume you're referring to Josephus as the historian. Josephus tends to exaggerate a bit, but it's almost certain he did refer to Jesus of Nazareth; although the manuscripts we possess have a few odd details coming from Josephus, a Pharisaic Jew that were likely added by Christian scribes. Even so, when you strip away the comments about Jesus being the messiah and references to his divinity, a solid statement concerning him remains that fits well with Josephus' terse mentions of messianic and prophetic figures of 1st century Palestine.

It should be mentioned that pretty much every modern historian, even agnostic and atheist ones, contend that Jesus the Nazorean existed; the evidence for his existence is as solid as nearly any other ancient figure. What isn't historically tenable is that Jesus referred to himself as God, or considered he was starting a new religion. But his existence is almost certainly assured.
Old 29-07-2013, 06:36 AM
Deactivated Account
You write well :)
Old 29-07-2013, 06:50 AM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_crow
You write well :)
Thanks! I tend to have a slightly disorganized train of thought at times, so by attempting to write well, I can at least get some decent points from my noggin'.