Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 02-06-2020, 12:03 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
" I was just coming back from an almost overwhelmingly powerful meditation and I thought there it is again " The outside world. " .

You wouldn't have your inner world without your outer world , Yin/Yang in harmony.

Yes of course, the connection seems quite obvious in the Yin/Yang framework ..its a good one to remember. But also thinking about say jhanic states and such like were people remain deep in samadhi ..and it kinda seen as an inner state because people but mostly monks don't 'reach' the jhanas walking around the street, well not normally ? Maybe all that points to is that the six senses are in full operation when walking along the street, hope so ?? Oh there's a lampost

To Thine own Self be True

The Frost performs its secret ministry,Unhelped by any wind. Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Old 02-06-2020, 03:52 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mc
Yes of course, the connection seems quite obvious in the Yin/Yang framework ..its a good one to remember. But also thinking about say jhanic states and such like were people remain deep in samadhi ..and it kinda seen as an inner state because people but mostly monks don't 'reach' the jhanas walking around the street, well not normally ? Maybe all that points to is that the six senses are in full operation when walking along the street, hope so ?? Oh there's a lampost
Well, I am not sure how to sketch this.
I think that a Buddhist answer is often yes and no.
Because of the 2 Truths: Absolute and Relative.
One can live or lets say ‘channel’ the Absolute (or call it the ‘Oneness’ or ‘Cosmic Consciousness’), whilst in the Relative.

The same with Inner and Outer.
The trick being - to be on the Inner and Outer path all at the same time.
The conventional thinking is always thinking in either or terms.

Old 02-06-2020, 04:13 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentient
Well, I am not sure how to sketch this.
I think that a Buddhist answer is often yes and no.
Because of the 2 Truths: Absolute and Relative.
One can live or lets say ‘channel’ the Absolute (or call it the ‘Oneness’ or ‘Cosmic Consciousness’), whilst in the Relative.

The same with Inner and Outer.

Yes i've found identifying with those two terms the 'Absolute' and 'Relative' to be an eye opener. When I was first introduced to them .. I think it was when i first read one of Kalu Rimpoche's books, it was an aha moment for sure. And ive run across them being used by Kagyu Tibetan Teachers at various talks and teachings. Up until recently ive heard those terms used at a Gelugpa Buddhist centre, it's always an aha moment.

I know you will be acquainted with the Zen saying... “In the beginning, mountains are mountains and rivers are rivers; later on, mountains are not mountains and rivers are not rivers; and still later, mountains are mountains and rivers are rivers.”

It seems somehow apt in our conversation and to my questions and quandries.

I suppose to put it simply, it is us who become changed ?

To Thine own Self be True

The Frost performs its secret ministry,Unhelped by any wind. Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Old 03-06-2020, 10:50 AM
Master
Quote:

Ahhhhhhh !

Old 03-06-2020, 10:51 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mc

I know you will be acquainted with the Zen saying... “In the beginning, mountains are mountains and rivers are rivers; later on, mountains are not mountains and rivers are not rivers; and still later, mountains are mountains and rivers are rivers.”

.....but are seen in a totally different Light.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:01 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
.....but are seen in a totally different Light.

Because the way we look at things changes as we progress along the path

At one time when I looked at a box full of Chocolates they looked beautiful until I looked at my stomach , oh well....
Old 03-06-2020, 11:52 AM
ImthatIm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Because the way we look at things changes as we progress along the path

At one time when I looked at a box full of Chocolates they looked beautiful until I looked at my stomach , oh well....

Sharing is caring, friend.

Have you ever tried Aztec chocolate drink? (Xocolatl)
I have wanted to, but never have.
Chocolate and Hot chili's kinda makes my mouth water.

Here is one list of ingredients used in making Xocolatl the original hot chocolate.
Quote:
You're going to need:

2 3/4 cups water
1 green chile pepper, sliced
1/8 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract

Recipe came from here if interested:http://meltingmug.blogspot.com/2013/...chocolate.html
Old 03-06-2020, 04:34 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImthatIm
Sharing is caring, friend.

Have you ever tried Aztec chocolate drink? (Xocolatl)
I have wanted to, but never have.
Chocolate and Hot chili's kinda makes my mouth water.

Here is one list of ingredients used in making Xocolatl the original hot chocolate.

Recipe came from here if interested:http://meltingmug.blogspot.com/2013/...chocolate.html

No no no, sharing a box of Chocolates would be torture

Funnily enough I cannot drink Chocolate it doesn't appeal to me and Chili is another no no, I cannot tolerate it.

What I do love is fresh Strawberries dipped in melted Chocolate, yummy
Old 03-06-2020, 05:20 PM
Master
Xocolatl
Quote:
Enlightenment is not just chocolate at the end, in a lump. It is chocolate, chocolate, chocolate all the way!
(Lama Yeshe)

In Vajrayana - this - I trust relates to the harnessing of the subtle energies within the body to generate bliss, ‘the taste of chocolate’.

Using the subtle body as the path to Enlightenment ... as our bodies are not the coarse bodies only but the whole picture includes our subtle bodies.

…. Which I trust in Aztec refers to the Nagual:
Quote:
Ekayotl, the shade
Mowik, the double
Yoyolli, the animal

(According to Frank Diaz)

In my culture, we have got the same names.
The double is called ‘Self’ or the ‘Shadow Soul’ or ‘Shadow Deity’ or ‘Protector’ and also a person's ‘Nature' - related to the Ancestral Totem Animal.

In Oz-Aboriginal culture we come across the same thing:
Quote:
Thus identifying with 'something other' than one's physically manifested persona allows a person the opportunity to transcend ordinary reality in an act of union (of physical and transcendental dimensions/realities). From Aboriginal point of view not to have a double or shadow in the world is seen to be condemned to an inferior existence governed by physical sense realities only. The Totemic "double" thus acts as an "intermediary" between physical and other; - transcendental/spatial dimensions.

Not sure how Zen that is but ...

Old 03-06-2020, 05:57 PM
Master
Quote:
Xocolatl

In Vajrayana - this - I trust relates to the harnessing of the subtle energies within the body to generate bliss, ‘the taste of chocolate’.

Using the subtle body as the path to Enlightenment ... as our bodies are not the coarse bodies only but the whole picture includes our subtle bodies.

…. Which I trust in Aztec refers to the Nagual:

In my culture, we have got the same names.
The double is called ‘Self’ or the ‘Shadow Soul’ or ‘Shadow Deity’ or ‘Protector’ and also a person's ‘Nature' - related to the Ancestral Totem Animal.

In Oz-Aboriginal culture we come across the same thing:

Not sure how Zen that is but ...

Enlightenment is not just chocolate at the end, in a lump. It is chocolate, chocolate, chocolate all the way!
(Lama Yeshe)

That sounds perfect