Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality > Faiths of Indigenous Peoples

Old 19-04-2024, 04:06 AM
Master
Thank you for sharing. I agree with this perspective too.

Good to see you eezi-ulgen
Old 19-04-2024, 01:01 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anala
Good to see you eezi-ulgen

Good to see you too.
Hows the thaw in the prairie lands??
Old 20-04-2024, 12:02 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by eezi-ulgen
Good to see you too.
Hows the thaw in the prairie lands??

Hmm, thawed and hot and windy and rainy and foggy and cold and snowy and then warm and hot again. Someone let the toddler control the thermostat, lol!

The trees don’t seem to mind as they begin to leaf out! And the plum tree has the most beautiful snowy blossoms.

Asparagus came up and daffodils are all but gone now. A little more fragile than other flowers. The baby birds are still hatching and all the farms around are full of brilliantly white and black calves, some with the pinkest noses! (So cute)

A friend saw a herd of elk the other day, which is unusual for the plains. They are mountain animals. Someone else saw a mountain lion. Which reminds us of our place.

How is your thaw going?

Do you have rivers flowing from mountain ice melts?
Old 22-04-2024, 01:02 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anala
How is your thaw going?
Do you have rivers flowing from mountain ice melts?

In our neck of the woods we rarely freeze for to long, the oceans keep us pretty warm through the winter, usually just hovering above the freezing mark...

We do live close to a river which is fed by a glacier from Mt. Rainer...

Cherry blossoms and apples blossoms are nearing their peek...
Ahchoo...Excuse me, the fir trees are ripe with pollen...LOL...
It covers everything with a sticky golden dust...Sticks in the throat and to the eyes and sinuses...
Birds are very active also...

...Peace...
Old 23-04-2024, 04:11 AM
Master
One more week and the river will rise. :)

Oh, yes, the pollen is thick here too! But soon it will settle and we will be thankful for the abundance.

I would love to see the cherry and apple orchards in bloom.
Old 26-06-2024, 07:34 PM
Knower
Here is a video but more an audio of a song I capture when we were practicing a
song that was gifted to our Uncle Lenard, the song came out of the Skokomish Long House...
It was to be his Power song...
I had to dance a Raven dance in their Long House as part of the trade for the song...
The song was recorded in my living room with about 5 family members...
Uncle Lenny 8:32 mins. long
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6yp5x73iq0
Old 27-06-2024, 01:33 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by eezi-ulgen
I had to dance a Raven dance in their Long House as part of the trade for the song...
Thanks for that.
Had to look at an example of a Raven Dance although this one is from Northwest Coast, but I assume there are similarities?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNXl...hannel=FPSQUID

Sometimes I am a bit startled at seeming similarities and other times the differences in our respective cultures really stand out.
Here I was taken aback a bit by the clothing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ8Q...xwDallasGu ss

Elk teeth dress from a burial site - Lake Onega, Karelia:
https://media.cnn.com/api/v1/images/...,w_1160/f_webp

From there also the snake and the moose staffs. I trust the snake was an emblem of the man’s power, the moose staff – his clan:
https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Eastern_...r_Gatherer.jpg

Last edited by sentient : 27-06-2024 at 02:29 AM.
Old 27-06-2024, 01:41 AM
Master
Cultural differences …

Native American culture seems to be so centered around songs, dances, theatrical performances, masks, clothing, paraphernalia, ceremonies …
Since I have not experienced that – the closest I can think of is Bali.
In Bali I experienced theatrical performances with masks that really draw one’s attention in, you almost start to breath in unison with the performer and feel their every move ….
So many weathervanes and windchimes about, that at the end of the Bali holiday one has gained an intuitive - sixth sense of wind direction and strength before it hits …
Absolutely loved Balinese culture as it targets the twilight zone between the inner and outer, the seen and unseen worlds …
When the spiritual connection is still there - these theatrics, material expressions become truly magical , which I trust Amerind expressions are.

Mongolian Shamanism seems to be somewhat similar to Amerind culture with all their costumes, paraphernalia, theatrics. Theatrics like the horse staff journeying thing, which I assume is meant to give one a sense, a feeling of the real function of the horse.

Our culture was/is more centred in shared storytelling, like how the odd behaviour of a raven alerted their attention to xyz and as such was an omen of such and such thing that happened or how the raven in physical form or other-dimensionally appeared as a psychopomp or as a messenger from the departed or how the raven gave shamans the ability to distance view, find lost items - what have you.

I suppose that is why we have the old poems which give insights into the shamanic world.

Cultural Appropriation. Nobody can steal anybody’s “spirituality” – we are all spiritual. But the forms through which our spirituality is expressed can be copied by others.
And I hate this.

Here is a Finnish artist’s depiction of our horse, which couldn’t be more wrong imo:
https://cdna.artstation.com/p/assets...jpg?1646043341

Yes, it carries one to ‘other worlds’ and beyond the ‘realm of death’ – but it is like an Entity, a Deity, like an Archangel – it comes from the Sacred Reality and not from some Goyan type of nightmare:
https://fitz-cms-images.s3.eu-west-2...1_1986_lrg.jpg

Why oh why do people with no sense of the Sacred, who just read stuff from books think their minds now know it.
Old 27-06-2024, 03:41 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentient
Thanks for that.
Had to look at an example of a Raven Dance although this one is from Northwest Coast, but I assume there are similarities?

I was brought down on to the Longhouse floor to dance in street cloths no regalia, put on the spot to dance for my wife's family I was representing
and I was shown the dance and had to imitate it right then and there...I don't recall the steps though I could probably recall the song if I heard it...
I wouldn't want anyone to think I was a Raven dancer in any shape or form...

This is the leader of the Longhouse at the time I danced and he directed me...
This is not the song but the man, he was kind and Loved teaching but I've heard this song many times...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZwNFG3hoRo
Old 27-06-2024, 03:49 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentient
Why oh why do people with no sense of the Sacred, who just read stuff from books think their minds now know it.

It is the Ramen noodle approach I guess. Easy, cheap, and gives the belly a sense of real food...LOL...