Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 20-06-2014, 03:34 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baile
Okay... Wondering about mermaids and Loch Ness monsters and UFOs and advanced technological civilizations which may or may not have existed, is not spirit exploration. It's new age speculating. It's the stuff of new age books and Youtube conspiracy documentaries. It's all fun, sure, but it doesn't have anything to do with the inner work of the self-realization path.

Evolving an understanding of the higher self via self-realization practice is authentic spiritual education. That's real and it's true. It's something we can all know via the inner experience. We don't have to speculate or spend internet pages wondering if maybe this and possibly that, and I read a book that talks about...

Is my perspective extreme? Sure, and it's because I'm not really interested in speculating. I'm interested in evolving my inner spiritual self and connecting with those truths - the higher self for example - that lead one to an authentic understanding of both the nature of spirit, and the human soul's relation to spirit.

Ah yes, I see what you mean now. I hold these exact same sentiments. These things are all distractions away from the greater Truth. I think it is okay to be curious and 'open minded' but chasing after stories of which we have no real knowledge of is not good for one's progress towards self-realization. Although the experience of being distracted is needed in the first place to know what we are being distracted from, I think there comes a point where for most part it all becomes irrelevant. I can think 'hey, I wonder if mermaids exist', but chasing after an answer is not of importance to me. The only thing important to me is my own progress on the path and my ability to stay present and and centered through everything I do.
Old 20-06-2014, 03:39 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
My way is there's no point believing things that there isn't any evidence for

Exactly. And there's not too much point in getting worked up over it all in that case. New Age theories in this way are no different to tales of the Bible or other holy books. They are interesting to read with a lot of symbolism and maybe some truth but we don't know for sure, so why get so hot and bothered over defending different imaginations which can't even be proven anyway? All that exists is speculation. It is the only reason people believe in these things anyway.
Old 20-06-2014, 07:52 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarlettHayden
Exactly. And there's not too much point in getting worked up over it all in that case. New Age theories in this way are no different to tales of the Bible or other holy books. They are interesting to read with a lot of symbolism and maybe some truth but we don't know for sure, so why get so hot and bothered over defending different imaginations which can't even be proven anyway? All that exists is speculation. It is the only reason people believe in these things anyway.

It does not mater what is speculation or fact, if a person believes in something, they have the right to defend thier belief. Belief is not a court a law and it has no need or purpose to be proven to a non-believer.

And, when a person has nothing to believe in, they have nothing to defend. So why attack the people that believe in something. It is like the belivers have something the non-belivers want, so the non-believers try and take it away from the believers with this concept of prove it.

mj
Old 20-06-2014, 10:00 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew James
It does not mater what is speculation or fact, if a person believes in something, they have the right to defend thier belief. Belief is not a court a law and it has no need or purpose to be proven to a non-believer.

And, when a person has nothing to believe in, they have nothing to defend. So why attack the people that believe in something. It is like the belivers have something the non-belivers want, so the non-believers try and take it away from the believers with this concept of prove it.

mj

I was not attacking people who believe in things.
Old 20-06-2014, 10:14 PM
Badger1777

Quote:

With the greatest respect, these two sentences are almost contradictory. On one hand you are implying it is fair to defend one's beliefs, on the other hand, you are saying there is no need or purpose to do so.

But also I note the term 'non-believer'. What if the person you are arguing with IS a believer, but does not believe the same as you? On a one to one basis this isn't much of an issue in practical terms, but in principle, is this not how many wars are started?

I think if two people believe different things, each has a right to believe what they believe. Each has a right to try, as peacefully as possible, to explain why they believe what they believe and in doing so, they may even influence or change the beliefs of the other, if they make a good case and the other is truly open minded. Problems occur when one takes the attitude 'this is my belief, and anyone who believes otherwise is simply wrong'. I'm not suggesting that anyone here has taken that stance, I'm merely throwing my belief into the mix
Old 20-06-2014, 10:26 PM
elisi

“I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?”

― John Lennon

Old 20-06-2014, 11:12 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger1777
I think if two people believe different things, each has a right to believe what they believe.

That is basically what I was trying to say. I was just trying to add that if the beliefs are based on speculation or facts, that should not mater.

mj
Old 21-06-2014, 10:17 AM
Master
Quote:
That is basically what I was trying to say. I was just trying to add that if the beliefs are based on speculation or facts, that should not mater.
Scarlett was responding to my post I think, and she acknowledged she understood what I was getting at. Believing in a Biblical apocalyptic end-of-days scenario in one's lifetime is a belief. Meditating on and contacting one's higher self is experiential knowledge. The former is an intellectual taking hold of an external concept. The latter is an inner process involving interaction with spirit. That's the difference. And of course as you say, people are free to believe whatever they care to, nobody can argue against that.
Old 21-06-2014, 11:25 AM
Ascender
Thank you Baile for clarifying that. I thought Scarlett was saying that a person's belief system should only be based on proven facts.

Sorry Scarlett for my misunderstanding of your comment.

mj
Old 21-06-2014, 12:55 PM
Deactivated Account

Yes I was responding to and acknowledging Baile's comment, I didn't mean it to come across as if I was attacking anyone's beliefs. For me I prefer to know something directly rather than speculate about something I have no knowledge of.. until then I have an open mind. What others decide to believe is up to them and I respect that entirely, as long as they don't try to force their beliefs upon me or others.