Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Yoga

Old 16-09-2011, 11:11 PM
Knower

Hot (Bikram) Yoga

I want to join a hot yoga class! It's a 90 minute class of 26 demanding yoga positions in 105 degree temps. Sounds scary but fun, and would be a great way to tone and cardio. I have concerns however..

Exerting your body for that long a time in such intense heat can't be good for you....can it? I'm afraid it would kill me! I won't know until I try, obviously. But maybe someone out there has done hot yoga and knows if there are any drawbacks to it? Besides the givens like don't do it while pregnant, hungry, heart problems etc etc.

Is this form of yoga good\bad for the body, and how so? I wish to know more about it please.
Old 19-09-2011, 01:26 AM
deb

Hi, I've recently been attending Bikram yoga class which is the Hatha yoga performed in a room that is 105 degrees... I was a little nervous at first but have come to really love it. I have only observed positive from self and others. I have practiced other types of yoga and this one is intense. If the instructor is certified and knowledgable you should be ok. I'd check out their credentials, speak with your doctor, and expect a great work out. Also make sure that the room temperature is always monitored... Enjoy
Old 19-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Sundialed

90 minutes, now if I could find a class that long, mine are usually an hour, wow that would be so awesome, bring plenty of water! and an extra towel to wipe yourself! oh boy!
Old 20-09-2011, 01:46 AM
Knower

Hey, thanks guys :) I kind of can't wait to try it now. I hope I can keep up!
Old 22-09-2011, 08:40 PM
ORCHIDEA

Hi!
I've done 90min. hot Yoga. It's hard in the beginning, but then your body adjusts to the temperature and you just keep going. Don't eat anything too heavy or fat 1 hour before the class and bring a lot of water. If you start feeling sick, just step outside for a minute to cool down.

You WILL lose a lot of weight :) Have fun!
Old 24-09-2011, 06:06 AM
Porcelain

How did you find it Earth2bella?
I've started bikram yoga too and it's amazing, I love it! I was so scared at the beginning reading different stories about how hot it is, and not being able to make it through the class... but I was fine! It's challenging, and the sweating is gross and excessive... but so worth it.
Old 24-09-2011, 06:49 AM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcelain
How did you find it Earth2bella?
I've started bikram yoga too and it's amazing, I love it! I was so scared at the beginning reading different stories about how hot it is, and not being able to make it through the class... but I was fine! It's challenging, and the sweating is gross and excessive... but so worth it.

I've been under the weather lately so I haven't tried it yet. I'm so out of shape and not very strong anymore so I was thinking maybe I should do a couple normal yoga classes before trying hot yoga, just to prepare my bod.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:45 PM
Langston2

Bikram yoga is a type of yoga exercise created and popularized by this guy named Bikram over the last 40 or so years. In the united states it were only available in La and got lots of impetus from celeb support and so on, and today it's a global factor as well as Bikram is actually fantastically wealthy.

Hot yoga exercise is exactly what it may sound like - yoga exercise inside a warmed room. Various locations have various definitions of "hot;Inch a few are actually just "warm.Inch Individually I would say when the space is less than 100F/37C, you are not performing warm yoga exercise. You will find Three different classes associated with hot yoga -- Bikram, "Bikram within everything however title," and "yoga inside a hot room."

Yoga is really a created specifically, strictly managed number of Twenty six postures and 2 breathing workouts. If you go to different galleries you will listen to the instructions succumbed mostly exactly the same way, simply because every instructor memorizes the same number of instructions ("the dialog" as it is known). The room is going to be heated in between One hundred as well as 110F with a level of humidity of around 40% -- this really is believed to simulate daily problems in India.

"Bikram in everything however name" is just which. Bikram (the man) runs a very restricted and costly ship - to become a licensed instructor you have to take a program that costs somewhere within the neighborhood of $10,000 each and every couple of years. To obtain for this studios is going to do his program (more or less) as well as call it something different -- "the warm 26!Inch or something similar. Simply because they aren't a part of a network, there is less a continual in between galleries.
Old 17-12-2011, 05:06 PM
Sleepygrass

I have done Bikram yoga for little over a month now and had so say that it's an excellent form of yoga. Although I do think with contrary to Bikram yoga believers that it has some sort of false safety to it with its warm environment that could entail you strech out more than what your body can handle.

Every 90 minutes class is the same 26 postures and it leaves not room to adjust it to your own needs or requirments.

The first classes are the least fun and can almost be seemed like a chamber of torture but If you learn how to stick with it will surely give a lot of benefits into your life.

As with any style or branch of yoga they all have their strengths and weaknesses. The only way is to try it yourself.

Also as langston2 pointed out above that there is a difference between "Bikram Yoga" and "Hot Yoga".
Old 23-12-2011, 06:46 AM
Park1

i do bikram yoga. it can tone you up and certainly improve your flexibility due to the heat and intense stretching. keep in mind it CAN tone you up but its not guaranteed to if your eating fudge and doughnuts for breakfast lunch and dinner. its great if you have joint pain, arthritis, or cirrohsis of any ligaments or joints because the compression effect and relaxtion will allow the scar tissue to slowly be pushed away simply by the force of your own blood. i personally think that this yoga is better than regular yoga because you are less prone to injury since your muscles are looser due to the heat.

however this isnt going to make you ripped. you will lose what feels like 10 pounds of sweat when you are done after an hour and a half session (so drink a lot of water before hand). i do it about twice a week in conjunction with my weight lifting, running, swimming, incline hill walks, rock climbing, and HIIT training and it keeps me feeling great even after i am really sore.