Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 30-07-2021, 09:39 PM
Master
Exclamation 🤓YAHWEH & ELOHIM🤓

Discussion about Yahweh and Elohim.

Please put in your own input into this discussion.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 30-07-2021, 10:09 PM
My input...I would be a student and know little.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 31-07-2021, 04:55 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
My input...I would be a student and know little.

I'm with you.

(I'm tempted to post the zen saying:- "Better to see the face than to hear the name" but........)

As Oscar Wilde once said "I can resist everything except temptation"....

Sometimes, seriously, if I didn't laugh I would weep.
Old 30-07-2021, 11:18 PM
Master
Actually, you have brushed up against the words for Yahweh and Elohim, many of times.

Yahweh, unfortunately got translated for the most part as LORD whereas Elohim is generally translated as God. By the way, in Hebrew, these words are pronounced very closely to that of Yahweh and Elohim.

The first creation account explicitly speaks of Elohim. In the second creation account, Yahweh is introduced. I suspect the reason why some criticize the two creation accounts, is, as I suspect, where written by two different groups.

The same can be said of the two different flood accounts.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 31-07-2021, 05:31 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
The first creation account explicitly speaks of Elohim. In the second creation account, Yahweh is introduced. I suspect the reason why some criticize the two creation accounts, is, as I suspect, where written by two different groups.

Your suspicions are well founded. Most theologians adhere to the Documentary Hypothesis.
Old 31-07-2021, 06:05 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
Your suspicions are well founded. Most theologians adhere to the Documentary Hypothesis.

The question is, why? Protestant reform failed, leaving them with their pagan mythology and Greek philosophy. They can't make sense of the Bible and it makes them look stupid. So they go for the atheistic agenda which is unsubstantiated but at least doesn't make them look as stupid to the atheists who think science can diminish the Bible.

The New Encyclopedia Britannica: "Archaeological criticism has tended to substantiate the reliability of the typical historical details of even the oldest periods and to discount the theory that the Pentateuchal accounts are merely the reflection of a much later period."

W. F. Albright, From the Stone Age to Christianity: "It cannot be emphasized too strongly that there is hardly any evidence at all in the ancient Near East for documentary or literary fabrications."
Old 31-07-2021, 06:18 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHenson

W. F. Albright

"In the years since his death, Albrights methods and conclusions have been increasingly questioned" (Wiki)

It would seem difficult to keep up with Biblical studies.

Ref:- http://https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_F._Albright

Old 31-07-2021, 06:32 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobbler's Apprentice
"In the years since his death, Albrights methods and conclusions have been increasingly questioned" (Wiki)

It would seem difficult to keep up with Biblical studies.

Ref:- http://https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_F._Albright

Well that's true. We are all imperfect. Some get popularized and are subject to increasing scrutiny. I always ignore the person saying a thing and concentrate on what they are saying. You measure that, not the person. Tradition is contrary to the Bible. If scholars adhere to tradition they will be at odds with the Bible. That doesn't mean they don't have something you can learn.

The documentary theory evolved over time. So does theology. Interpretation. The availability of MSS.

The DT is just a literary speculation. Conjecture that only makes sense if you want it to. There isn't one scrap of evidence to warrant merit. Portions of Daniel were well established only shortly after the DT would date them.

It just doesn't add up. To me it's like the trinity or evolution. Don't bother arguing about it because people who want to accept it will accept it no matter what the facts are.
Old 31-07-2021, 06:33 PM
Master
Westcott and Hort Greek text

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHenson

EXCERPT

Protestant reform failed, leaving them with their pagan mythology and Greek philosophy. They can't make sense of the Bible and it makes them look stupid. So they go for the atheistic agenda which is unsubstantiated but at least doesn't make them look as stupid to the atheists who think science can diminish the Bible.

Are you saying, the source for 'my material', the Masoretic Text, is somehow invalid even though it is the source text probably for your New Testament along with virtually every Bible.

The Documentary Hypothesis did not come by chance. Those who have looked at the various texts used by translators to come up with a new translation are generally not seen by the average person but I would say those who have looked at the Documentary Hypothesis probably have several of those text.

For example, Jehovah Witnesses use the Westcott and Hort Greek text for their New Testament.

Old 31-07-2021, 06:22 PM
Master
DOCUMENTARY HYPOTHESIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair

I discovered this all on my own and then later discovered others had came to the same conclusions.

To me, the Documentary Hypothesis clears up a lot of the issues people have with the Pentatuch.