Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Health

Old 15-12-2010, 03:06 AM
Experiencer
Location: Adelaide, Australia - but born and bred in Ireland:)
Compulsive overeating

I have battled with my weight for several years now and I am a compulsive over eater - I will eat because I'm bored, or just because there is food there, usually chips, chocolate, ice cream, the usual culprits.

I've read that compulsive over eating is usually triggered by stress, problems or anxiety - but for me it doesn't seem so. I am not a worrier, I rarely get stressed and I come from a relatively normal upbringing.

Anyway, this is starting to effect my health - I have no energy, I am depressed, I have a horrible body image and I've started to get tension headaches. I suffer from chronic indigestion. This week, also, I've had two incidents of heart palpitations, kinda felt like a mild panic attack, but it's never happened before. So I have decided to take action. I'm going to throw out all the junk food and stock up on all the good things. I plan on cutting out meat, sugar, dairy.

I am worried that I won't succeed, as I have tried many times before. I consider myself a good cook, but I don't have much creativity when it comes to veggies. I would also like to incorporate more raw food into my diet - any salad recipes anyone?

I figure by announcing this to the world, my pride might motivate me - I hate to be seen failing, so here goes nothing...
Old 15-12-2010, 03:23 AM
Guide
I'll share my experience and you can do what you will
with it.

I had over eating problems. I was always skinny
but a traumatic incident happened and I suppressed it.
My sub conscious must of sent me messages to over eat and
I didn't even know why until I connected the dots
that my "random" weight gain started the exact same time
As the incident. I went up to 158 pounds so my overeating
wasn't that bad. I tried everything to lose weight
but nothing worked. So I focused on determination
to just stop over eating. It didn't work. When you
put so much focus on NOT doing something than
eventually you'll do it. No matter what. Even if its not for months.
So i just stopped worrying about it. I simply distracted myself.
I focused on my work and my hobbies. Not once thinking about food
or worrying about avoiding another attack of over eating. Now I only
eat only 3 small-medium meals a day which is something I could
never do. I lost 16 pounds since my highest weight. I know this i
result and how I got to it is the polar opposite of the typical:
"Be motivated, don't lose focus, you can do it!" But I've tried
that and fail countless times for years. I didn't give up I
just stop focusing on it and it worked.
Old 15-12-2010, 03:49 AM
Master
Book1

I believe that when a person wakes up one day and says hey, ya gotta do someting here, they should start out being very gentle with themselves. Seek out books that don't clobber you, but give psychological support, a long time ago, heard about a book called "What's Eating You" by some woman, you should look for books like that. It takes step-by-step approach to become stronger in your knowledge about the psychology of it and the nutritional and exercise aspects about life in general. You'll start becoming more independent in choosing your friends, who are supportive of you and your goal to get healthier and lose weight, too. Do not buy into those who have a sure-fire way or advice, like you must eat breakfast. I don't eat breakfast or lunch, I have diet shakes then a reasonable meal at evening time and this year I've lost 40 pounds.

Old 15-12-2010, 04:26 AM
Master
For vegies get a steamer, and you can also cook rice in a steamer. We just started doing this, with four days of rice and vegies, and two days of eating some sort of hormone free/antibiotic free organic meat, grass fed for beef.
Then one night a week we treat ourselves and go out for dinner.
Good luck
Spiritlite.
Old 26-12-2010, 04:09 AM
autumn

I commend you for wanting to eat healthier.

Just my opinion, but if you are worried about failing, maybe you can set smaller goals. Meat, dairy and sugar is a lot to stop all at once. I think most people would have trouble changing that drastically. I don't want you to set yourself up for failure. How about just stopping sugar? I know many, many people who have seen weight just drop off by quitting sugar. Once you've adjusted to that, then go on to quitting something else. By adjusting I mean no longer craving.

I do the same thing as you - I look at the big picture and the end results. But, then I get overwhelmed. I'm learning to break things down into steps and it's much easier.
Old 26-12-2010, 04:18 AM
Master
Yes, don't make the excuse that you're cutting them ALL out, it's just too extreme. Cut back and you could cut one of those out that you feel you CAN do. I cut out all soft drinks/sodas and I've been very successful at it for many years. I have them only on rare occasions. Start with a goal you have a reasonable chance with.

Old 26-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Master
How are you doing? I'm curious to know if you are okay.
Spiritlite.
Old 27-12-2010, 02:18 AM
maryann

Hi Asrais :)

Congrats on the healthy food decision. I know what you mean about not having much creativity when it comes to veggies. Been there myself lol. You can check out foodnetwork.com for salads and veggie recipes. This site offers many recipes from different chefs and user reviews which can help direct you to what you like. And these members can offer great tips.

The kinds of foods you have been eating can biologically create a craving for more of the same kind of junk foods. After you have been eating healing foods for awhile, you may notice that your craving for the junk foods has dissipated. And you may also notice your tastes are changing. The foods you used to find unappealing, you can now enjoy. The longer you stick at it, the more natural it becomes to eat what helps your body rather than what hurts it. Feeling better emotionally and physically normally happens when we eat healthy foods for awhile. You may find yourself liking the way you feel so much that you are naturally inclined to continue eating healthy foods because you don't want to give that up.

Quote:
I am worried that I won't succeed, as I have tried many times before.

When you find yourself worrying like this, a suggestion is the remember that you are always here in the present, the only place you ever can be. Now is where you start each time you eat, plan a meal and shop. And the present is fresh and new. Even if you have just finished eating your favorite chips, ice cream, etc, your having done that is already in the past. It is now and you are free to choose again.

Good luck!
Old 27-12-2010, 06:09 AM
Jeleya

Hey Asrais,

I do the same thing. I am gradually changing though, I have come a long way since a year ago. I agree with the person who says that cutting out everything at once isn't the way to go. Just one thing at a time, see how you go, see how your body reacts. Humans don't like change and we kind of have to trick ourselves that there isn't much of a change, in order to make changes (cryptic?? haha).

One thing I find that keeps me a little bit more on the straight and narrow is giving up sugar. Eating sugar makes me eat everything in sight, every kind of food and especially cravings for more sweet stuff. Take away the sugar and my appetite starts to regulate a bit.

I have started again today because of Christmas, hehe :) but I feel better already after not having it today. I have enjoyed some very low sugar potato chips though which were really nice. One thing at a time :) Oh and one thing to remember re: sugar is, something like barbecue sauce has more sugar than chocolate sauce!!! crazy! it's in so many processed foods that you wouldn't expect.

Let us know how you're going. I know how frustrating it can be. It's funny I am here 'advising' you and I have the same problem. It is a lot easier to say than to do... but I have had some success with the sugar thing so I thought I would tell you about it :)

xxx