Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Nature

Old 18-02-2014, 06:23 PM
n2mec

The Yucca and the Prodoxidae

This story came across my path the other day and I so wanted to share such a wonderful relationship within nature that I couldn’t resist the temptation to post for those who may have a love or interest in Entomology (bugs) and Botany (plants).

Some clips were taken form “Wikipedia” in order to keep brief and too the point.

The Yuccas widely grown as ornamental plant in gardens and the plants flower stem can grow as long as 6 feet with a total plant height that can reach about 20 feet total. (Many grow wild where I live)

The large white flowers produces a strong perfume fragrance, this fragrance attracts the Prodoxidae (moth) that both pollenate and lay its eggs.

The moth larvae feeds on some the seed, always leaving enough seed to perpetuate the plant species.

Yuccas can only be pollinated by these moths and the larvae feed exclusively on the yucca seeds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 330px-Yukka_filamentosa.jpg (81.7 KB, 1 views)