Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 20-01-2015, 11:40 AM
Knower

How powerful are the Om Nama Shivaya mantra?

Just wondering how powerful are this mantra.

And is this really effective in manifestation without bad side effects?

Is it okay to chant this mantra while also using other mantra/s on other times of the day?

How's your life after months or even years of chanting this mantra?
Old 20-01-2015, 01:00 PM
Guide

This mantra is the most sacred in Saiva Hinduism, and is best received in diksha from a qualified Guru. This will empower it, making it have far more effect than by just starting out. In proper diksha, the correct pronunciation and timing is also taught. Diksha is given only after a few years of training in sitting still, other mantras, and more.

So in this sense, it's like having money and the ability to spend it, whereas, on your own, it's just like collecting money.

But it also can't do you any harm ... just little or no benefit.

Please understand that this is just the traditional orthodox POV. These days anybody is doing anything, including selling diksha for sums of money, mixing mantras hither-thither and all over, random experimentation, and much more.
Old 23-01-2015, 01:47 PM
Knower

But many info sources in the net didn't mentioned anything about gurus, diksha or anything like that...they just say to do the mantra and it'll work effectively for everyone.

I was also hesitant on this mantra, coz I've read on some posters that after they got what they want, rich or happy whatever... then their life becomes miserable, they're humiliated and suffered misfortunes in life.

What can you say on that? How many years have you already used this mantra, and after many many years...are your life still in good condition?

I was then thinking that God will take something from us in exchange if they gave us something. And that there is always a price to pay for whatever we got. What can you say on that?
Old 23-01-2015, 03:59 PM
Guide

As I said in my first post, I was just offering the traditional orthodox Saiva POV. You are free to differ, and yes of course many sources say whatever they want. These days its anything goes, and that may or may not be a good thing. Who knows? Not me.

As for benefit ... again ... how could a person tell, really? It's not like you can do it both ways and then compare. Maybe if you had some weird siddhi.

Yes I received mantra diksha in 1986, and have been doing at least one round every day since then, as that was the vow. I missed some, but later did make-up rounds, which was allowable under the vow I took.

I feel fine, and feel that its benefitted my personal state of mind immensely.

In my sampradaya, God would never take, unless it was bad qualities. Sure he'd take away your ability to get angry.

Siva gives.
Old 18-02-2015, 12:25 PM
Master

Mantras focus on the expansion of consciousness, and Om Namah Shivaya, also called as the panchakshari mantra, is considered one of the most potent mantras.

The life-force or prana also increases by chanting this mantra, thus bestowing on one better overall health in the long run.

As stated by Vinayaka, the mantra gains more potency when attained by Deeksha and when chanted with feeling and also proper pronounciation.

Even if uninitiated, if you chant the mantra with love for the Divine, you can still get good results.

Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost.~ Buddha AN 10.1

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the (turbulent) mind. ~ Rajini Menon
Old 18-02-2015, 04:39 PM
Pathfinder
I have done this mantra everyday for at least 4 months or so. I have gotten some blessings or boons from it. I also remember to do what I call mantras of gratitude for being blessed. I think I understand that boons are granted in accord with ones karma. I feel very close to Shiva and cannot imagine ever incurring any suffering as a result of this chant.