Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 25-08-2012, 10:52 AM
Deactivated Account
Going to church without traditional faith..

Hi everyone

After a recent Christian retreat I really want to go to church again. I spent a lot of time in a church while there and it brought me such peace. I'm not strictly a Christian - my beliefs are very wide and emcompass most aspects of spirituality. I think most religions contain elements of truth.

I'm a bit worried I'd feel a hypocrite since I don't actually believe Jesus is the son of God. I do believe that he existed and the crucifixtion happened, but I think this was to show everyone who we really are rather than to be worshipped himself. I hope this doesn't offend anyone as I have respect for all faiths.

Would it be right to attend church knowing what I don't believe? If I'm getting something out of going regardless of that? Is anyone else in this sort of situation?
Old 25-08-2012, 01:38 PM
Royalite

If you're going to learn and with an open heart I don't see it doing any harm. It's not like you're attending a church to mock the people in it. So if you're going for personal experience and for your own development then it's really to your benefit to go.
Old 25-08-2012, 01:47 PM
Master

Absolutely go. It is between you and your creator. If others want to judge you, that is for then but if it helps you on your spiritual quest then that is something to be celebrated.

I used to go to a wonderful church - I've since moved. The priest was a wonder, the time of peace and quiet and worship moved me deeply. I've not had that experience since. It made me want to work with a Christian God but I just can't.

I would guard against letting out too much of your spiritual journey, it is unlikely to be understood and that could make people judgmental / defensive of you - but maybe that is just my experience?
Old 25-08-2012, 02:21 PM
Zem

I see a great deal of sincerity in what you've shared Starbuck (and I am a Christian who does believe that Jesus is the son of God). I don't think you're a hypocrite at all, since you're actually being honest about your unbelief. I agree that Jesus was not interested in getting people to worship him, as he was more interested in turning people onto his WORDS and teachings. Jesus said that anyone can say something against him and be forgiven, but that if anyone speaks against the Holy Spirit (i.e. your true conscience), they would not be forgiven. The lesson I get from this is that if we're following our true conscience, it doesn't really matter what sort of theology we subscribe to.
Old 25-08-2012, 02:32 PM
CatChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck
Hi everyone

After a recent Christian retreat I really want to go to church again. I spent a lot of time in a church while there and it brought me such peace. I'm not strictly a Christian - my beliefs are very wide and emcompass most aspects of spirituality. I think most religions contain elements of truth.

I'm a bit worried I'd feel a hypocrite since I don't actually believe Jesus is the son of God. I do believe that he existed and the crucifixtion happened, but I think this was to show everyone who we really are rather than to be worshipped himself. I hope this doesn't offend anyone as I have respect for all faiths.

Would it be right to attend church knowing what I don't believe? If I'm getting something out of going regardless of that? Is anyone else in this sort of situation?

I've visited different churches in the past to see which one was the right 'fit'. It's a pretty common thing, so no one would question your motives should you decide to.

Here's some suggestions from my experience:

Sit at the back. Pay attention to the energy in the room- not just sermon. watch people. Bring a friend if possible. (Less chance of being asked uncomfortable questions if you're chatting with another person). Listen to others without actually eavesdropping. In other words, try to catch the gist of conversations (general subject matter), and 'how' people talk. United churches are generally the most open minded and tolerant of other faiths and 'alternative' lifestyles.

Keep church hopping until you're satisfied. If not, then always remember that you don't have to go to church to worship.
Old 25-08-2012, 02:36 PM
Master

Here is a channeling where Jesus has quite a lot to say for himself. You can believe it or not, but it is very interesting and has a great energy to it that I feel when I listen.

thelighthouseonline.com / channelings - two come up, he is speaking in both of them, but the second one is all him (the first is mainly Metatron, followed by Jesus.

enlightening stuff, and goes with what Seth said about Christ in his book, Seth Speaks, which was written in the 70's.

I have also channeled Jesus, and you can too, if you want. You can ask him questions and he is always by your side the instant you think of him. He says he is different that other "guides" because you don't have to allow him in, he is always right there when you call him.

Light.
Old 25-08-2012, 02:38 PM
Master

Oh, and the first thing I heard him say to me directly, when I asked who I was speaking to (I always ask for a higher guide, and I ask who I am speaking to) he did not say "Jesus" he said, I am the Light and the Way and the Soul of your Soul. That felt so good, and still makes me smile :)
Old 25-08-2012, 03:06 PM
Deactivated Account
Thank you all for the lovely supportive replies

I agree with what you all wrote. I'm a very private person by nature so I won't feel inclined to share much about my beliefs. Sitting at the back and taking in how it all feels sounds like a really good idea. I have looked at the website of the church I'm interested in going to and it does seem good and supportive as well as relevant for today, but I will see how I feel when I get there.

I like what those of you said about Jesus too and thank you for not taking offence. My views are very liberal and I honestly feel there are many interpretations to be made about what happened and I wouldn't discount it. I go by what feels right for me. I have been confirmed so I feel at home in the Christian church to some extent.

Nameless yes I like that quote too

I guess I will try this out and see how it feels. I think going to church could give my life the positive focus I need. I go to a meditation group but I feel I need more somehow.

Oh and Zem I really like what you wrote as well - your words resonated deeply. Thanks.
Old 25-08-2012, 03:24 PM
mightything

just my two cents. i dont believe in god at all starbuck. i believe in some kind of consciousness out there.
that being said i still attend church every blue moon, why? i like the people and the energy and people care about you just for you. at the church i go to. so even though i dont cater to their religion, (i dont tell them that)
i notice there is still some power in what they do. and it helps people. so i support it when its not put out in a bad way.
Old 25-08-2012, 04:44 PM
Master

I too think there is something beautiful about churches. I walk into a church and I feel its energy, I feel the creator or whatever you want to call God, I feel Jesus' energy. The fact that I don't choose to interact with the congregation in the religious way does not mean that I don't feel the church. I feel most people who go to church are searching for something outside of themselves, instead of looking inwards, but if it works for them, that is a good thing and nothing to be judgemental about from my point of view. Everyone learns in their own way and at their own pace and we are all unique, so we get to write our own stories of how we interact with this world.

However, if the church is preaching that you have to go thru whoever is in charge of it to get to God, I would say Why?, and my 2 cents would be to find another church that does not have that person at the helm, or that preaching. No one needs a middle man to get to God and we all have the free will to think for ourselves. And whatever makes one happy is what they should do.