Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 06-02-2013, 10:05 PM
silverfall

catholic and spiritual

Is it possible to believe in some catholic beliefs but also have an understanding of a different spiritual self if that makes sense??

Is it right to suit yourself between a multitude of different believes????
Old 07-02-2013, 01:35 AM
Ascender

It's possible, it might even be right... just, prepare for a lot of criticism by more orthodox believers.

Otherwise, it can be almost inevitable. It's called syncretism. Consider Saint Brighid, which some suspect may have been a Celtic Pagan goddess "snuck in" to the roster of saints. Many Vodou gods have been syncretized with Christian religious figures. Even Western ceremonial magic... this is essentially the practice that birthed the stereotypical wizard, and the most famous ritual begins with making the sign of the cross (sort of) and saying "For thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever amen" in Hebrew.

The Vatican probably doesn't approve of any of the above.

But put together two people who everyone can agree on are Catholic without any other influence, and even they would have some different interpretations of Catholic values, influenced by their own life experiences.

However, I don't believe that it's right if they're not your beliefs. If you feel that you are "between beliefs" as if belief is something found outside of you, then... it's just an unhappy situation. But if you can stand firm in "These are my influences, those are my aspirations. This is my belief and my practice. I don't need you to validate it, and I'm not converting you." Then, that can provide more stability.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:50 AM
Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfall
Is it possible to believe in some catholic beliefs but also have an understanding of a different spiritual self if that makes sense??

Hi silverfall,

I think it is fine for you to be catholic but be open to other things too. Over the last 2 years or so I have had many similar questions like you. I was a Wiccan and then later a Spiritualist for over 10 years. I was born catholic though. These last 2 years I have gone back to the church and left again etc etc.

I have come to know many people, one lady who is áged' she is a charismatic catholic and she is so open minded. I remember I asked her once if it was ok for me to have Buddha's in my house (because on a catholic forum people were horrified and told me no!), she of course said "why not".

I keep my crystals in my house and even a kitchen witch that I purchased from Austria years ago. The 'witchy'meaning is not longer there for me anymore and well, Buddha was just a cool dude that was seeking enlightenment, right. I have gone back to the church and call myself catholic again, and yes, my house looks more christian than anything else now I guess, but I am open-minded and love many faiths. I truly think God would be ok and even proud of us accepting all faiths and beliefs as long as our belief for him never fades.

God bless you on your journey.
But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13:13
Old 22-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Enigmatic Spammos

Quote:

No you can't. That would be a mortal sin and you would lose Sanctifying grace and all the gifts...and again you would feel empty, searching, looking.... just like the Scripture says:

2 Timothy 3

1 Know also this, that, in the last days, shall come dangerous times. 2 Men shall be lovers of themselves, covetous, haughty, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, wicked, 3 Without affection, without peace, slanderers, incontinent, unmerciful, without kindness, 4 Traitors, stubborn, puffed up, and lovers of pleasures more than of God: 5 Having an appearance indeed of godliness, but denying the power thereof. Now these avoid. 6 For of these sort are they who creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, who are led away with divers desires: 7 Ever learning, and never attaining to the knowledge of the truth. 8 Now as Jannes and Mambres resisted Moses, so these also resist the truth, men corrupted in mind, reprobate concerning the faith. 9 But they shall proceed no farther; for their folly shall be manifest to all men, as theirs also was.

There is no reason to look for alternatives. There are 3 ages of the interior life in Catholic Spiritual Theology.
"The Fathers and theologians distinguish three stages or states of perfection. These are the states of beginners, the state of progress, and the state of the perfect. These states are also designated “ways”, because they are the ways of God by which souls are guided on the road to heaven."
More info on this blog: http://catholicguidance.blogspot.ca/
Old 22-02-2013, 08:45 PM
Master

Quote:

Whatever helps you the most, makes you happy and a better person to yourself and others.. those are the right beliefs. If your beliefs make you judgmental or angry, depressed, melancholy, manic, etc then you might want to think about revising them. Beliefs that don't accompany some kind of spiritual practice aren't very useful either. Putting beliefs into practice makes them work stronger and go deeper.
Old 22-02-2013, 08:54 PM
Master
Hi silverfall. Yes, definitely. There are Catholic occult books you could look at. One is a called "Meditations on the Tarot." It's written by a Catholic spiritualist and utilizes a lot of Catholic symbology. If you study esoteric Christianity, you'll find the Catholic occult stream is considered one of the oldest mystery wisdom paths. There's quite an occult spiritual history there.