Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 17-03-2012, 11:49 PM
my_road

ever seen the film

film the passion of christ? a friend recommended it to me and it was intresting, at those who have seen it would u say the setting was kind of accurate to what it was like for real? the film did seem to capture the dark days kind of feel and it felt rather realistic to what the true events were. what are your views?
Old 18-03-2012, 09:08 AM
ciel_perdu

I guess it was fairly accurate to what happened, though I think it's possible that the flailing was perhaps overdone. Hollywood wants blood and gore, and I think a little too much was given.

Jesus was God, but he was also a man. While it's possible that he could have taken such a beating, I do wonder if they were trying to sensationalize it a bit.

It obviousely had a huge Catholic bent to it (focus on Mary, etc), which is fair enough considering it's done by Mel Gibson.

Overall, I though it conveyed what Jesus most likely went through, and whether or not it was sensationalized, most certainly he went through great pain, not only physical but also in being forsaken by God for that brief point in time.

My favorite line, '' Look mother, behold, I make all things new''.
Old 18-03-2012, 02:06 PM
Ascender
Nope, never saw it. I've seen "Halloween", and "Friday the 13th". I don't need to see another slasher flick wrapped in a religious theme.
Old 19-03-2012, 04:14 PM
Master

I have seen it and I felt that it misrepresented what Christ did. Yes, he did suffer horribly even before the crucifixion, but the Bible doesn't give the kind of graphic details of his suffering that the film did. The Bible's emphasis is not on the details of how he suffered but the purpose, which was to atone for our sins.

There are at least two places where the film is historically inaccurate and follows traditional beliefs rather than the Bible. It shows Christ carrying a cross to the place of execution when in fact he only carried the crosspiece. It also shows the nails being driven into the palms of his hand but in fact when people were crucified the nails were driven through the wrist. It is possible that there were other historical errors that I didn't spot because I lack the knowledge to recognize them.

It also leaves out a major part of the gospel message. The gospel is that Christ died for our sins and then rose again from the dead. The resurrection is as important as the death and should have been given equal emphasis. Instead it was only hinted at at the end of the film.

I have read of people who saw it being motivated to repent of things they had done wrong. This proves that God can use our efforts even when they are imperfect. But this still isn't a film I would recommend for someone who want to learn more about Christ.