Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 02-09-2023, 08:45 PM
Understanding people and their choice of religion, my opinion

Picked Christianity, thought it was a good place and would be read.

I think it needs to be said that everyone is at a different stage on their Journey or Path.
Regarding religions - some need a strict, austere religion and lifestyle - say, like the Amish.
Others need a pastor that is strong on Hell, Fire and Brimstone - aka, scare tactics, otherwise they might do some bad things..fear of Hell stops them!
Good! They need this.
Others need a gentle, smiling, uplifting pastor centered on God's Promises in the Bible.
Others need a straight shootin' pastor ---'Tells it like it is' ..ex: "Most of you are asleep, snap out of it, wake up and do what the Bible says."
Then there's people that choose a gentle, meditative, even monastic way.

You get the idea, I hope.
So what seems wrong or nonsensical to someone - is just what the doctor ordered for another.
Comments welcome. :)

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 02-09-2023, 09:42 PM
Master
Hmm, interesting Miss H. I never really thought of it as a need or a journey.
I like your live and let live perspective.

When you live in a tiny place, it is social or associated with family traditions. It can be a place from which you look out your window and judge others who go to this place or that or choose not to go at all.

Whether you church/religion or not, I see as a personal choice.

Me, personally it is how you walk your walk that shows me who you are a a person. That is where the “rubber meets the road” so to speak. Anyone can read the Bible, quote it, sermonize, etc. but actions speak so much louder than words. In my tiny perspective, opinion… :)

I would love to hear what others think!
Old 02-09-2023, 11:43 PM
Molearner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Good! They need this.
. :)
Hi,

Interesting post. The reasons for church choice are probably not as high and lofty as we might wish to imagine. For a huge number church choice is like our citizenship choice…..we were born into it. If our parents were unchurched then we might be attracted to the church of a personal friend. I read a study one time on church choice and the greatest factor was if you were genuinely befriended by someone in that church.

How does one intellectually choose a church ? Most people would say they are seeking a church that believes what they believe…..this is simply ego confirmation. I have been to many different church dinners and functions. No one ever starts talking about Jesus at these events. Interaction seems to be driven by the desire to find acceptance…..inner thoughts, including religion, tend to be guarded closely.

If one gets involved to the extent of Bible study there often remains a reluctance to share your deepest beliefs…..at least I know that I am cautious…..:). So one shares whatever he perceives will be palatable. We all have our own criteria…..mine happens to be sharing communion…..it allows me to overlook many things. That ‘overlooking’ implies forgiveness and any opportunity to forgive or be forgiven is a tremendous bonus…..
Old 03-09-2023, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
..For a huge number church choice is like our citizenship choice…..we were born into it.
I know. It seems in this day and age many more are deliberately choosing. And those that don't - well, that's perfect for them and
what they need and prefer, as I see it.

And thank you both for commenting! :)
Oh, it is interesting, also, the many that come back after having an NDE - might say the same thing -it's all going as it should.
Have you ever noted not many come back as atheists? LOL!

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 03-09-2023, 09:34 AM
Administrator
Where I live they are mostly Christian, Baptist or Jehovah not so many of the last one. most people don't even think of religion now that day has long gone.
I follow my own path spirituality it can be no other for me as I was born with my gifts

Namaste
Old 03-09-2023, 12:41 PM
Molearner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
I know. It seems in this day and age many more are deliberately choosing. And those that don't - well, that's perfect for them and
what they need and prefer, as I see it.
A large part of the decline in church attendance is the increasing mobility of society. Upon moving one becomes an outsider and many find it difficult to feel an attachment to a new congregation…….this is where much of the deliberate choice comes from…….the physical moving to another location…..
Old 03-09-2023, 01:36 PM
Quote:
A large part of the decline in church attendance is the increasing mobility of society.
Oh, and here I was thinking humans were waking up - getting smarter - more discerning...more layers of their petals opening.
Also, with more available information - the internet, esp, they could hear about other beliefs, traditions, religions
they never would have heard of in their cradled little towns in their pews.
Moving could be part of that, too, yes...I was thinking moving they would find the comfort of their same old church denomination..
or take this opportunity to leave churches all together with no shunning in their town at the grocery store.
(I'm just rambling as thoughts come in about this.)

Old 03-09-2023, 03:28 PM
Pathfinder

Quote:
A large part of the decline in church attendance is the increasing mobility of society. Upon moving one becomes an outsider and many find it difficult to feel an attachment to a new congregation…….this is where much of the deliberate choice comes from…….the physical moving to another location…..
Choice based, imo, on two reasons: geographical and spiritual.
One may live in Arab World and have Gnistic inclinations, so joins Sufi, for example.
Old 03-09-2023, 03:46 PM
Master
Quote:
A large part of the decline in church attendance is the increasing mobility of society, the physical moving to another location…..

Imo only, I would say it's the Spiritual moving to another location....
Old 03-09-2023, 08:47 PM
Molearner

Skepticism is the modern day default position. The church is just as much a victim of this as are politicians, news media, schools, police, etc. Strike up a conversation and be prepared to hear a complaint.