Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 07-01-2016, 09:41 PM
Ascender
Developing the Ability to Listen

Part I
What is listening? Listening is hearing or feeling what is being said underneath words. This gift is an understanding of what is really being said. If you so will it then understand with me how to know what is behind the words typed or spoken.

Unbeknownst to most we are communicating with each other in an energetic way at the same time as we are speaking our words. This language is spoken in energy, not in words. We all have impressions of an object and it’s these impressions that are communicated. Listening is not about reading another person’s mind. It is simply about hearing what someone says to you energetically as well. So since this is an energetic language things like specific names or impressionless material cannot be spoken. For instance, if I wanted to tell you my name I couldn’t just say my name is Geoff. There are many Geoffs in the world and has no energy to it. However, I can tell you my energetic name. My name is Geoff. Understanding energetic names has been occurring our whole lives. I’d like to show you how to understand a name.

This is the part where if you don’t have any interest in developing the ability to listen then you should go to a different thread as this is how I have seen people develop it. First think of someone you know. Ask yourself how do you feel around them? Imagine being in their presence. Then clear your mind and think of someone else. Concentrate on the other person. How does it feel to be around this person? Imagine again being in their presence. Now return to the first person and ask yourself again how you feel around them. Keep going only if you are interested in developing this sense. Now imagine a third person. How do you feel around them? Continue to compare and contrast in this way until you feel you are done. You’ve been sensing people your whole life and now you know hopefully.

Part II
I would suggest reading this part after going through Part I and when you feel ready to continue. Some people might need some time to incorporate this new sense as it is before moving on. Whenever you feel ready though here is more information.

Not only do we have unique energetic names but common impressions of things as well. An impression is not a thought but a sort of energetic way of saying something. For example, I can say “I’m fine.” I can also say “I’m fine.” I mean two different things in each one. Now, if you so will, listen to the “I’m fine.” statements like you would listen to an energetic name. I will tell you what they mean and then compare and contrast the two. Try it out first and see if you are correct. In the first one I said ‘I’m fine.’ abruptly like a person who is annoyed about being asked how they are. In the second one I said it like it’s a good day and I’m doing well. Compare and contrast the two knowing what they mean. Listen to the words like you would listen to an energetic name. If you don’t hear what I’m saying underneath the words yet that is fine. It might take some time. Listen to what I am about to say though in the same way that you hear an energetic name. Hello, I’m glad you are reading this. My name is Geoff and I am very much enjoying offering you this information. I made sure to express myself energetically as I said the last statements.

That is all for now. I hope you find this information beneficial to you on your path. May it bring you happy times.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:16 PM
Master
Ah yes, listening, it is so important beyond the surface view, deeper listening opens up much more in the greater view of what we take in and what we miss.

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 19-01-2016, 08:04 AM
Ascender
Reading over this again I feel Part II is a little bit...lackluster. If you can hear energetic names though now then use that same sense on what people say to you, especially over the internet as that doesn't have any vocal ques or body language. It might take some time to develop the sense but it can be felt. Good luck!!
Old 19-01-2016, 10:21 AM
Lorelyen

Listening is attending to what's being presented to the hearing. That's what makes it different from just hearing.
Old 19-01-2016, 10:30 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelyen
Listening is attending to what's being presented to the hearing. That's what makes it different from just hearing.

I CANT SEE THIS LOYRELYN?

HELP ME SEE WHAT YOU MEAN IN THAT FIRST LINE PLEASE?

SORRY MY CAPS IS LOCKED ON, COULDNT BE BOTHERED CHANGING IT.

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 19-01-2016, 12:18 PM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesflow
I CANT SEE THIS LOYRELYN?

HELP ME SEE WHAT YOU MEAN IN THAT FIRST LINE PLEASE?

SORRY MY CAPS IS LOCKED ON, COULDNT BE BOTHERED CHANGING IT.

Like frinstance, when someone is speaking it is attending to what their intended communication is about, assimilating what they have to say in a way that a response may be expected and/if possible, sort of thing. Instead of the words simply impinging while the "hearer's" brain is otherwise engaged - plain unadulterated hearing - knowwhaddimean?

It can also be when someone is expecting a "communication" from the environment - could be human(s) or a doorbell or something. So "waiting to hear" comes into it, maybe followed by listening.

There's also the matter of hearing or listening to music - which discussion, oh dear me, brings in the issue of musical semiotics...(big sigh: Huhhhhhhhhh)....best steer clear of that....semolina is easier than semiotics, specially while listening to Beethoven... (Beethoven's music, that is).

All good. Well, I'm off to react to some zumba. I'd come and press your CAPS LOCK key for you if only I time. Have you someone at hand to do that?

Interesting that there isn't a parallel in the visual senses. One sees but I don't know if there's a word for seeing intently.
Old 19-01-2016, 02:41 PM
Ascender
Ah, having no word for what I meant I called it listening. A dog is still a dog whether their name is Growler or Mr. Waffles. Would anybody have a better descriptive name for this though?
Old 19-01-2016, 06:14 PM
Lorelyen

It's quite a complex subject which alas I far from understand. The basics of a communication are easy enough but it always involves interpretation of signs (symbols for ideas). What's said and how it's received can be very different (which I suppose is why we have adjectives/adverbs, to narrow down a range of possibilities). I mean that the idea being expressed(spoken), may be different from what's conceived by that idea by the listener. So the listener interprets.

The basic transmitter->message->receiver relies on the receiver understanding the signs used before assimilation and understanding can happen***. I'd describe listening at its purest as the listener allowing the message to be received without assumptions or distortion, for example looking for an undetext/reading between the lines and things. That part of the communication being passive (which it rarely is entirely). Any "word" that evokes a particular experience in the listener may distort how the message is interpreted. You'll find a fair bit of that everywhere in every day.

So I suppose the art of listening is receiving a message intently in as passive a way as possible (as for instance a therapist might), then, depending on the listener's experience of the message content, frame a response....which brings it into the realm of cognition.

***jargon may not be recognised; misuse of terms introduces ambiguity.

There's a lot to ponder on but I'd better leave it at that. I spose where it's at is inspiring people to listen initially without any colouration at all.

Old 19-01-2016, 07:29 PM
Ascender
To understand what I was talking about better, let me redefine listening.

Listening is being aware of the intent behind words

Watch -- I am a man of joy. Now try listening with your heart: I am a man of joy.

If you can notice the different then that is what I call listening. :3
Old 19-01-2016, 07:32 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tridek
Watch -- I am a man of joy. Now try listening with your heart: I am a man of joy.
That is a very inspired little exercise, it 100% worked for me.