Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Films

Old 15-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Lulu

The Dark Knight Rises

So, in a few days, the conclusion to what could potentially be one of the greatest film trilogies in recent history will be released. Is anyone excited? Is anyone a fan of Chris Nolan's Batman? I must admit, I've never been a huge Batman fan, although I did love Batman Returns when I saw it as a kid. But I seem to have been taken hostage by this trilogy... I'm actually quite excited to see The Dark Knight Rises and I hope it lives up to its hype... word on the street thus far (early reviews) is this film is phenomenal.

For anyone interested, here's a 13 minute TDKR featurette,

The Dark Knight Rises - Featurette

In the spirit of the film trilogy, what are some of your favourites?

Mine would have to be (in no particular order):

The Bourne trilogy
The Matrix trilogy (I don't care what the haters say!)
Alien trilogy (I pretend Alien: Resurrection never happened)
Old 15-07-2012, 11:05 PM
Henri77

Thanx
cool featurette

One of the greatest recent villians IMO was Ivan Vanko (Ironman2) brilliant. driven, yet someone we had some compassion for. Had to love the guy for all his faults, (after all he'd been through)
His acting totally upstaged Tony Stark in my book.

I'm not crazy about the ugly Hannibal Lecter like mask this guy wears,
but he's formidable and a great opponent for Batman.
Personally I feel it makes him look like a fragile psycho whose mentality could shatter at any time..... rather than a powerful villlian.
Anyway that's a first impression that will hopefully change

Should be a winner though (awesome cast)
Billionaire witty heroes like Tony Stark have a certain cocky charm but a damaged antihero is a classic formula and Chris Nolan is one of the best director on the block.

My faves would be
Daywatch-Nigh****ch duo 1st place for me
(adore the Russian aesthetic-characters)

Kill Bill duo
Matrix (Keanu haters are beyond me)
Alien

(just rented Star Wars after over 10 yrs) Neither Netflix nor Amazon had 'em, to rent , but local Blockbuster did.
Old 16-07-2012, 01:23 AM
Lulu

Tom Hardy is a pretty decent actor... I trust he'll do Bane justice. I love the contrast of his voice and appearance!

I'm so happy to see Joseph Gordon-Levitt in this movie... I have been watching that guy since I was a kid. He actually looks like a grown up now... I thought for a while that that guy would never age lol. He's grown into quite a great actor.

Yeah, Kill Bill was great! Are you a fan of Quentin Tarantino? He's one of my favourites. I love his style! Have you seen the trailer for his new movie, Django Unchained? It looks pretty awesome!

Django Unchained

You know, I've never seen a single Star Wars movie... ever... and I have no plans to watch one any time soon... haha.

Another trilogy I'm hoping to add to my list is the Prometheus trilogy... that is, if it turns into one (which it probably will). Prometheus needs a trilogy. I still have faith in Ridley Scott.
Old 16-07-2012, 01:51 AM
Master
I've heard a lot about this Dark Knight trilogy and to be honest I'm intrigued. Not seen any of then yet. But Dark Knight Rises has hooked my interest. I'd love to find out more.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 16-07-2012, 02:14 AM
Lulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
I've heard a lot about this Dark Knight trilogy and to be honest I'm intrigued. Not seen any of then yet. But Dark Knight Rises has hooked my interest. I'd love to find out more.

Oh, Honza... you should definitely check this trilogy out! Heath Ledger's Joker alone was one of the greatest moments in (recent) film history... he wasn't even acting... he became the Joker. A lot of fanboys criticize Ledger's joker for straying too far from the original Joker, but they neglect to mention that Ledger's joker had to fit into Chris Nolan's Batman world (a more 'reality-based' world)... and Ledger did that brilliantly.

Chris Nolan has really done a phenomenal job with these movies... although, I must reserve my judgement of The Dark Knight Rises until I've actually seen it, I trust (maybe hope is a better word?) it's going to be just as good, if not better, than the first two.
Old 16-07-2012, 03:10 AM
Henri77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu
Heath Ledger's Joker alone was one of the greatest moments in (recent) film history...

Second that, his portrayal of the Joker was sheer inspired genius...

Yet another villain that we sympathized with ... driven to madness by his father... like Ivan (Ironman) was damaged by his situation.
It's rare that a ferocious movie villain can yet win our sympathy... and fine writing-acting made it work.

Frankly Tarrantino is a strange bird, and while I admire his work greatly I wouldn't wanna be stuck in an elevator with him... for some reason.

The brutal depiction-treatment of women doesn't sit well with me... but I'm not a fan of casual brutality in films...yet his mastery of dialogue is rare.

Old 16-07-2012, 03:18 AM
Henri77

Star Wars introduced the spiritual theme into action-sci films.
As it's part of the thematic fabric of all the episodes....light & dark as aspects of the same force.

Someone mentioned that Yoda was inspired by the Indian philosopher
J Krishnamurti, as Lucas was a huge fan of his work.

Old 16-07-2012, 04:15 AM
Lulu

Quote:
Yet another villain that we sympathized with

I actually found myself rooting for Joker for a good chunk of The Dark Knight.

That's actually another great thing about Nolan's Batman movies... they are incredibly action packed, the are incredibly fast paced, yet he still manages to fit in some pretty solid character development. That's not always easy to do, especially in movies, such as these.

Quote:
Frankly Tarrantino is a strange bird, and while I admire his work greatly I wouldn't wanna be stuck in an elevator with him... for some reason.

Hahaha I agree, he's a bit 'out there,' but it's a good 'out there.' I think I wouldn't mind an elevator ride with him... he'd turn a mundane elevator ride into the most awesome elevator ride ever... I don't know how, exactly, but I'm sure he'd do it. Yes, he'd definitely do it. The soundtrack to that elevator ride would be awesome, as well. That's another great thing about his movies... the way he incorporates music into them. The music he chooses doesn't just compliment the movie (or a particular scene) - the music becomes an important part of the movie/scene... you could even go as far as to say it's its own character.

Quote:
The brutal depiction-treatment of women doesn't sit well with me... but I'm not a fan of casual brutality in films...yet his mastery of dialogue is rare.

Tarantino's pretty brutal across the boards... he don't discriminate lol. But, I agree... I generally don't care for too much brutality... if that's all his movies were about, then I'd probably pass. But he's got the substance to back it up. He tells great stories. And I agree... I can't praise his dialogue scenes enough.

Although not a lengthy one (and I guess more of a monologue than anything), in Kill Bill Vol. 2, when Elle is reading information on the black mamba (which she copied from Wikipedia, or something) off of her notepad to Budd as he is dying from a black mamba bite(s)... that was pure awesomeness. I love Tarantino for little things, like that!
Old 16-07-2012, 09:44 PM
Henri77

[quote=Lulu]I actually found myself rooting for Joker for a good chunk of [i]The Dark Knight.[/QUOTE]

Understood... a truly sympathetic villain is a tough trick to pull off well, humor DOES help lots, of course.
i felt the same way about Ivan in Ironman2 ... he was certainly the underdog with a mission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu
Tarantino's pretty brutal across the boards... he don't discriminate lol.

Well as he's a fan of Sam Raimi and martial arts films, it's understandable.... but the treatment of "the bride" was a bit much for me.,,, and if not for the wry humor throughout, could have alienated many many moviegoers & critics.

But I loved the badass ladies in both films... especially the schoolgirl assassin, GoGo .... a delightful idea-character.

Anyway this isn't about Dark Knight.... and hopefully someone will have further comments about that.

I've started many movie threads at other sites , and well understand taste is not debatable, as everyone likes their pizza different.
Old 16-07-2012, 11:55 PM
Lulu

And so it begins...

'Dark Knight Rises' Critic Receives Death Threats

*facepalm*