Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 09-11-2010, 09:47 PM
Master
Is having a mental issue....spiritual?

Is having depression and anxiety like I do, but I'm working through it and over the years I'm actually doing a lot better, is it a spiritual setup that we put ourselves through so that we can grow and learn and enhance?
I have foudn that working on my depressoin and anxiety I have become a lot more empathetic with people who have a mental illness, I feel that I'm a lot calmer when dealing with people as a nurse who have a mental illness, I feel that I'm more spiritual because that's one of the avenues I'm taking to help my mental illness.
What do you guys think?
Is it a path we chose, a very very hard one, so that we can learn and develop more spiritually?
By the way I went from not being able to even leave my bed and thinking of suicide everyday for a year, not being able to keep a job for a few years to now being functional, not having a panic attack in over a year, keeping the job I now have for almost 4 years, and being more spiritual.
Spiritlite.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Gerryh

I believe that all illness and disease stems from the programmes that run in our minds and bodies.I also think that one day when man realises this, illness and disease will be treated a lot differently.I hate how western medicine labels you as X.Look at the progress you have made in 4 yrs.Is it not possible that maybe you can be rid of anxiety and depression forever? I think you can once you stop looking back and ride magnificently forward into your life trusting that your higher self can look after you magnificently.
Best wishes Gerry
Old 09-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritlite
Is having depression and anxiety like I do, but I'm working through it and over the years I'm actually doing a lot better, is it a spiritual setup that we put ourselves through so that we can grow and learn and enhance?
I have foudn that working on my depressoin and anxiety I have become a lot more empathetic with people who have a mental illness, I feel that I'm a lot calmer when dealing with people as a nurse who have a mental illness, I feel that I'm more spiritual because that's one of the avenues I'm taking to help my mental illness.
What do you guys think?

I am a firm believer that our illnesses has their purpose to help us grow. As you've said that your depression and anxiety has helped your become more empathic, and may even lead to compassion. I belive that is why we give ourselves such hard times when we are on a spiritual path. To help us back on our spiritual path, if we are not on one, and to help us learn about it, and how we can help others, or become more loving towards others.

Perhaps diet and lifestyle did play a role in our health being poor, but I believe it was meant to be that way to shock us awake in our lives. Had we not had this or that we may of missed great opportunities to better ourselves spiritually.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Master
yeah now that I eat a lot better than I did back four years ago and I excercise and I have more life experience and I don't abuse alchohol or weed anymore my depression is almost gone and my anxiety is very manageable.
Thanks for your feedback.
Spiritlite.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:36 PM
cheeky_monkey

Spiritlite what an inspiritional story of yours. What a road you have been on. Thank you for giving people like me hope .
Old 09-11-2010, 11:00 PM
Master
Cheeky thankyou it is doable don't fall into the hopelessness of "oh **** I'm going to have to deal with this my whole life" no you don't have to, you will learn to overcome it, take steps in doing it.
For example I'm still on meds but I'm decreasing my dose.
I now swim 3 miles a week which studies say exercise helps depression more than medications
I'm now seeing a counselor to reduce my anxiety levels and it's really helping I only wish I went sooner.
I'm taking herbal stuff to help with my nervous system and nourishing it because being a nervous person that takes a toll on your nervous system.
I drink wheatgrass four times a week
I am eating healthier now and more aware of how food affects my moods
I stopped drinking and abusing weed about a year ago and I feel great, i realized those things made me more depressed and anxious
I only work part time which is all I can handle and I've not called off in over two years (whereas this time four years ago I couldn't stay a full work week ever) so i choose to live with less money which is hard so that my work life I'm at least able to bring something in.
Surround yourself with good people and positive people.
Learn to lean on people when you need help, not put your problems on them but lean on them and talk to them.
Spiritlite.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:00 PM
Master
i can empathize with you spiritlite, there are days i don't want to get out of bed, and spend most of my time jsut crying..

I think there are both spritual psychological causes.. spirtually perhaps getting out of the flow, not trusting in the process of life but that's difficult to do when you are in negative circumstances so should be expected. Psychologically it may stem from childhood issues etc when brain cannot process trauma or negative treatment issue, negative event etc it needs outside sources to regulate emotions so people turn to weed alcholol etc, those are gone you are left to deal with raw emotions, can't run from them and yes it's very difficult

it could be a lesson in empathy, could be part of your work here.. i found out something horrifying sometimes the pain we go through is just to help others not even for our own growth, lol spiritworld's way of throwing us under the bus
Old 09-11-2010, 11:27 PM
Enya

There are lessons to be learnt from everything... courage, strength, endurance, hope, love, joy... it's what we do with our experiences that matters, not what they are. That said, there is the concept of the 'wounded healer', where one who has been through a life-forming experience can then recognise it in others and help them to heal themselves. Quite a useful thing, don't you think?
Old 10-11-2010, 01:23 AM
blackfellawhitefella

in my world view , (with regards to this questioned environment) yes , we pre-arranged/pre-sent 'the experience'.

we presend the perfect trap/quicksand for ourselves.

this is my perception , of that , that has been my experience.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:29 AM
Guide
Really, everything is spiritual. Pain (including emotional) = Growth.
Every painful experience I have had has helped me grow.