Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 04-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Bluegreen

Can Soul and Spirit be used interchangeably?

I have often noticed that Soul and Spirit are used interchangeably.

I have come across two instances (and I am sure there are more) where a distinction was made between soul and spirit.

Any thoughts on the matter?
Old 04-11-2011, 07:48 PM
nightowl

I have always used them interchangeably...it will be interesting to hear how those who see them as different explain their reasoning of such...good question.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Elena

I thought soul and spirit are the same???? Now I am confused break it down for me please.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Bluegreen

The following is from Winged Pharao, a remembered life of Joan Grant.

Quote:
The body is the khat, the ka-ibis, and the ka.
This is the outer covering of our soul and spirit, through which we gain experience on Earth; and when the body dies, the ka and the ka-ibis die also.

Our soul is the ba and the nam, and these we have need of as long as our spirit must be re-born upon Earth, and that is until we have learnt to master our emotions, our thoughts and our will. And that leaves spirit, which is the only part of ourselves that endures for ever.

[...]

When you think of qualities, you think of them with a part of your spirit called the za. ...

[...]

The za is the first part of your spirit. The second part of your spirit is wherein is stored the memory of every experience that you have undergone since that moment when, having gained all experience possible in the realm of animals, you were first born a human being and could say, 'I am I'.

As you will notice, seven 'bodies' are mentioned.

I will give more quotes later. I do not want a lot of text to wade through.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:09 PM
Elena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegreen
The following is from Winged Pharao, a remembered life of Joan Grant.

As you will notice, seven 'bodies' are mentioned.

I will give more quotes later. I do not want a lot of text to wade through.

I had to read it few times but I think I get it now. Thanks a bunch when I leave work I will have to go home and read more in depth.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:15 PM
nightowl

Interesting...who is Joan Grant? Is this a description from a personal experience she had????
Old 04-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Bluegreen

You are welcome, Elena.

Here is another quote. Soul and Spirit according to Theosophy:

Quote:
Spirit is universal... It cannot know itself except as Soul. Spirit is the "power to become," Soul is "the becoming." Spirit is the power to see and know, Soul is the seeing and knowing. Soul is the accumulation of perceptions and experiences by means of which Spiritual Identity is realized.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:23 PM
Bluegreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowl
Interesting...who is Joan Grant? Is this a description from a personal experience she had????

Joan Grant was a psychic who wrote a number of books that described a few of her past lives. Winged Pharao is one of them. I have also quoted from Life as Carola, a life lived in 17th century Italy.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:28 PM
Elena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegreen
You are welcome, Elena.

Here is another quote. Soul and Spirit according to Theosophy:
Tell me if I am wrong but in the simplest terms the sprit can have different individualities through experience of each unique soul? I just need to know if I am understanding what you posted. Please let me know
Old 04-11-2011, 10:32 PM
Bluegreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena
Tell me if I am wrong but in the simplest terms the sprit can have different individualities through experience of each unique soul? I just need to know if I am understanding what you posted. Please let me know

As I understand it, we have our soul for as long as we need to be reincarnated on earth. It is the soul that makes use of different personalities. The memory of all the experiences (including I think those in the spirit world) are stored in our spirit.